Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sdba25

Benzyl Peroxide BAD for long-term use.

Well, I have seen peer -reviewed stuff. I read it. I didn't save it. It was awhile ago. I am looking.

I really shouldn't have to, since I am not even on any BP product. I do want people to be informed before they use it, so, I will look for it.

Are you being this negative because you work for this board site?

Are you being negative because you work for a company that sells something else?

By the way, moderators here have nothing to do with the danielkern site. We're all volunteer. Many of us don't even use the products. ;)

No, I don't work for anyone selling anything.

Putting chemicals all over your skin for years is just bad.

Mice are used to test for diseases all the time and are accepted by the scientific community. Are you a scientist? Are you saying the scientific community is wrong, lol? I know you aren't saying that, but I had to ask. ;)

Here's an article from PubMed on IN VITRO studies, not on rats, that says it's cancer promoting.

The experiments reported here demonstrate that benzoyl peroxide (BP) can promote radiation induced transformation in vitro. BP is shown to be capable of generating free radicals, determined by the kinetics of hydroxylation as measured by fluorescence of coumarin-3-carboxylic acid. Although the mechanisms involved in the BP enhancement of radiation transformation are unknown, we hypothesize that lipid peroxidation produced by benzoyl radicals in the vicinity of membrane associated unsaturated lipids could contribute to the promotion of transformation in vitro.

ANY kind of cleansers = chemicals. ANY kind of acne treatment product = chemicals. BP, toner, soap, whatever = chemicals. Even plain water is a chemical. It's hydrogen and oxygen combined.

The mods don't work for Dan. We have been entrusted because we're objective and informed. We volunteer so we're not "pushing" anything for a paycheck. I have a full time job outside of this site and don't get paid squat to moderate.

New argument, please.

An article I wrote (that is fully referenced!) on BPO safety. It is more on the BPO-cancer issue, but it also covers the limitations of using research on mice to determine safety of BPO for humans.

Also, I did a search in pubmed for the terms "aging and benzoyl peroxide". The search resulted in exactly 8 articles - seven of these articles had nothing to do with any evaluation of the effects of BPO on skin aging. The terms just happened to co-occur in the article abstracts (e.g., one was on treating acne in an "aging" population, and listed a number of treatments, including BPO. It was NOT an evaluation of the effects of BPO on aging). You have to do more than just count the number of articles that a pubmed search finds. You have to at least read the abstracts to see what the study was actually about and maybe even read *gasp* the orignial article. That is how one does actual RESEARCH on a topic.

Benzoyl Peroxide Safety

Q: Is there a link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer?

• Currently, no research has found a link between benzoyl peroxide use and skin cancer in humans. Two studies that investigated the link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer in people found no increased risk of skin cancer in people who had used benzoyl peroxide to treat acne. 1 2

• After conducting a series of studies and a doing a comprehensive review of the existing research on the link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer, one researcher concluded that “no epidemiological evidence exists of a carcinogenic effect of skin treatment with BPO containing gels or ointments in 5 or 10% concentrations.†3 Other experts have concluded that topical benzoyl peroxide is considered to be a safe treatment for acne and that there is no current evidence to indicate that it poses a carcinogenic or toxicological risk to humans. 4 5

• Research studies have used cancer-sensitive strains of mice to study the effects of benzoyl peroxide on tumor growth. The mice in these studies are generally pre-exposed to UV radiation or a chemical that causes the development of the tumors; then the benzoyl peroxide is applied to the mouse skin. Some of these studies have found that benzoyl peroxide caused existing tumors on the skin to grow larger, but did not cause the development of new tumors. 6 In the vast majority of studies, benzoyl peroxide was not found to cause new tumors to develop. These mouse studies are often cited on websites that are trying to sell alternatives to benzoyl peroxide as evidence that benzoyl peroxide is a carcinogen. The results of the studies and their implications may be overstated and misinterpreted by these companies.

• One article highlights the limitations of this line of research in mice for the application to safety assessment for humans: 7

o The mice used in the research are of a particularly sensitive strain – mice specifically bred to be susceptible to developing tumors.

o There are significant physiological differences between mouse and human skin.

o Other substances that are tumor promoters in mice are not linked to cancer in humans, even with long-term exposure.

o The tumor promotion is only seen under certain specific experimental conditions.

o How benzoyl peroxide is used in these studies differs considerably from how it is used in the treatment of acne and very strong BPO concentrations are often used. Studies using commercial formulations of benzoyl peroxide do not generally find the same tumor promoting effect in mice. 8

• The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lists benzoyl peroxide as a category III substance (safety uncertain). However, the FDA concerns were not so extreme as to lead them to recommend discontinuing the use of benzoyl peroxide medications. 9 The FDA has called for additional research on the carcinogenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. According to the FDA, this research is currently being conducted.

• The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), which classifies substances based on carcinogenicity, has concluded that there is inadequate evidence for the carcinogenicity of benzoyl peroxide in humans and limited evidence in experimental animals for the carcinogenicity of benzoyl peroxide. The IARC does not categorize benzoyl peroxide as being carcinogenic; its carcinogenicity is labeled as being unknown. 10

References:

Cartwright, R.A., Hughes, B.R., Cunliffe WJ (1988). Malignant melanoma, benzoyl peroxide and acne: a pilot epidemiological case-control investigation. Br J Dermatol, 118(2):239-42.

Hogan, D.J., To, T., Wilson, E.R., Miller, A.B., Robson, D., Holfeld, K., Lane, P. (1991). A study of acne treatments as risk factors for skin cancer of the head and neck. Br J Dermatol. 125(4):343-8.

Iverson, O.H. (1994). Benzoyl peroxide and possible skin cancer risks in mice and humans. In Skin Cancer: Mechanisms and Human Relevance, CrC Series in Dermatology, (Mukhtar, H., Ed.) pgs 13-20.

Zbinden, G. (1988). Scientific opinion on the carcinogenic risk due to topical administration of benzoyl peroxide for the treatment of acne vulgaris. Pharmacol Toxicol, 63: 307.

Lidén, S., Lindelöf,B.,& Sparén, P. (1990). Is benzoyl peroxide carcinogenic? Br J Dermatol., 123(1):129-30.

O'Connell, J.F., Klein-Szanto, A.J., DiGiovanni, D.M., Fries, J.W., Slaga, T.J. (1986). Enhanced malignant progression of mouse skin tumors by the free-radical generator benzoyl peroxide. Cancer Res. 46(6): 2863-2865.

Kraus, A.L., Munro, I.C., Orr, J.C., Binder, R.L., LeBoeuf, R.A., Williams, G.M. (1995). Benzoyl peroxide: an integrated human safety assessment for carcinogenicity. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 21(1):87-107.

Iverson, O.H. (1988). Skin tumorigenesis and carcinogenesis studies with 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene, ultraviolet light, benzoyl peroxide (Panoxyl gel 5%) and ointment gel. Carcinogenesis. 9(5):803-9.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/otcmonographs/Acne...PR_19950217.pdf

http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol71...nzoylperox.html

its okay _jordan, Wynne tends to blame everyone of working for a company when you oppose BP, its kind of a paranoid reaction whenever someone tells the truth about it.

Well, I have seen peer -reviewed stuff. I read it. I didn't save it. It was awhile ago. I am looking.

I really shouldn't have to, since I am not even on any BP product. I do want people to be informed before they use it, so, I will look for it.

Are you being negative because you work for a company that sells something else?

By the way, moderators here have nothing to do with the danielkern site. We're all volunteer. Many of us don't even use the products. ;)

whats up with you always thinking people here are undercover trying to sell something for companys

whats up with you always thinking people here are undercover trying to sell something for companys
its okay _jordan, Wynne tends to blame everyone of working for a company when you oppose BP, its kind of a paranoid reaction whenever someone tells the truth about it.

It was Wynne's response to _jordan_ saying,

Wynne's a very fair mod, actually, and your little accusations are completely uncalled for.

u know proactive and acnefree products use bp daily also?

:boohoo: let us all go down together with pretty faces :clap:

but now that you mention this i will definitely limit my Bp usage which i wanted to do anyway since its expensive and time consuming but ive only been doing it once a day for the past 2 years the first year i did it day and night to get rid of all acne but now its pretty much very few acne every once in a while.

but yeah although this thread is a bit over the top in its warning, i mean eating burned meat is probably worse for you then BP is but it has let me realize i dont need to smother my face in it as much as i used to since i dont have as many pimples as i did years ago...

im starting to feel freeer lol

dare i one day quit the regimen :D

maybe ill start doing it 1 night on and off and keep doing it less and less and see how it goes

thanks for new perspective

I totally applaud anyone trying to get us acne-sufferers new information on treatment but this foreboding warning against BP seems to me to be quite unfounded. Firstly, if you are a dermatologist, I ask that you please cite any type of text or research that backs up your claims. I cannot begin to evaluate your claims fairly without such proof. Although I have only been on the regimen for a short while, I have seen a substantial improvement in my skin's clarity.

Also, adamrodriguez has really unhelpful posts (as he seems to miss the point of giving advice not chastising those who opt for different treatment) and is so condescending to mods and other users. I'd like to see less of him and his snark on these forums, as I come to them for actual advice and support.

