Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
idahobelle

first post and long vent *tears*

Wow. I am finally letting it out.

I am a 31 year old female who is married with 2 great kids. I have always had acne, but it was the kind you get for a few days, then you would have a nice clear break for awhile. I remember thinking how horrible it was! Now I would give anything for that skin again! I had that skin until a year ago. Right around the time I got a personal trainer and made exercise and diet a big part of my life. Seems I always heard eating healthy and exercise was good for your acne. Nope. Not so much :confused:

I am so sad. Acne has made my life such a chore. Not only am I always covered with it on my face, but my back and shoulders and sometimes chest as well. I am letting my family down in so many ways. They love to camp and swim and all the things that make having acne unbearable. I wish so much I could just camp and not have to wear make up. Hike all day without worrying about my face. I wish I could swim with my family without worrying about my face and back. I just sit at the pool and look at the girls with their backless swimsuits and beautiful skin. I have to keep my hair down so no one will see my back and I can't get my face wet of my make up will come off showing my zits. My girls beg me to go down the slides with them and I lie and say I am too afraid. I am missing out so much! What I would give for beautiful clear skin.

I have tried everything on my skin. Yesterday I decided to try tea tree oil. I put it on my back and face and didn't know it would smell! It smelled like a forest of trees in my house and it made my shirt stink as well. My kids kept asking me what smelled and why I was using it. I am a horrible picker also! :redface: I have GOT to stop picking at my face! I know it makes it so worse.

I train with a trainer in the mornings with a group of girls. We have to be at the gym at 5:45. The other girls get to sleep in, roll out of bed a few minutes before it's time to go and head out. No, not me. I have to set the alarm 45 minutes before so I can PUT MAKE UP ON to go to the gym. Saddest. thing. ever. I wonder what they think of me wearing make up. *sigh*

My husband loves me and has never said one thing about my face. I guess I am lucky that I am past all the dating and drama the younger kids face. I seriously have the perfect life minus the acne. I have a wonderful family, I love my friends. I love to work out and am so proud of my body and what it can do. I love to run and race. I even have great hair! :surprised: I know no one is perfect and I can't have it all. I just wish I could accept myself the way I am. I have no one around me with acne so no one knows how it feels. I feel like going to the derm will just make things worse. I heard they just give you more creams and more crap to put on your face. I won't do accutane because I don't like what it does to the body. I do have a IUD in for birth control and I am thinking about taking it out and getting on a birth control pill to see if it will help my skin. It is worth a shot.

I am so glad I can let this all out. I hope this does not read like a "poor me" post. I know you guys will understand. Thanks for letting me put it all out here. I have been crying a lot today and I feel a little better.

Take care-

Hey, idahobelle!

This is the perfect place for you to let it all out, and also to get help, suggestions, and advice. The people on this sight are helpful and encouraging, and will try to answer any questions you have and support you when you're down.

You're in the right place. Welcome to Acne.org. : )

You should definitely go to a derm and just see what they recommend. The contraceptive pill worked for me, but not permanently. Once I stopped taking it my skin went yuck again. Also, you mentioned that your skin got worse around the time that you started to work out. Do you shower immediately after a work out?

Don't let acne stop you from living your life. Good luck. :)

I'm sorry you have to go through this, I completely understand where you are coming from, sounds exactly like my life...andi it really sucks doesn't it? To truly combat your situation, your probably going to have to take some medication orally. You had said that you didn't want to be on Accutane, but truthfully it does work very well, I was on it.I hope things get better for you!

You don't have to thank anyone. The community is here to listen, and if you have anything else to share, then you're welcome to post as much as you need.

Hi there I read through your post and have some suggestions for you. I am a 26 yr old female and have had mild-moderate and some times severe acne since I was 21. I went on Diane 35 and it literally saved my life. Although when I was thinking about having a baby cause I was engaged and graduated university I went off it. Ended up breaking out again and actually changed my mind about having a baby to get back on Diane! Needless to say it really affected my relationship b/c he really wanted to start trying. I ended leaving him because of it! Although this is not about my personal relationships thought I'd give you a back ground statement. Anyways he was much older than me and I simply was not ready. I didn't entirely leave him b/c of acne lol

Anyway back to you. If you are not interested in having any more kids and you don't smoke I seriously recommend this. About the makeup issue...Pick up Estee Lautier Double Wear foundation and Double wear councilor. I swear by this stuff! I'm currently in the Caribbean and put on this make up everyday. One day I wanted to go swimming (while on a huge breakout) I had only the councilor and it was pretty dead on the beach so I said screw it and dove in face first. Thinking my makeup would come off. But when I went to the bathroom to see the mess that was my face without makeup it was not there! The cover stayed even in salt water!!!!! I had to use Oxy sensitive wipes to fully remove the makeup. Anyways brilliant stuff, expensive but well worth it :)

Good luck with the battle. I'm back on Diane and this is my 3rd month and finally the cysts are gone and now have only lights acne and scars. By month six hopefully it will be gone for good :) take care hun

Hey Idaho, I'm a 33yr old female and I still get spots but mostly only if I aggravate by touching my face and picking! (I'm a big picker but on the wagon! lol) Sometimes I even create them due to squeezing blackheads and making things 100x worse! ( Why do I never learn?)

