Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey was wondering if anyone could give some advice to me on jumping into attacking my acne with vitamins, supplements, and things of that sort...

Was wondering what stuff people recommend, why they like those, and the dosage of that?

Things I have heard about are B5? Fish Oil? Cod Liver Oil? Acidophilus (sp)? Niacin? I don't know, jut very lost, but would love to include an internal approach to my regimen.

I hope someone responds with some words of advice... thanks!

Blazeski I highly recommend you research Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Zinc.

I suggest you start by purchasing some really good quality Omega 3 Pills (fish oil) and taking them twice daily, depending on what the dosage is.

In addition, you might want to add some zinc to your diet. However, beware of those who tell you 100mg is safe because that is just ridiculous. I take 25mg of Solgar brand Chealated(sp?) Zinc daily.

Cod Liver Oil is a good alternative to Fish Oil but I would only take Cod Liver Oil if you have never been on Accutane or have never used retinol form vitamin A, because Cod Liver oil already contains some. If you have never been in contact with Vitamin A supplements I highly recommend you try taking Cod Liver Oil, twice daily, instead of the fish oil and see if it works for you.

As for B5 and niacin... thats completely a different approach to acne that I do not recommend because personally for me it was not the right path. I will however say that b5 worked wonders while I took it, but the hair loss and mechanism of action (it increased my metabolism) was not the answer I was looking for. If you are going to go the b5 route then I don't recommend more than 2grams per day and I recommend you supply yourself with a powerful b-complex.

I have had the worst acne breakout of my entire life when I started mixing Fish Oil, Vitamin A, and b5..... I highly recommend you choose between:

Zinc and Omega 3's

vs.

B5 and B-complex(includes niacin, I believe its vitamin b6, but i'd have to double check).

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

First off, in case you're considering high dosages of anything, don't - it's dangerous. Carlson's is a good brand for fish oil, and as sowet said, I too caution against cod liver oil, as you can overdose on vitamin A from it. Better to get vitamin a in the safe form of beta carotene from the foods you eat (green smoothies are great for this). Vitamin D is another good vitamin to take that can help with acne, and I'd recommend an acidophilus and multivitamin as well. Also, start including more cruciferous veggies in your diet. My signature has more information on all of this. Good luck! :)

Thanks so much guys...

Some follow up...

I am definately going to do Fish Oil, Zinc, Acidophilus, Vitamin D, and a Mutlivitamin.

I was thinking 4000mg of Fish Oil

25mg of Zinc

and was pretty lost with dosage of the other stuff? Any info? Also any recommended Multivitamin?

Also I had no idea B5 had such serious side affects... im still sort of interested in it though, idk, not sure...

Again thanks sooooo much

* Fish oil - 175 Mg of DHA a day, which is probably about 1 teaspoon of fish oil a day for you.

* Vitamin D3 - 900 -1200 iu per day

* Acidophilus - one to two servings a day, on an empty stomach.

* Multi - look at bottle for recommended dosage. I recommend Dr. Joel Fuhrman's, as I believe it to be the best formulated one around. www.drfuhrman.com

About B5 - I've heard some bad stories. It's not worth the risk of long-term damage to your body! How about just starting with doing the supplements you mentioned along with a green smoothie everyday? Just doing that alone will be a big, positive step for you. You might also consider cutting back on sugar and dairy products as well (both of which contribute to acne).

up to 50 mgs of Zinc,

Fish oil - Depends on how much fish, how much omega 6 you consume,

D -4,000 iu if you don't get it from sun

B-complex

Probiotics whether in supplement, yogurt, kefir, etc.

up to 50 mgs of Zinc,

B-complex

I just recently read of people doing 4000 iu for up to a year to up their vitamin D levels when they were previously deficient, and they had great results. Being that 4,000 is above the recommended daily allowance, would you recommend 4,000 iu just until his skin improves - or maybe just a few months? Should he have a blood test while doing this to avoid a possible vitamin D toxic overload?

EDIT: Just answered my own question. Dr. Joel Fuhrman says the Vitamin D council recommends 5,000 iu a day but that there haven't been enough studies done to guarantee that this dosage would be safe. He believes it's possible that their information is somewhat biased. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine recommends no more than 2000 iu a day. Dr. Fuhrman's advice is 1000-2000 iu a day, and that additional iu should only be taken with blood test monitoring, so as to not go overboard with vitamin D.

wow you guys have been awesome. thanks so much. but once again still more questions! haha thanks...

you said: " Fish oil - 175 Mg of DHA a day, which is probably about 1 teaspoon of fish oil a day for you."

little confused by that as I take and thought fish oil in pill form? DHA is what exactly? just a little lost.

Plan on Doing:

50mg Zinc

2 pills of 13.3mg Acidophilus

a Multivitamin

2000 iu (whatever that is exactly) of Vitamin D3

??? Fish Oil

again you guys rock

up to 50 mgs of Zinc,

B-complex

I just recently read of people doing 4000 iu for up to a year to up their vitamin D levels when they were previously deficient, and they had great results. Being that 4,000 is above the recommended daily allowance, would you recommend 4,000 iu just until his skin improves - or maybe just a few months? Should he have a blood test while doing this to avoid a possible vitamin D toxic overload?

Considering how much your body can make with sun exposure, I doubt that's an issue. My multi contains 2,000 iu, plus I eat quite a bit a fish and was making an effort to get some regular sun exposure, but when I had a test last fall, my levels weren't low as far as my doctor was concerned but low according to the vitamin D council and what their studies show is the point at which our bodies begins to store D.