Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TonyZ

Swimming in pool

Its been pretty hot lately and i have been swimming in my pool a lot.But i am afraid that the chlorine is going to make me break out. i have read that chlorine in tap water is bad for acne. Do you think swimming could be bad for acne

Strangely ive heard a rumor its good for acne.

I dont know if thats true but its just something someone i know told me.

And EDIT:

Michigan isnt hot.

Come down to Texas and enjoy our 105 days.

:)

And EDIT:

Michigan isnt hot.

lol. Well 85 is hot for northern michigan.

And EDIT:

Michigan isnt hot.

What part of Michigan?

My family lives up there.

And EDIT:

Michigan isnt hot.

What part of Michigan?

My family lives up there.

West Branch.

I find that both swimming and tanning are helpful for my skin. And they need not be in conjunction with one another. I find out of the two, swimming is most beneficial for clearing my skin up.

Well for me it kinda helps. Since my skin is oily, it prevents that, but also it makes the redness appearance of my acne lessen or even go away temporary. So like if I swim in the afternoon, the acne will be less visible for say the better half of the rest of the day. Although, people's skin can be different. I remember when I was on a doctor's prescribed medication, my face had an allergic reaction from the combination of the medication and the chlorine (or even the sun, or something else, idk). That's why I had to stop using the medication because of the reaction. I really liked how the prescription worked though, it had finally just gotten to work, and my when I got new pimples they would be little/tiny things. Just swim, I guess, and see what your face looks like!

Its been pretty hot lately and i have been swimming in my pool a lot.But i am afraid that the chlorine is going to make me break out. i have read that chlorine in tap water is bad for acne. Do you think swimming could be bad for acne

It could. Chlorine dries out the skin, much like benzoyl peroxide which is part benzoyl chloride.

I am a swimmer and a surfer, pretty much in the water everyday.

Let us start with the pool. Chlorine can be good for acne, especially if the pool is outdoors as you will be getting some sun which is important. Trust me, I feared the sun, but the sun has helped my acne a lot! The only time I break out, and in large quantities, is if the pool has to much chlorine. In fact, you can tell because it will itch you and burn your eyes; it’s happened to me a few times. It is important that you put lotion on your face and body after swimming, do not forget this as chlorine dries your skin out.

Now to the beach part. I go surfing for hours at a time. I use sunscreen before I go into the water, and the sun has not bothered me at all…just made me real dark. The water in the ocean is excellent for your skin and I see that it has evened out my skin a little and a lot of my red marks have faded.

The only negative problem that I have encountered about swimming is that if there is to much chlorine, it’s guaranteed I will break out because of excessive drying. Just use lotion after the pool, sunscreen for the beach, and make sure to get all that energy out of you. ;)

Hoped that helped. Also, swimming has done wonders for my acne as well making feel great.

I think swimming in a clean pool is very good for the skin, especially drying out scabs. Wen i spend Sun and swimming are the 2 things that help the most. Im sure the ocean (greatest thing in the world) wuld also help, but i dont live anywhere near one.

the only reason y im skeptic bout it is cuz a LOT of swimmers at my school have pretty bad acne.

so i cant say. But IMO its the best thing there is sides accutane

jus have a good time and go swimming. lol..wish i had a pool

Exactly, it's best not to think about it.

Chlorine makes little difference although stressing about it can make a huge difference!

On to the more scientific part of my post.

Chlorine in small amounts can benefit acne for two reasons

A. It kills bacteria and cleans your face, that is why it's in pools. To kill bacteria in the pool.

B. It dries out the skin, preventing sebum production.

Then again though, too much chlorine irritates the skin. Too much of any chemical will irritate the skin.