Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sdba25

Benzyl Peroxide BAD for long-term use.

All,

While I am in no way against this product or what it does (I think it is great that Dan is selling it in large quantities), BEWARE of using Benzyl Peroxide as a full regimen. It was developed and manufactured to be a spot treatment only, and there is a BIG reason for that.

Using BP on your whole face over the long term causes a lot more harm than it does good. Benzyl Peroxide does kill your P-Acnes and will generally clear up your acne, but it also has a major drying effect on your skin. If you use it on your whole face on a daily basis, what will happen after a while is that all of the oil glands in your face will slowly ramp up their production of sebum (oil) to try to compensate for the dryness. While not irrevocable, this increased production of oil is permanent. You will become dependent on BP and not be able to stop using it, because as soon as you do, you will have severe (and often cystic) breakouts due to your skin producing 10 times more oil than it should. As you well know, overproduction of sebum is the number 1 cause of acne, the bacteria feeds on it.

As a well experienced dermatologist dealing with thousands of cases of Adult Acne, I just thought I should warn everybody about the effects of long-term BP use. You should not use Benzyl Peroxide products as a long-term acne regimen as this website claims, because if you do, sooner or later you will end up on Accutane if you ever want to get off of the stuff. You are much better off saving your clothes from getting bleached and just going on something systemic right from the getgo if you suspect a case of adult acne. If one cycle of Accutane isn't enough and the acne comes back after a while, a second cycle can be administered which often puts your acne into permanent (or very long term) remission, without the need for putting expensive harmful creams on your face every night and waiting 30 minutes for it to dry. Accutane does have some side effects, but as long as you don't go on any higher than a 40mg dose they are usually very minor...dry lips, sun sensitivity, and a bit of general fatigue. Very small price to pay to get rid of your acne for many years.

I know you claim to be a dermatologist, but do you have any studies you could link us to that back this information up?

There are plenty of members of this site that have been using BP as directed for The Regimen for years, and they're fine. Dan has been using The Regimen for about a decade, and his skin is lovely. I, myself, have been on The Regimen for over a year, and my skin isn't overly dry or oily. In fact, this is the healthiest my skin has been since I was a young teenager.

this is very very interesting.. i think its just abnormal to use bp all over your face everyday until you stop producing oil cuz most ppl on this site have bad acne and to use bp all overy our face twice a day is just too much and i believe it should only be used for small " areas" of the skin instead of the entire face

Have you ever been on accutane? No? I have. I would never consider doing it again, especially just for mild-moderate acne.

And BP isn't even that drying on the skin, as long as you use moisturizer twice a day.

I don't care if you say you're a doctor, there are many doctors out there who don't know what they're talking about anyway.

and I've used BP for a long time then stopped, and no I didn't get severe/cystic acne. My face broke out, yes, but that's because I wasn't using the BP.

So it sounds to me like you actually have no self experience with anything you're talking about.

I have also used BP for years with no problems. Additionally, ramped up oil production is not permanent, and I know this from personal experience. It is almost always a problem caused by a lack of using moisturizer. I stopped the regimen for about 3 months, and used a normal moisturizer, and my skin adapted and returned back to normal levels of oil production.

Sounds to me like Mr./Mrs. Dermatologist is just mad that Dan has an effective way of treating acne that doesn't involve going to the doctor.

I'm a pterodactyl (because I say so!) and I disapprove the original poster's message.

I share your sentiments sbda, heres my story/experience with BP:

I only used the BP regimen for 5 days, the first day my entire face was completely red, the 2nd day the redness went down and kept on with the regimen, the 3rd day i felt really dry and overprodution of oil started to become noticeable, by the time of the fifth day my entire T-zone area of the face felt extremely dry and extremely oily at the same time, my forehead started to feel like paper, the feeling of dry paper machet' on the forehead and eyebrow ridge area. Indeed i was much more worse off then when i havent used BP. At this point i started looking for answers, and i found the answer by studying how the skin works and what it needs to be moist and healthy and what skin needs to prevent acne breakouts or lessen the amount of acne. Skin needs to be cleansed with non-irritating ingredients such as all-natural no oils, rubbing alcohol, exfoliators, chemicals like BP, and etc. and needs to be moisturized every day. Our skin is about 15% moisture so it is really important in daily skincare.

