Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RoadRash

Tell me about your post-Accutane experiences

Great questions I would like to know the answers as well...it is my third course but I do not remember how long it took for my lips to be normal and ditch the chapstick.

My first two courses... I was clear for about 4 months after my first and 6 months after my second

However my acne was less severe after each course so I am hoping this third one is a charm...

It took a couple of weeks for my lips to get better. The redness lasted about a month. My derm kept me on retin-a micro every day and I also use Dan's aha+ a couple of times a week. It has been almost a year post and my skin is still great.

So, I'm getting off Accutane .. in a couple of days.

• My skin is 100% amazingly clear. How can I help it stay that way?
  • How long until the redness starts to fade?
  • How long until your lips aren't so damn dry? At what point did you ditch the chapstick?
All in all - just tell me about your post-Accutane experience, please!

i've been off accutane for a couple months now after an 8 month course.

-i haven't really done anything to help my skin stay clear. i exfoliate a couple times a week and mouisterize as needed. oh i also bought dan's AHA online..not because of breakouts, but because since i've been off accutane, my skin looks somewhat dull and uneven, and i've read AHA can help with exfoliation and make your skin look a little more radient. so far i like it.

-i did get a lot of redness & flushing throughout my course, as well as chapped lips. the last 2 months of my course i was on a low dose of 40 mg every other day, so the redness and chapped lips were barely an issue towards the end of my course, and when i stopped taking accutane both side effects seemed to disappear all together within days.

Dryness should go away relatively quickly. If something bad happens to your skin right afterwards (i.e. sunburn) the dryness can come back for a bit, since the skin is sensitive. But all in all dryness of lips and face should leave.

The redness really depends. I've heard several people say that it went away in a month. I'm five and a half months post tane and I'm still VERY red in the face. Once you reach the six month post point, though, you can get laser surgeries amongst other things that might help to reduce these things.

In a few weeks it'll be a year since finishing my 7 month accutane course. I still have facial redness and dryness, my lips are still chapped, but compared to using a stick a week Ive been using the same one for about a month now. Basically I still have all the effects just diminishing over time. Hopefully they'll be gone for good in a year or so judging by my progress so far.

Do not really have answers for you from personal experience.. but I have wedding coming up that I am in right at the time I would end.. my derm said within a week or so of stopping lips and stuff should be fine.

How long was your course, and when did u stop breaking out if u dont mind me asking?

So, I'm getting off Accutane .. in a couple of days.

• My skin is 100% amazingly clear. How can I help it stay that way?
  • How long until the redness starts to fade?
  • How long until your lips aren't so damn dry? At what point did you ditch the chapstick?
All in all - just tell me about your post-Accutane experience, please!

Hey RoadRash,

1) First off, congrats! Glad to hear that your course did your skin good!

- Okay well I think that best way to maintain your new, clear skin is to just be good to your body from now on..

+ Eat healthier! More fruits, more veggies, less wheat, less gluten, less JUNK! Or even better, no JUNK! :) You have no idea how badly that could affect your new skin! (After Accutane, I stopped eating at fast food places and eating out less and eating less Junk in general i.e. cookies, cake, chips, ice cream)

+ Drink more water! (After Accutane I drank much more water, and substituted ALL of the bad drinks I used to drink i.e. soda, coffee, teas.. with water! It's such a healthier choice! I haven't had a soda in almost a year!) this really helps your skin stay clearer.

2) Okay well for me, redness was already pretty much gone by the time I ended the course, I healed fast I suppose. But I would assume that most people's redness might be mostly, if not completely gone about a month after Accutane.

3) Well I never ditched the chapstick.. I still use it just as often now as I did when I was on Accutane.. I don't know why, but I never had dry lips/dry skin while being on Accutane.. I guess that's because normally I have oily skin.. So it was drying my skin out, but in a helpful way, not to the point where I was peeling ever. But the oiliness started creeping back at around 6 months after Accutane..

If you're interested in reading more about my experience with Accutane.. You might want to read this:

My Soon to be Accutane Log

P.S. going back on tane again hopefully

It has been a lonnnng time since I've checked in here.. figured I would update this in case anybody else is in the same situation I was.

At this point in time I'm still 100% acne free! Woohoo! My skin looks great apart from some redness (put once I get a tan that won't be a problem).

The dryness very, very, very gradually went away and I'm now no longer a slave to chapstick.

Such great news!!! Enjoy you clear skin!

* My skin is 100% amazingly clear. How can I help it stay that way?

Still treat your skin as if it's "acne prone". Use as little face products as possible.

* How long until the redness starts to fade?

For me it took about a week.

* How long until your lips aren't so damn dry? At what point did you ditch the chapstick?

Again about a week.