Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mibjkk

Diet Failure

I designed a strict diet with the intent of losing weight and stopping acne. It consisted of lots of meat/eggs and lots of fruit/vegetables/nuts. I also ate a small amount of oats, bran flakes, and two slices of whole wheat bread each day. (My previous diet was MUCH MUCH worse than this).

I'm not sure if combining weight loss and acne control was good, and I may have done it wrong, but this diet broke me out badly. It also gave me a stomach ache every day, even if I adjusted the fiber amount or meat intake.

I stopped the diet after a bit over a week because I was breaking out like I was 17 again.

As a result of this diet, I am beginning to see the acne/diet connection is very real.

BUT IT IS NOT ABSOLUTE. I also discovered that my body does not respond badly to sugar or milk, but something I was eating was not right.

See, when I realized my "healthy" diet was breaking me out and giving me stomach problems, I get quite pissed. Over about 24 hours that followed the diet (one evening till the next), I ate three normal meals of hot pockets, Taco Bell, and a self-cooked dinner of chicken and a ton of onions/peppers.

One other addition to that diet was thrown in there though. I was pissed, right? So I make a cake, and buy some ice cream. I ate an entire cake. I ate an entire can of frosting. I ate an entire carton of ice cream. This was in 24 hours.

I was extremely happy for that period due to sugar-high. My face actually began healing from the previous week's breakout, and my stomach seemed just dandy. (It helps that I had about a 2000 calorie deficit from the previous week and also did MAJOR physical exertion that afternoon). However, my point is, we're all different. Don't waste your whole life focusing on eliminating things that you read about on internet forums, instead experiment.

I had spent months avoiding ANY dairy (very slight improvement I thought), and minimal sugar (no effect?). But, my acne didn't get much better. I'm going to try other things, sure, but it's going to be all experimentation, not reading forums. I also think I'm going to start trying some medications.

The bottom line is this: acne sucks. If you experiment and find a diet that controls your acne, then wonderful. But if you're unable to find or maintain a diet that provides SIGNIFICANT improvement, then reconsider your approach. I personally have fretted over what I eat for years in hopes of my acne finally starting to clear up. The more I think about it, over these years, major dietary changes only coincided with acne changes whenever my situation changed (move to college, for example). Maybe it wasn't diet ever.

Either way, my next experiment is very simple: No beef or nuts. I've always been a big beef eater and never really considered it as a potential culprit, but maybe it is. Of course, I'm finally going to let myself go back to milk and sugar too, and stop worrying about it.

Fuck acne, it kills me.

I designed a strict diet with the intent of losing weight and stopping acne. It consisted of lots of meat/eggs and lots of fruit/vegetables/nuts. I also ate a small amount of oats, bran flakes, and two slices of whole wheat bread each day. (My previous diet was MUCH MUCH worse than this).

I'm not sure if combining weight loss and acne control was good, and I may have done it wrong, but this diet broke me out badly. It also gave me a stomach ache every day, even if I adjusted the fiber amount or meat intake.

I stopped the diet after a bit over a week because I was breaking out like I was 17 again.

As a result of this diet, I am beginning to see the acne/diet connection is very real.

BUT IT IS NOT ABSOLUTE. I also discovered that my body does not respond badly to sugar or milk, but something I was eating was not right.

See, when I realized my "healthy" diet was breaking me out and giving me stomach problems, I get quite pissed. Over about 24 hours that followed the diet (one evening till the next), I ate three normal meals of hot pockets, Taco Bell, and a self-cooked dinner of chicken and a ton of onions/peppers.

One other addition to that diet was thrown in there though. I was pissed, right? So I make a cake, and buy some ice cream. I ate an entire cake. I ate an entire can of frosting. I ate an entire carton of ice cream. This was in 24 hours.

I was extremely happy for that period due to sugar-high. My face actually began healing from the previous week's breakout, and my stomach seemed just dandy. (It helps that I had about a 2000 calorie deficit from the previous week and also did MAJOR physical exertion that afternoon). However, my point is, we're all different. Don't waste your whole life focusing on eliminating things that you read about on internet forums, instead experiment.

I had spent months avoiding ANY dairy (very slight improvement I thought), and minimal sugar (no effect?). But, my acne didn't get much better. I'm going to try other things, sure, but it's going to be all experimentation, not reading forums. I also think I'm going to start trying some medications.

The bottom line is this: acne sucks. If you experiment and find a diet that controls your acne, then wonderful. But if you're unable to find or maintain a diet that provides SIGNIFICANT improvement, then reconsider your approach. I personally have fretted over what I eat for years in hopes of my acne finally starting to clear up. The more I think about it, over these years, major dietary changes only coincided with acne changes whenever my situation changed (move to college, for example). Maybe it wasn't diet ever.

Either way, my next experiment is very simple: No beef or nuts. I've always been a big beef eater and never really considered it as a potential culprit, but maybe it is. Of course, I'm finally going to let myself go back to milk and sugar too, and stop worrying about it.

ok, this is just me but the meat and wheat could have been breaking you out and giving you digestion problems. meat can contain hormones and iodine which is known for breakouts. the gluten in the wheat can be a culprit too. maybe start using a probiotic to help with digestion.