When my skin was worse with cystic acne I went on antibiotics (tetracycline) and it really worked. It's an option for you anyways. Currently I'm on a herbal supplement called Agnus Castus, this balances hormones and it works brilliantly for me but I combine this with avoiding sugar and refined carbs.

Have you considered that you may have PCOS - Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? I'd really recommend going to your Dr and they could do the necessary checks to rule out this, it's very common. Here in the UK 1 in 4 women have it but the symptoms are many and varied so often they don't seek medical help. But your doc could talk to you bout the antibiotics aswell. This is something that needs treat systemically and from within as topical stuff just won't get to the root cause so they won't get rid of acne permanently.

Please don't let it win, enjoy your family and your life whilst being pro-active against this cruel affliction. You'll get there. Let us know how you get on.............x ;)

Darling definitely go to the derm. They had to study for 11 plus years to get where they are. They definitely know things we don't. And trust me, they have seen a lot worse than whatever you have. Also, go buy thermaclear. It really does stop zits in their tracks.

Working out with makeup on is not a good thing. Sweat and makeup do not help the skin. I used to do the same thing all the time and my skin got worse with every workout. Then i just started to let my skin breathe when i work out and shower right after the workout, and my skin improved so so much.

I hope it gets better for you! How long have you been on the IUD. My mom was on that and it caused her to have breakouts she normally didn't have. Everyones body is different though.

Good luck and don't let acne stop you from enjoying life!

I have to chime in with the other posters...go see a dermatologist. It's the only place to start your battle and you never know what will work - and something WILL eventually work. You might consider seeing your ob/gyn for PCOS like kazza suggested. You are so proactive on your health - go see the professionals for your skin. We are here to listen and provide support - this forum is fabulous for getting ideas and simply letting out your feelings. Maybe you call tell us what products you are using and what has not seemed to work in the past? Hang in there!!!

I advice you to go see a derm aswell. I'll throw it out there that there is a possibility that it is a folliculitis. You could always ask the derm for his oppinion anyway, maybe make him do some tests and say no to whatever acne treatment he may prescribe..

Hello! I'm sorry acne makes you feel so bad, I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to go swimming, camping etc. I recommend that you try Dan's regimen on this site, it has worked wonders for many people here if you are prepared to have dry flaky skin for the first couple of weeks.

I envy you-you have a loving husband, a wonderful family, great friends, children....If only :(

I have no encouraging words to give right now, sorry. :( at times I feel empty inside and this is one of those moments.

We're here to lend a listening ear. No one out there will understand u better than us. For your family and kids, u gotta stay strong.

Idahobelle,

I can fully empathise with you as it is a similar story with me...I am a 30 year old female, have had mild acne for the last 2-3 years but suddenly turned into a walking boil in the last 5 months (since I got pregnant)... right now, I have a fantastic job, the most loving husband and a healthy baby on the way, not to mention friends and family and all the other good things in life but all this is undermined by these horrid things that keep growing on my face...

... i am sat here typing on my computer instead of going to a fun BBQ with my friends as couldnt face the world today...

it all feels unfair and I have done my bit of ranting and raving at fate, luck, doctors, pregnancy and everything else but this is what it is and a couple of things that might help:

Mac makeup is waterproof (100%)... you can go into swimming pools, water slides and all sorts and it stays on ;)

Finally went to see a dermatoliogist and got oral erythromycin and duac topical gel (cant give anything else to pregnant women although he agrees a dose of accutane is much needed if things dont improve by the time i have finished breastfeeding). It has helped control the acne and reduce it by >80%.. please do see a drem if you are feeling down because of it

I also workout and eat well...dont listen to anyone who tells you exercise if bad for acne... it is proven to have no impact ( negative or positive), except it relieves stress so helps a bit and sweat needs washing/wiping off when you are done

Finally, i know its hard but keep your chinup- tis too, as they say, shall pass ! :think:

Life is never perfect I think and given the number of things that could have been wrong with mine, I am almost glad its acne thats the problem and not my baby/husband/job/family... you get the jist

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx