Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Audio111

Moisturizer

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. Recently, I've been looking into new moisturizers to try with the rest of the regimen since Dan's was giving me small pimples on my face for some odd reason. I came across a product called "Neutrogena Oil-Free Anti-Acne Moisturizer" which contains Salicylic Acid. My question is, Is it safe to mix BP with Salicylic Acid? I'm assuming the moisturizer has a very small amount of it.

Heres a link to the moisturizer: www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=159909&catid=28154&trxp1=35873

Thanks a bunch.

From the FAQs:

Q: Can I use salicylic acid with the Regimen?

A: This is probably a bad idea. The majority of medical books I scoured for acne medication information specifically warn against the combination of salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide, calling it "overly irritating". Several people on the Regimen have noted this.

This warning is echoed when combining benzoyl peroxide with several other acne medications as well, resorcinol and sulfur to name two. Remember, irritation aggravates breakouts. Choose a cleanser and moisturizer that are free of acne medications for best results.

I started out the regimen using a similar moisturizer (Clean & Clear Dual-Action Moisturizer or something like that, it had 0.5% SA in it). I would say that this was a mistake for someone starting out on the regimen, especially in cold winter weather - it just didn't moisturize nearly enough and the SA added a tiny bit of irritation.

That said, I think for someone who has been using BP for a long enough time to have no issues with a large amount and who has oily skin, this kind of moisturizer isn't a bad idea. SA itself at higher concentrations can work with BP at the same time, too, but you have to be used to the BP and know how it manages your acne before adding this in. I've used Dan's 2.0% salicylic acid tester product once a day on top of the BP and it's been a great addition, IMO, with no excess irritation. You just can't jump into these things is all.

Ah I see. I've been using BP for 6 months now and don't get any irritation anymore, so trying this moisturizer shouldn't be too big of a risk. I'll take things slowly with it, starting off with small amounts and working my way to more if all goes well.

I would sometimes use AHA or Salicylic acid after (or before) BP as a night time moisturizer and have had no problems (been on the regimen for about 6 months). would not recommend this to newbies but ok for someone who's fully adapted to BP

Working great so far :) ! Little to no irritation, even if I get a little it subsides within a few minutes after applying.