Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
murdoch

Years ago I started.

Hello everyone,

I started the whole BP treatment a few years ago when I started University, as Dan's story pretty much sounded like mine. It has worked more or less, with a few zits from time to time but nothing to really complain about compared to other acne sufferers.

A couple weeks ago, I thought I'd phase it out and see if I had grown out of acne (I'm 22 now). At the point where I was no longer using BP, the first week wasn't bad, but here I am between week two and three and I've got quite the breakout now.

My question is: is this breakout because my skin was use to BP, and I'm no longer on it? Or is it because I still need to use BP? I suppose it is a difficult question to answer unless I stay away from BP for a few months and see how it goes. I'm not so sure I want to risk having a few months of acne though!

Anyone been in a similar situation? How long must someone stay free of BP to determine whether or not it is just your skin adjusting to the change, or you simply still have acne?

IMO, it sounds like you haven't outgrown your acne yet. I would get back on the regimen.

i was on DKR 4 months ago for my moderate acne on my cheeks. used DKR for 2.5 months and im 90% clear.

its been 2 months since i stopped spreading BP all over my face and im still clear. using AHA every night though. in the morning i'd apply rosken skin repair with vit E. so far im clear after 2 months off the regimen..

maybe u wanna try aha?

If you're comfortable asking, find out when close relatives outgrew their acne. Parents, older siblings, aunts/uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc. - whether you get acne, how much you get, and when you outgrow it seems to be partially determined by heredity. For example, I don't really expect to outgrow my acne altogether because my 48 year old mom still gets breakouts, though hers are much less frequent or severe than mine were before I started the regimen. This suggests that I will be able to cut down on BP use over time, but I probably won't be able to discontinue all acne medications altogether without breaking out again.

I am in the same exact position as you. I just turned 22 about 2 weeks, and I feel I may finally be out growing my acne. One side of my face has no active acne anymore, just some left over red marks. I stopped applying BP to that side about a week ago. If I do see anything, I will apply BP to just that only. The other side still has a few active small areas, so I just use spot treatment on those, making sure I don't apply BP to areas that haven't seen any acne in quite some time. I've also gone back to using mandelic acid during the night to try and help my red marks fade more quickly (I have about 2 months worth left, if it doesn't work out I will try AHA).

I still apply moisturizer morning and night.

I'm also adopting a much healthier diet. I am hoping this will help my skin recover better after years of suffering from moderate acne on me cheeks.

I am hoping this 8oz bottle of BP I have (probably still 3/4 full) is my last one that I use on a regular basis.

Not to be a huge killjoy, but Dan (who is, I believe, in his 30s), freely admits he has not outgrown his acne.

I am 26 and haven't outgrown mine. There are many people on here who are older and haven't either. Such is life. The regimen is much better than having acne ... or taking pills for it!

It sounds like you haven't outgrown it... but if you're willing to have acne for a few months while you wait and see if it goes away, then go for it!

Thanks for the replies. I reckon as some of you said, that I just haven't outgrown it yet. Back on the regimen I go~

Perhaps I'll try again next year. Or at least when I can guarantee some sort of self imposed exile while I go through BP withdrawal.

Regarding when parents grew out of acne, my mum says she stopped in her early 20s. Looking at pictures of the old man, he didn't have any in his graduation picture from university, so perhaps my time is near. My older sibling by a few years only gets a zit every now and then.

I'm in the same situation as you. I started DK's BP somewhere around 2 years ago, and I still use his products on a regular basis. I find that I can skip every other night and still be clear. However, if I don't use it for a week, those stupid things appear again. I don't necessarily break out dramatically, but I will see a zit (which is 1 too many). Idk when people outgrow acne, but I can give you this info based on my sister/in laws based on their age:

late 30's: no zit at all (pretty obvious)

mid 20's: one here or there, still keeps acne medicine around for spot treatment

early 20's: (she's 23) moderate acne (still depends on acne treatment)

me: (22) still uses BP and barely any acne

brother: late 20's- moderate acne

I have a lot of family members, so I can kind of pretty much see where I'll be in a couple years. I know it may not be the same for you, but I think that gives you a general idea of when people outgrow their acne.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the use of BP and other topicals prevents you from naturally outgrowing acne through all the associated irritation etc.

Edit: Oh heck, its more than a sneaking suspicion. I actually believe it.

I think in the FAQ section of the site, Dan mentioned that even he mentioned he hasn't outgrown his acne yet.

I think I have outgrown mine, because I only tend to breakout during that time of the month whereas before I always had mild but multiple pimples at a time.

I'd rather use BP as part of a regular regimen than spend $15-$20 for a smaller tube of prescription topicals and another $15 or so for prescription pills, not to mention co-pays for a dermatologist visit.

lili: Perhaps I should give every other night a try then and see how that goes, thanks.

Adam: Well that would certainly suck if that were true. I suppose I should look into that. I'm hoping that if dermatologist are recommending this stuff though, they'd have figured out if such a side effect existed.