I only used the BP regimen for 5 days, the first day my entire face was completely red, the 2nd day the redness went down and kept on with the regimen, the 3rd day i felt really dry and overprodution of oil started to become noticeable, by the time of the fifth day my entire T-zone area of the face felt extremely dry and extremely oily at the same time, my forehead started to feel like paper, the feeling of dry paper machet' on the forehead and eyebrow ridge area. Indeed i was much more worse off then when i havent used BP. At this point i started looking for answers, and i found the answer by studying how the skin works and what it needs to be moist and healthy and what skin needs to prevent acne breakouts or lessen the amount of acne. Skin needs to be cleansed with non-irritating ingredients such as all-natural no oils, rubbing alcohol, exfoliators, chemicals like BP, and etc. and needs to be moisturized every day. Our skin is about 15% moisture so it is really important in daily skincare.

5 whole days, wow! You're now a BP expert. At least that's what you say.

5 whole days, wow! You're now a BP expert. At least that's what you say.

yup it only took 5 whole days to notice the side-effects, probably because it was 5% BP. For some it probably takes longer if ever to see side-effects but for me it only took 5 days. I actually took pictures of my red face the first day on BP and 5 days after using BP.. You saw the first pic Wynne i remember you giving me advice on how to decrease the redness. i looked HORRIBLE.

by the way i never said i was a BP expert i just talk about my own personal experience with it. By the way why the hell would i use it for longer then 5 days if it gave me side-effects? Im not going to gamble with my face and wait 3-4 months like DKR experts say, sorry, im just not going to do it.

im not going to fight with you Wynne, the last time i did you suspended my account.

Board Rules:

No fighting: personal attacks and bickering are not allowed. Healthy disagreement is welcomed, but do not flame ideas or another person.

I love how some people don't understand that sometimes things have side-effects in the beginning that you just have to put up with until the stuff starts working.

Man, if I gave up on birth control pills just because they made me nauseous for the first week, I'd be having babies left and right.

im not going to fight with you Wynne, the last time i did you suspended my account.

Board Rules:

No fighting: personal attacks and bickering are not allowed. Healthy disagreement is welcomed, but do not flame ideas or another person.

Good idea, calling me names wasn't very nice of you. :)

For me, BP seems to work quite well as a spot treatment. I found that when using BP on my entire face, it messed up my skin tone. My skin where the BP was used looked very old and dried up. I decided to change things up and just use BP as a spot treatment and my skin went back to normal. I think that for some people BP won't do any harm, but for other people it can do some bad things. That's just my opinion on the subject.

i dont think we should be bashing him. he says he has nothing against the use of BP and just like every doctor you will come across they have different opinions. although he has no research to back up his theory i think its something for every BP user to consider because as we all know different people have different reactions to BP or any kind of medication short or long term.

yeah i believe that once the bp gets you clear let it go and find wash with either water or a ph balanced cleanser without harsh chemicals

All,

While I am in no way against this product or what it does (I think it is great that Dan is selling it in large quantities), BEWARE of using Benzyl Peroxide as a full regimen. It was developed and manufactured to be a spot treatment only, and there is a BIG reason for that.

Using BP on your whole face over the long term causes a lot more harm than it does good. Benzyl Peroxide does kill your P-Acnes and will generally clear up your acne, but it also has a major drying effect on your skin. If you use it on your whole face on a daily basis, what will happen after a while is that all of the oil glands in your face will slowly ramp up their production of sebum (oil) to try to compensate for the dryness. While not irrevocable, this increased production of oil is permanent. You will become dependent on BP and not be able to stop using it, because as soon as you do, you will have severe (and often cystic) breakouts due to your skin producing 10 times more oil than it should. As you well know, overproduction of sebum is the number 1 cause of acne, the bacteria feeds on it.

As a well experienced dermatologist dealing with thousands of cases of Adult Acne, I just thought I should warn everybody about the effects of long-term BP use. You should not use Benzyl Peroxide products as a long-term acne regimen as this website claims, because if you do, sooner or later you will end up on Accutane if you ever want to get off of the stuff. You are much better off saving your clothes from getting bleached and just going on something systemic right from the getgo if you suspect a case of adult acne. If one cycle of Accutane isn't enough and the acne comes back after a while, a second cycle can be administered which often puts your acne into permanent (or very long term) remission, without the need for putting expensive harmful creams on your face every night and waiting 30 minutes for it to dry. Accutane does have some side effects, but as long as you don't go on any higher than a 40mg dose they are usually very minor...dry lips, sun sensitivity, and a bit of general fatigue. Very small price to pay to get rid of your acne for many years.