The original poster of this thread signed up, made this post, logged out, and hasn't been back since. Granted, it's only been about thirty six hours, but part of me kind of doubts we'll hear from him again.

^ Yup. Especially after failing to know some pretty damned basic chemistry.

^ Yup. Especially after failing to know some pretty damned basic chemistry.

Well, maybe he went to one of those med schools where they don't require knowledge of basic chemistry. :doh:

Guest missyjean130

Bp may be drying if you don't use anything else on your face...but if you use a moisturizer and ph balanced cleanser then it shouldn't really dry you. I also understand that 10% BP is just as effective as 2% BP except the lower dosage has less of a drying effect. You usually have to work your way up from 2-10%

Bp has been used for a friggin' long time,while I'm not a huge fan of it myself,it does work for some people.

There's not a lot of hard facts backing up the whole BP and cancer/aging issue,like willow said. I think a lot of companies like to play up the possibilities of it causing cancer and premature againg to boost the sales of their own product. A really big thing right now IS all natural and organic products,so of course they're going to condemn BP.

articles

Skin tumor-promoting activity of benzoyl peroxide, a widely used free radical-generating compound

TJ Slaga, AJ Klein-Szanto, LL Triplett, LP Yotti, and KE Trosko

Benzoyl peroxide, a widely used free radical-generating compound, promoted both papillomas and carcinomas when it was topically applied to mice after 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene initiation. Benzoyl peroxide was inactive on the skin as a complete carcinogen or as a tumor initiator. A single topical application of benzoyl peroxide produced a marked epidermal hyperplasia and induced a large number of dark basal keratinocytes, effects similar to those produced by the potent tumor promoter 12-O-tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate. Benzoyl peroxide, like other known tumor promoters, also inhibited metabolic cooperation (intercellular communication) in Chinese hamster cells. In view of these results caution should be recommended in the use of this and other free radical-generating compounds.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abst...ourcetype=HWCIT

articles

Skin tumor-promoting activity of benzoyl peroxide, a widely used free radical-generating compound

Benzoyl peroxide, a widely used free radical-generating compound, promoted both papillomas and carcinomas when it was topically applied to mice after 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene initiation. Benzoyl peroxide was inactive on the skin as a complete carcinogen or as a tumor initiator. A single topical application of benzoyl peroxide produced a marked epidermal hyperplasia and induced a large number of dark basal keratinocytes, effects similar to those produced by the potent tumor promoter 12-O-tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate. Benzoyl peroxide, like other known tumor promoters, also inhibited metabolic cooperation (intercellular communication) in Chinese hamster cells. In view of these results caution should be recommended in the use of this and other free radical-generating compounds.

Sure, if you're a hamster.

Guest missyjean130
articles

Sure, if you're a hamster.

It reminds me of when my step-mom and mother got into this huge argument about artifcial sweetner. Step-mom said it was cancer causing,mom said she was full o'crap. Step-mom said it caused cancer cells in mice. Mom won this argument by stating the large amount of saccrin (sp?) they actually fed the mice ,the size of the mouse,the fact it's a completely different species,etc

Hydroquine (a skin bleaching agent) is also a carcinogen in higher amounts,which is why you don't see it past 2% concentrations.

I guess I'll give my personal experience with Benzoyl Peroxide.

I have used dans bp for about 3 years now if I remember correctly. It was the best thing i had ever tried and was much more effective than anything else i had ever used. But i recently started noticing some alarming characteristics of my skin that werent present 3, or to my knowledge even 1.5 years ago. I started using bp once at night only instead of twice a day about 8 months ago. What ive noticed is an incredible increase in my skins oil production. By the end of the day my face is noticeably oily, so much so that it appears that i am actually sweating. It seems that i am producing oil much more quickly and in greater amounts than i used to. I am not trying to spur any violent arguments, just giving my story for anyone to comment on.

I think I am going to slowly start cutting back my use of bp. Maybe i will ramp up my use of moisturizers and jojoba oil in particular. It seems logical that this would decrease my oil production over time. I will keep you posted on my findings...

well to the Few rat/hamster experiments i give you this, at a cellular level we are quite similar in function

but there are thousands maybe millions of people that use benzoyl peroxide and how many do you hear saying they popped up with cancer one day?

bp obviously isnt healthy but neither is walking around with a war going on your face

first of all ... lol @ claiming to be a derm on an internet message board. :lol:

If you use it on your whole face on a daily basis, what will happen after a while is that all of the oil glands in your face will slowly ramp up their production of sebum (oil) to try to compensate for the dryness.

