Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebeccaDeWinter

I am strangely having trouble keeping weight on- is there something missing from my diet?

Over the past year, I've lost over 40 pounds. I'm 5'8'' and for awhile I plateaued at 137, so I cut down my portion sizes and dropped down to 125 pounds, which I found ideal. But I noticed I was still loosing weight so I upped my portions, I still kept losing, I upped them, and now I'm STILL losing! Now I'm eating more (I think) than I was eating when I plateaued at 137, and yet Im down to 120 today. I think that is underweight for my height, and it doesn't look that great either. The only exercise I do is a 30 minute brisk walks most days, 15 sit-ups, 15 squats, and a leg toning routine 3x a week-nothing strenuous by any means. This is what I ate yesterday, and its pretty typical, am I missing something?

Breakfast-

1 hard-boiled egg

1/2 cup quinoa

1/2 cup Greek yogurt

1 cup strawberries

I serving broccoli

2 tsp olive oil

lemon juice

Lunch

Omelette with:

1 egg

5 asparagus spears

1 oz. cheese

7 cashews

parsley

lemon juice

1/2 cup quinoa

Steamed beet chard

1/2 serving lentils

2 tsp olive oil

balsamic vinegar

lemon juice

1/2 cup strawberries

Snack

7 cashews

carrot

Dinner

"stew" with:

1/2 cup quinoa

lemon juice

chicken breast

4 kalamata olives

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

parsley

1 serv. broccoli

spinach

2 tsp olive oil

lemon juice

apple

---I appreciate any advice! I feel like I'm eating enough, I feel satisfied after I eat. It probably comes to around 1600-1700 calories. Oh I also take 1 tsp fish oil.

2tsp

Over the past year, I've lost over 40 pounds. I'm 5'8'' and for awhile I plateaued at 137, so I cut down my portion sizes and dropped down to 125 pounds, which I found ideal. But I noticed I was still loosing weight so I upped my portions, I still kept losing, I upped them, and now I'm STILL losing! Now I'm eating more (I think) than I was eating when I plateaued at 137, and yet Im down to 120 today. I think that is underweight for my height, and it doesn't look that great either. The only exercise I do is a 30 minute brisk walks most days, 15 sit-ups, 15 squats, and a leg toning routine 3x a week-nothing strenuous by any means. This is what I ate yesterday, and its pretty typical, am I missing something?

Breakfast-

1 hard-boiled egg

1/2 cup quinoa

1/2 cup Greek yogurt

1 cup strawberries

I serving broccoli

2 tsp olive oil

lemon juice

Lunch

Omelette with:

1 egg

5 asparagus spears

1 oz. cheese

7 cashews

parsley

lemon juice

1/2 cup quinoa

Steamed beet chard

1/2 serving lentils

2 tsp olive oil

balsamic vinegar

lemon juice

1/2 cup strawberries

Snack

7 cashews

carrot

Dinner

"stew" with:

1/2 cup quinoa

lemon juice

chicken breast

4 kalamata olives

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

parsley

1 serv. broccoli

spinach

2 tsp olive oil

lemon juice

apple

---I appreciate any advice! I feel like I'm eating enough, I feel satisfied after I eat. It probably comes to around 1600-1700 calories. Oh I also take 1 tsp fish oil.

2tsp

That looks really healthy to me, maybe your metabolism just sped up due to the exercise? Have you had your thyroid function checked? Just to be on the safe side. I always think the best thing to do is listen to your body, eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full.

I'm 5'8'' too and 120. I've been 120 for years and rarely get over the number. I got down to 113 on an acne diet but I upped the calories and I stay at 120 which is fine with me because we're all meant to be a weight and I'm sure that's mine. You can look into protein shakes or bars (maybe luna bars, lara bars or thinkthin bars) because they'll add a couple hundred calories easily.

Studies are showing that a lower body weight can extend lifespan, so think of it in a good way!

I just read the exact opposite... that thin people (not even clinically underweight, just thin) have a shorter lifespan. Who knows.

I have the same issue with not being able to gain weight. I started exercising regularly when I discovered it drastically reduced my oily skin and helped me sleep, but I lost way too much weight and have never been able to gain it back. I almost wish I'd never started exercising, cause I'd rather have oily skin than be so underweight. But I do have low levels of certain hormones (cortisol, progesterone, and maybe estrogen), which is definitely contributing to my being underweight. So I'm working on resolving that...

The only thing that helped me maintain or make small increases in my weight was a weight gainer that I took everyday, but unfortunately it's really not good for you, so I stopped taking it. I have been eating eggs again and I don't think they have too much of a bad effect on my acne, so I'll see if eating enough will help me gaining weight.

You're slightly underweight per BMI calculations. You also exercise more than the average American woman, but you eat fewer calories than the average American woman.

Does it feel like you've gotten weaker/lost significant muscle mass along with the 40 pounds? (Muscle loss is very typical when you lose a lot of weight). If so, it's a cause for concern. You eat healthy foods, but you should eat more of them--1/2 cup of yogurt? 7 cashews? I would increase portion sizes throughout your diet until you hit at least 2200 calories. If it feels like you're overeating, I would burn off some of the energy doing resistance exercise, which will work to increase muscle mass and strength back to normal levels.

thanks for your replies.

You're slightly underweight per BMI calculations. You also exercise more than the average American woman, but you eat fewer calories than the average American woman.

Does it feel like you've gotten weaker/lost significant muscle mass along with the 40 pounds? (Muscle loss is very typical when you lose a lot of weight). If so, it's a cause for concern. You eat healthy foods, but you should eat more of them--1/2 cup of yogurt? 7 cashews? I would increase portion sizes throughout your diet until you hit at least 2200 calories. If it feels like you're overeating, I would burn off some of the energy doing resistance exercise, which will work to increase muscle mass and strength back to normal levels.

My only guess is your diet is majorly lacking carbohydrates, i'm assuming your avoiding them but that is what i base my diet on for weight gain

You're not eating enough! I think you need more fat. You're eating a pretty lean diet, even with the olive oil and cashews.

Add in some organic butter, red meat, avocados, and almond butter. Also, one egg makes a really small omelette. Try using 2 or 3 whole eggs. Try making a smoothie with protein powder, a raw egg, full-fat yogurt, and some almond butter.

Fat isn't bad for you, contrary to popular belief. What's bad is fat that's been fried, or fat in the presence of massive amounts of simple carbs (wheat, etc).

I entered your info into a calorie requirements calculator thing and it says you should be eating 2127 calories per day.

PS -- I'm 5'2, weigh 108, and I have a hard time keeping weight on if I go below 1500 a day... and you are six inches taller than me!

You're not eating enough! I think you need more fat. You're eating a pretty lean diet, even with the olive oil and cashews. ...

PS -- I'm 5'2, weigh 108, and I have a hard time keeping weight on if I go below 1500 a day... and you are six inches taller than me!

Yeah, women deliberately practicing calorie restriction for longevity consume around 1700 per day.

The only way to maintain weight to the level of precision you desire is to count calories. You have the total calorie amount at 1700 now, so its good you are accustomed to counting. You should bump this up by 200 calorie increments every 1-2 weeks; e.g. start eating 1900 calories for 2 weeks and see if you still lose weight. If you still do, bump it up to 2100 and so on.

You also should record the macro-nutrient numbers (Protein, Carb, Fat) and shoot for something close to this percentage 30% Fat, 30% Protein, 40% carb. Sometimes fat is a little lower and carb is a little higher.

Since I have moved to a "paleo-like" diet, I've dropped from a peak of 198 down to 182. Who knows - I've cleared my acne and possibly a six pack at the same time!

Finally, if you are concerned about continued weight loss you should see a doctor to ensure there are no internal problems as other posters have mentioned (thyroid).