Why would you become dependent on it? That's one of the major highlights of BP usage - bacteria cannot develop a resistance to it, because it's essentially oxygen and p. acnes is an anaerobic bacteria.

Benzyl? Seriusly?

in organic chemistry, benzyl is the term used to describe the substituent or molecular fragment possessing the structure C6H5CH2-. The abbreviation "Bn" is frequently used to denote benzyl moieties in nomenclature and structural depictions of chemical compounds. For example, benzyl alcohol can be represented as BnOH. This abbreviation is not to be confused with "Bz", which is the abbreviation for the benzoyl group C6H5C(O)-.

Accutane has been pulled from the market btw.

oh, lord, more points: Sebum is not oil - oil is a portion of it. You cannot prompt your face to produce more oil by washing or treating.

I sincerely hope you aren't planning as dermatology as a profession, the amount of mistakes and audacity of these unfounded claims is astounding. And I don't even like BP.

I used the regimen for years and it totally ruined my skin. It made it dry and oily. It made my skin so sensitive that now I can't wear makeup that I was able to wear before the regimen.

I read a lot of studies that said bp ages your skin if used over a long time. It doesn't even get rid of the acne forever. Accutane is better.

Apple cider vinegar is actually a lot better.

I read a lot of studies that said bp ages your skin if used over a long time. It doesn't even get rid of the acne forever. Accutane is better.

Can you find citations for the above-mentioned studies claiming that BP ages your skin? I've never actually seen any...

Benzoyl peroxide (BP) generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and BP, are both the result of free radicals (oxidative stress) upon the skin. Repeated sun exposure or BP use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from BP is determined by the concentration of BP, the frequency of application and the duration of its use.

Because BP generates free radicals it interferes with and slows the healing process. The red and brown marks that are a part of the acne healing process may last weeks longer when BP is a regular part of the daily regimen.

BP has been linked to cancer for a number of years and many research journal entries state "benzoyl peroxide is a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent." Performing a word search of the words "benzoyl peroxide cancer" in PubMed in the National Library of Medicine produces 102 articles from medical publications dealing with research aspects of BP and cancer. About two-thirds of the research supports linkage between BP and skin cancer.

"In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) ingredient and stated this action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice..." Additionally, the FDA charged manufacturers with the responsibility of providing this information to consumers so they could make educated decisions. Many manufacturers and product marketers have not provided this information to skin care professionals so that consumers can be advised of the potential dangers. A more complete FDA statement is at the bottom of this page, for your reference.

Use of benzoyl peroxide to control acne may involve side effects and risks that should be considered in making decisions on acne treatment. BiON has given particular attention to providing effective treatment with no side effects and no benzoyl peroxide.

FDA / Benzoyl Peroxide Action: February 17, 1995

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) / Department of Health and Human Services

"Topical Drug Products Containing Benzoyl Peroxide: Required Labeling"

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing additional labeling (warning and directions) for all topically-applied acne treatment drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. The warning advises consumers to avoid unnecessary sun exposure and to use a sunscreen when using a benzoyl peroxide product to treat acne..."

"The agency classified benzoyl peroxide from its previous status Category I to Category III status. This action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice and a study that reported that benzoyl peroxide has tumor initiation potential."

"FDA evaluated these data and information and determined that the studies show that benzoyl peroxide is a skin tumor promoter in more than one strain of mice as well as in hamsters. To date, topical studies (which have shown only tumor promotion) have been of short duration (about 52 weeks). Although animal data and human epidemiology data are available, the agency has determined that further studies are necessary to adequately assess the tumorigenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. These studies are currently being conducted. The agency acknowledges that it may take several years for these studies to be completed and analyzed, and for the final determination to be made on benzoyl peroxide's safety."

Well, I have seen peer -reviewed stuff. I read it. I didn't save it. It was awhile ago. I am looking.

I really shouldn't have to, since I am not even on any BP product. I do want people to be informed before they use it, so, I will look for it.

Are you being this negative because you work for this board site?

You'll notice that those studies say over and over again "a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice". Mice specifically bred to be predisposed to tumors. And, in case you hadn't noticed, humans and mice aren't exactly the same things.

And moderators don't work for this site. We're all volunteers.