Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jess5020

After years of acne, I found a combo that works

I am 24 years old and have been suffering with acne since I was 18. I have tried every OTC product under the sun (e.g. tea tree oil, Desitin (yes, I tried that!), salicylic acid, various washes...) as well as many prescriptions (e.g. Retin-A Micro, minocycline, birth control, clindamycin, etc). At its worst, my acne is cystic -- and for years I would always have anywhere from 3-12 pimples on my face at any given time. About a year ago, my doctor prescribed Yasmin birth control and a clindamycin topical gel. It definitely helped -- my face went down to always having about 2-4 pimples at any given time, but I was never totally clear.

A couple months ago, I decided to try ProActiv, to get rid of the rest of the acne. Well, it didn't work at all -- the wash completely dried out my face, leaving me flaky and red, even if I only used it once a day, or even every other day. And I couldn't even touch my skin with their BP lotion because my skin would get completely inflamed.

To make this long story shorter, I've experimented with SO many combos of medicines, and I finally found one that has completely cleared up my skin. I just wanted to pass it along, in case it might possibly help anyone else out there.

This is my regimen:

(at night)

-- wash with ProActiv Renewing Cleanser (it's a BP wash, but it also has little beads or something in it, which help exfoliate)

-- after drying, wipe my face with a makeup wipe -- I use a brand called Equate, which I buy at WalMart -- they're called Facial Cleansing Wipes and on the package it says to compare them with Pond's Clean Sweep. They are the KEY to my regimen, because they totally moisturize my skin after washing with the BP, and they also wipe away any excess makeup or anything that wasn't washed off from earlier. I just wipe my face and let it air-dry

-- after that dries, I apply the clindamycin topical gel

-- take Yasmin birth control right before bed

My face has been clear for a good few months now. Sure, I get the occasional pimple, but it's so rare. Now, I have to deal with the scarring that my acne left me with!

Good luck...