Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok well i was on accutane about a year and a half ago and after i was off my skin was clear for a while but now my acne is back. not nearly as bad as before (i dont have any cysts or anything) but its still really hard to deal with and i DONT want to go back on accutane. so my mom who goes to this local skin and hair removal person said i should do glycolic acid peels... so for 5 minutes she puts glycolic acid on my face once every month... i've been doing this for 3 months and it has helped a tiny bit with the acne and with the scarring and stuff but its not exactly an acne treatment. so i was wondering if anybody has any information on it.

also i would love some recommendations if anybody has them on how to wash my face after work. i work at a coffee shop and the grinder puts coffee oils in the air and i'm positive it makes my skin worse. if there are any tips for this as well i would greatly appreciate it. i'm really glad i found this place and i hope i can get the help i need from this community. thanks!

Guest missyjean130
ok well i was on accutane about a year and a half ago and after i was off my skin was clear for a while but now my acne is back. not nearly as bad as before (i dont have any cysts or anything) but its still really hard to deal with and i DONT want to go back on accutane. so my mom who goes to this local skin and hair removal person said i should do glycolic acid peels... so for 5 minutes she puts glycolic acid on my face once every month... i've been doing this for 3 months and it has helped a tiny bit with the acne and with the scarring and stuff but its not exactly an acne treatment. so i was wondering if anybody has any information on it.

also i would love some recommendations if anybody has them on how to wash my face after work. i work at a coffee shop and the grinder puts coffee oils in the air and i'm positive it makes my skin worse. if there are any tips for this as well i would greatly appreciate it. i'm really glad i found this place and i hope i can get the help i need from this community. thanks!

I would also like clarification of how working with oils can affect acne. I work at a theater and their butter is made mostly of coconut oil,which is supposedly high pore clogging. While my skin doesn't get direct contact with the stuff and I wash it off my hands frequently,I am wondering if it can indirectly have adverse effects on my skin.

About the glycolic acid,I wouldn't do it if you have a good amount of acne still on your face...burning off zits isn't good lol. What you CAN do that's a lot cheaper is head on over to amazon.com and buy peeling solutions. Like,real chemical peels that your derm uses. They have 35% glyclolic acid,70% lactic acid(strong!),and more. Just be sure to use less concentrations first,and do just as the directions tell you. My next paycheck I'm actually going to buy the 35% glycolic peel and work my up to 70% lactic acid.

Maybe the doing your peel is careful and gentle though,I wouldn't know. I don't like going to those kinds of places because I have had the girls put the acid on top of healing acne lesions before =(

Also if you want to keep doing monthly peels but want a good gentle acid exfoliator to use in between I am really fond of diluted apple cider vinegar and aqua glycolic makes some decent products.

I would also like clarification of how working with oils can affect acne. I work at a theater and their butter is made mostly of coconut oil,which is supposedly high pore clogging. While my skin doesn't get direct contact with the stuff and I wash it off my hands frequently,I am wondering if it can indirectly have adverse effects on my skin.

About the glycolic acid,I wouldn't do it if you have a good amount of acne still on your face...burning off zits isn't good lol. What you CAN do that's a lot cheaper is head on over to amazon.com and buy peeling solutions. Like,real chemical peels that your derm uses. They have 35% glyclolic acid,70% lactic acid(strong!),and more. Just be sure to use less concentrations first,and do just as the directions tell you. My next paycheck I'm actually going to buy the 35% glycolic peel and work my up to 70% lactic acid.

Maybe the doing your peel is careful and gentle though,I wouldn't know. I don't like going to those kinds of places because I have had the girls put the acid on top of healing acne lesions before =(

Also if you want to keep doing monthly peels but want a good gentle acid exfoliator to use in between I am really fond of diluted apple cider vinegar and aqua glycolic makes some decent products.

thanks a bunch dude. and yeah my work is a tiny little room with the coffee grinder in it and most of the time the windows are closed so the coffee is just floating around in the air. when i get home from work i'll have a nice shine to my face from it haha.

and i dont know i think i'll give it one more month. i also have a TERRIBLE picking problem which is probably 80% of the problem. if i'm not touching my face i'm chewing my fingernails. i'm really trying to curb this habit though and i think after i stop picking at the scabs and making the zits worse my face should begin to get better. do you have any suggestions for an organic moisturizer? thanks again!

Guest missyjean130

The avalon organics serum in my signature.

It's 20-30 bucks for this tiny bottle but it lasts forever! All you need is a super thin layer,epecially if you have oily skin. It helps heal your skin,and I'm sure in conjuction with my acv it's helped with red marks quite a bit.

I can sure understand the skin picking thing. It's something similar to me,I have trichotillomania. Basically,it means I like to pull out my own hair (eyebrows and lashes). I quit 3-4 years of smoking easier than dealing with my trich.

It's 20-30 bucks for this tiny bottle but it lasts forever! All you need is a super thin layer,epecially if you have oily skin. It helps heal your skin,and I'm sure in conjuction with my acv it's helped with red marks quite a bit.

I can sure understand the skin picking thing. It's something similar to me,I have trichotillomania. Basically,it means I like to pull out my own hair (eyebrows and lashes). I quit 3-4 years of smoking easier than dealing with my trich.

oh i didnt even look in your sig haha sorry. sounds good i'll look into it. and man that sounds like it sucks. and i've never been diagnosed with anything but i think there some sort of medical term for what i have. i mean i dont just bite my nails i'll like grind them til they bleed and stuff. part of its nervousness but its mostly a habit. thanks for the recommendation though

Guest missyjean130

oh i didnt even look in your sig haha sorry. sounds good i'll look into it. and man that sounds like it sucks. and i've never been diagnosed with anything but i think there some sort of medical term for what i have. i mean i dont just bite my nails i'll like grind them til they bleed and stuff. part of its nervousness but its mostly a habit. thanks for the recommendation though

Yeah,it's all under the same family of impulse control disorders