Using ANY synthetic chemical on your face, body, etc. is "bad" for you. In fact, if we look up "foods & cancer" in google, I'm sure millions of pages will pop up that outline all the different food, preservatives, and things that we EAT that causes cancer- not to mention chemicals that we put on our face. I've been using Dan's BP for the past 2.5 years, and so far, I have nothing but compliments about it. Before, I used to pay a visit to the derm every half a year or so, shelling out 100+ for the visit (my insurance doesn't cover aesthetic things such as acne), PLUS $50 for a bottle of clindamycin phosphate AND antibiotics. Now, if BP is bad for you, is "clindamycin phosphate" good for you? That is also synthetic, man made. Antibiotics is good for you? I would much rather be hooked on BP then on antibiotics simply because of acne. I felt like I was killing off my immune system every time I took a pill.

As far as all that research on cancer, I used to work at a cancer lab. By no means am I am expert, and I'm definitely not a dermatologist. But if there's anything that I DO know about cancer, IT IS MORE COMPLICATED THAN ANY ONE PAPER CAN OUTLINE! There are hundreds of pathways, thousands of molecules, cells, promoters, enzymes, etc etc that WE don't even understand. If we knew so much about cancer, why isn't there a cure for it already? To say that any one product causes cancer really means nothing to me. Until a lab can map out directly how that one product gives me cancer, and tell me when the tumor will form, I'll take that research with a grain of salt. Unless you're a scientist specializing in cancerous cells, most of us just read an article and see a word such as "benzyl peroxide.........cancer" and think BP=cancer. Nope, not really. The media hypes up research and tends to cater it to the normal population: aka, they blow the information out into something that it isn't.

For Mr. Dermatologist telling people to go on accutane instead of BP, I think that if accutane worked that well for people, then we wouldn't be on this site, now would we?

Oh and for those who have problems with dry skin when using BP, I always use vitamin E cream along with it. It keeps my skin healthy, without any of the dryness. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and for those who have problems with dry skin when using BP, I always use vitamin E cream along with it. It keeps my skin healthy, without any of the dryness. Just my 2 cents.

The only problem I had with BP was using too much of it, the adverse effect was that it aggravated my already dry skin. I tweaked the amount I used, and now I only apply the amount that is appropriate for my skin type. Thanks for the tip lili.

I want to hear opinions from veteran users of Regimen. Did someone notice an increased amount of sebum while taking a pause from Regimen? Did someone experienced a severe come-back of acne after not using BP?

I noticed that my acne is diminished, but I don't know if it's because Dan's Regimen, or because I start to grow out of it(after my mum's oppinion). I preffer to wait a little and grow out of it ,instead of make it more severe.

I have used Dan's Regimen for about 2,5 months and I'm afraid to continue, after reading this post.

What do you think?

All,

While I am in no way against this product or what it does (I think it is great that Dan is selling it in large quantities), BEWARE of using Benzyl Peroxide as a full regimen. It was developed and manufactured to be a spot treatment only, and there is a BIG reason for that.

Using BP on your whole face over the long term causes a lot more harm than it does good. Benzyl Peroxide does kill your P-Acnes and will generally clear up your acne, but it also has a major drying effect on your skin. If you use it on your whole face on a daily basis, what will happen after a while is that all of the oil glands in your face will slowly ramp up their production of sebum (oil) to try to compensate for the dryness. While not irrevocable, this increased production of oil is permanent. You will become dependent on BP and not be able to stop using it, because as soon as you do, you will have severe (and often cystic) breakouts due to your skin producing 10 times more oil than it should. As you well know, overproduction of sebum is the number 1 cause of acne, the bacteria feeds on it.

As a well experienced dermatologist dealing with thousands of cases of Adult Acne, I just thought I should warn everybody about the effects of long-term BP use. You should not use Benzyl Peroxide products as a long-term acne regimen as this website claims, because if you do, sooner or later you will end up on Accutane if you ever want to get off of the stuff. You are much better off saving your clothes from getting bleached and just going on something systemic right from the getgo if you suspect a case of adult acne. If one cycle of Accutane isn't enough and the acne comes back after a while, a second cycle can be administered which often puts your acne into permanent (or very long term) remission, without the need for putting expensive harmful creams on your face every night and waiting 30 minutes for it to dry. Accutane does have some side effects, but as long as you don't go on any higher than a 40mg dose they are usually very minor...dry lips, sun sensitivity, and a bit of general fatigue. Very small price to pay to get rid of your acne for many years.

With all do respect, are you NUTS?! Accutane has just been taken off the market because it is DANGEROUS.

LINK