Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I use vitamin e oil around my eye every night and although I'm too young to tell if its preventing wrinkles I do notice it has made the skin around that area very hydrated and bright (no more under eye circles). I heard it's a miracle for acne and hyperpigmentation (I'm prone to hyperpigmentation and whiteheads if its any consultation). Should I try using vitamin e on my face too? I'm a little scared if it will break me out. Any knowledge about vitamin e and skin would be awesome! Thanks for reading!

I hope you're aware that the substance found in the vast majority of vitamin E supplements (tocopherol acetate) isn't really vitamin E. It's an acetate ESTER of vitamin E, and is used in such supplements to maintain its stability in storage. When you swallow tocopherol acetate, stomach enzymes remove the acetate from the tocopherol, leaving you with tocopherol (pure vitamin E).

The issue here is what happens when you apply tocopherol acetate topically to your skin, rather than merely swallow it. I've seen a study which found that there are apparently skin enzymes which do go ahead and convert it to tocopherol (vitamin E), at least to some degree, but I don't think it happens as completely and thoroughly as it does when you swallow it. Keep that in mind! It might conceivably work better if you apply a pure, un-esterified tocopherol product to your skin, but then there are other problems associated with THAT method! :confused: