Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charlotte_89

dairy free - its worked for 1 month now!

Thank you everyone who replied to my other post, i have decided to go with the elimination diet , rather than spending all that money on tests

so i want to start with dairy and then move on to gluten, eggs, fruits, (don't really need to do nuts as i hardly eat any)

For me, this only really means cutting out milk, chocolate and butter.

I'll start tomorrow and cut out all dairy for 2 weeks exactly and see what happens.

Wish me luck :D

Good for you! I just wonder though if cutting dairy will reap visible changes in two weeks.

For some reason I think three weeks or more would be better, but that may not be plausible. I can tell you from experience that it took me almost four months after only cutting dairy before my face drastically changed (severe to mild) but there could be other effects involved.

Let us know how it goes :)

Thank you everyone who replied to my other post, i have decided to go with the elimination diet , rather than spending all that money on tests

so i want to start with dairy and then move on to gluten, eggs, fruits, (don't really need to do nuts as i hardly eat any)

For me, this only really means cutting out milk, chocolate and butter.

I'll start tomorrow and cut out all dairy for 2 weeks exactly and see what happens.

Wish me luck :D

Good choice, glad we could help and save you money at the same time :).

Today was my first day since I still had lots of milk to use up. I bought some almond milk to replace and I love it, keeps your hunger satisfied as well :D

I went for a glycolic peel and was told that my acne looks very hormonal, which relates to my messed up periods, so maybe it's not dairy making it worse. I'm still going to cut it out though, as an experiment.

I slipped up yesterday and ate, not one but TWO, 27% butter croissants :/

But other than that it's going well.

And my forehead has cleared up really well!! Maybe due to my no-dairy but possibly because of the sunshine. So we shall have to wait and see. Still another week to go, and maybe longer if I feel it's working.

I'm eating a picnic bar right now. :/ How do you stop yourself eating something, when you genuinely want to eat it, and feel you've been deprived for the last week..... mergh.

No dairy has helped me...80% improvement in my acne. Still get pimples but it's not what it used to when i was just eating anything and everything.

I'm eating a picnic bar right now. :/ How do you stop yourself eating something, when you genuinely want to eat it, and feel you've been deprived for the last week..... mergh.

The key to success is finding alternatives or substitutes for things that you crave/love. Try posting things you crave/love and see if people know substitutes or alternatives that'd be safe for you. That way you won't feel deprived :).

The key to success is finding alternatives or substitutes for things that you crave/love. Try posting things you crave/love and see if people know substitutes or alternatives that'd be safe for you. That way you won't feel deprived :).

I think you're right. Totally failed and I was doing so well haha. I might have to try that carob substiute thing.

Oh but update!! Is it too early for updates? Whatever. My forehead is completely C.l.e.a.r except for one HUGE monster inbetween my eyebrows, which was there before I started..all the tiny pimples that were all over my fore head disapeared within a few days. AND the hideous lump under my cheek actually looks like its decreased in size. Is that even possible? If i put make up on it now, the skin actually looks almost flat. This would not happen a week ago. Coincidence? Hmm!! Now I don't know if my forehead clearing was because of the sun or not. But fingers crossed I'm onto something.

I'm about to go on holiday for a week with my family and I'm hungry and in a foul mood. It's hard enough being dairy free over here but in Spain alot of the time it will be an eat wheat/dairy or go without food situation. And I'm not going to understand any of the packet labels.

Like seriously I don't want to eat crap for the next week and I foresee more than one family trips to Mcdonalds.

I have not prepared for this sufficiently at all.

:|

Okay for anyone out there who is reading, it has been 1 month since I seriously cut down my dairy intake.

Conclusion - This rocks!!

It's really worked for me. Either that, or something else has. But I am definitely going to keep limiting my dairy intake.

My forehead cleared almost instantly and has not come back even a month later!

And my chin no longer erupts at all - it's just left with red marks etc.

There are other things to take into consideration such as being on the 8th month of my minocycline, and the fact that I've been on holiday and had a lot of sun, but basically I have never had results like this beforein the past 5 years, apart from once after 3 or 4 heavy courses of different antibiotics.

Basically if you eat some form of dairy every day, its worth cutting it out for a while and see what happens , good luck :angel:

I have been avoiding dairy too for months as i believe that was partially my problem. My question is pizza. Omg i want to eat some pizza so bad its been over a month. The cheese on pizza could that cause a breakout? I am to terrified to try but i miss it soooooo much! lol I know butter can make me break out or cake since i didn't have any active pimples around mouth or chin and then the next day after i had bread with butter on it and some cake at a wedding reception i developed like 3 inflammed whiteheads on chin and near mouth.

I have been avoiding dairy too for months as i believe that was partially my problem. My question is pizza. Omg i want to eat some pizza so bad its been over a month. The cheese on pizza could that cause a breakout? I am to terrified to try but i miss it soooooo much! lol I know butter can make me break out or cake since i didn't have any active pimples around mouth or chin and then the next day after i had bread with butter on it and some cake at a wedding reception i developed like 3 inflammed whiteheads on chin and near mouth.

^^bump^^

Reactions to foods vary individually, you may or may not react to it; the only way to find out is to try it for yourself. I'd recommend not binging on pizza though (hard as that may be after abstaining for 1 month), so that you know for sure whether or not it was the pizza and not just simply overeating.

I never really get dairy :shrug:

There are at least two logical proposed mechanisms by which dairy can affect acne. Cordain proposes that of the many hormones in cow milk ("hormone-free" milk of course refers to not adding hormones, not to removing the grab-bag that the cow itself put there) it is plausible that one in particular could survive processing and digestion and (over-)stimulate skin cell production.

The other proposal is simply that lactose is sugar. There are, in turn, different proposals by which sugar might influence acne. Cordain thinks it has to do with insulin. I think it simply causes carb malabsorption that interferes with the digestion of tryptophan and zinc, two chemicals needed in order for the nightly melatonin surge to prevent acne.

Ironically, the OP consistently refers to getting "more sun", and bright light exposure in the eyes during the day can significantly reduce carbohydrate malabsorption. So, the increased sun and decreased dairy may be both affecting the same factor in the genesis of acne.

Guest veganwithacne

If you are craving pizza, try a dairy free pizza. You can find gluten & dairy-free pizza at the supermarket.

The brand we always buy is AMY'S it should be in your organic section. You can also make your own with soy-cheese found at most supermarkets or health food shops : )

I have been 100% dairy free for almost 4 years. My skin was fairly clear after I went vegan but is having some issues right now due to stopping birth control pills.

There are great dairy free alternatives to almost everything you may be craving.

the more I read about the affects milk can possibly have, the more i'm thinking it's true of me aswell. I admitt, I'm a huge milk drinker (6-10 glasses of milk a day or something like that) and I have 3-4 big cysts (atleast it has the appearance) that i'm currently fighting. I'm thinking about reducing but wonder what would be a safe alternitive? I know, when I was younger I had a birth allergy to milk and had to drink soy milk but now i have no problem in drinking milk.

myself and maybe others, would greatley be interested in some alternitive type of milk. Especially, considering I get the majority of my protein intake from milk.

^There are at least three ways dairy affects acne. There's also allergic reaction.

And possibly the iodine for those sensitive to it or who get too much from other sources or whatever the reason they claim iodine affects some people.