Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James1974

Any opinions on BP and Skin damage/aging etc?

Hi Everyone,

I have really really oily skin and very large pores. have had mild to moderate acne most of my life. I am in my 30's now ;(. I started using the regimen last year and it worked really well in preventing the pimples from arising. It generally made my skin a little reddish, but having no pimples for the first time in my life was a godsend. However after being on the regimen for 9 months I started to notice that I was starting to look really old. I first noticed this under my eyes and lines on my forehead and mouth creases developing. It seemed to me that it made my pores look even larger. Perhaps it was the moisturiser...not sure. One thing I noticed is that my skin was still pretty oily and never really dried out so perhaps that is the reason why my pores looked larger. Whenever my skin goes through a dry spell (hardly ever), my pores seem to be much smaller and tighter.

Anyway I stopped using the regimen about 6 months ago and decided to visit a dermo. He put me an a retin-a product (Stieva-A) for the night time and finacea during the day. For the last six months my pimples have returned, BUT my skin does not seem to look as tired, damaged wrinkled or aged. I seem to look younger but the pimples are back....catch 22!!!. I have read many many articles on whether using BP is safe and does not damage the skin. From what I can gather the general consensus is that it does create free radicals which damages the skin, much like the sun does. However I have heard that having active acne and pimples is just as damaging to the skin in terms of aging etc. My skin is really bad at the moment and am considering going back on the regimen, but am a little afraid that I will do bad damage to my skin. I would be really interested to see if anyone else has had similar experiences and whether they can offer any advise as to what I should do. I know that Dan has stated in the FAQ that it does not cause premature aging, but I am still a little worried based on what I saw in the last year or so.

My regimen (morning and night)

Using Neutrogena Extra gentle cleanser, followed by a generous amount of OTC BP, then Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturiser for Sensitive Skin.

Many thanks in advance

I was using Proactiv for two years when I started noticing I had a lot more wrinkles than I had a few years before. So I searched this as well and found all the same answers. I got off Proactiv and just started washing and moisturizing, but then I had a terrible breakout which I can't seem to get rid of. So I'm on the regimen now and using Dan's BP. I haven't noticed any new wrinkles, and I feel like my skin is looking livelier than it was when I was on ProActiv. That could be thanks to the AHA+ I'm using as well. Where you using AHA+?

I know that everyone's different, but just check Dan out. He's been using BP for 20 yrs and still looks young. I hope I'm the same way. :pray: