Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jzeff

Should I stop the Regimen?

Greetings all

I have been on Dan's regimen for 3 weeks now. I haven't completely cleared up but there's definitely significant improvement after the initial breakout or purging as they call it.

However, these few days, I'm seeing my skin on my cheeks flaking/peeling bigtime. I understand that the general solution to this is to use a lot of moisturiser. However, it did not really work for me and I'm using one of the recommended regimen products, Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture. Nonetheless, I understand too that this particular product doesn't work as well as the others and I have read multiple negative reviews about it as a regimen product.

Anyway, after seeing my skin flake/peel this horribly - the most horribly i have seen, I was pouring through the forums and read some posts about the backlashes of the regimen. And I was thinking if putting so much bp on my skin, purportedly for the rest of my life, is really healthy?

I read posts about the water-only regimen... cavemen regimen... taking the natural approach... taking care of your diet... though I must admit I'm not certain if I would change my diet to clear up (seeing that I'm such a glutton), it sounds like a healthier approach?

Thus far, I have dutifully done the regimen twice a day. Should I simply reduce the frequency to once a day or should i halt the regimen completely? I'm currently thinking of following the advice of stopping all products and letting the skin "do its job"... but honestly, I don't think i can withstand not washing my face with water for extended periods of time...

Sorry it's such a long post but argh, what should i do.....

Hey,

I have the exact same problem that seems to be abnormal to me. I don't know what else to do as well. I hope there is something we can do!!! Bump for more help.

jzeff,

If you are completely clear, as you say you are, then you can decrease the amount of BP you're using. But I wouldn't suggest stopping doing it twice a day. You are still very early into the Regimen and you may have a breakout within a couple of weeks. Really, I don't think you should change anything except your moisturizer. Dan even says himself that the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture is at its best just for starters. You need something stronger, in my opinion. Try some Cetaphil or get Dan's. Plus, jojoba oil is excellent for the flaking.

Haha thanks for the replies ppl

@KenPhan Haha good to know someone out there shares my prob :) now i know i'm not the only one haha

@privilege thx for the suggestion but i dunno if i'll grow out of acne? lol

@Dacha Haha u read wrongly. I ain't completely clear; there's just significant improvement.

Okay i'll try continuing the regimen for a while more but like I said, do you think it's healthy to put so much bp on ur face? It's a strong chemical after all?

And I'm not sure if I'll grow out of acne? I'm 18 and all my peers dun really have acne? Shouldn't I have grown out of acne already?

So many questions, so little answers... mann i hate acne

As for you feeling like you should have grown out of acne at the age of eighteen, this is from the FAQs:

Q: Hey Dan, you're 34 years old. Haven't you grown out of acne by now, Regimen or no Regimen?

A: Unfortunately, no. I started the Regimen at the age of about 24. Every year or so I stop the Regimen to see what will happen. The result? Breakouts, and within days. My family genetics see breakouts occurring into the 40s and 50s. The issue of when a person develops acne or grows out of acne is highly personalized, and one that science still does not understand. Babies and even senior citizens must sometimes cope with acne.

i agree with c'est. Some people i know grow out of it when they are in their late 20's to early 30's. Some even later than that. You are only 18. When I was 18 not too long ago my face cleared up and i thought i grew out of it but now I'm 20 and my face is the worse its ever been.

Anyway, i recently started the regimen for almost a week now and i am experiencing mild dryness and manageable flakes. Did you experience dryness within the first week or did it get worse as you up the BP within week 2 and 3?

Thanks for the prompt replies!

tombo, u said u cleared up when u were 18. How did u clear up? Was it Dan's regimen?

I didn't really have any flakes for the past weeks. I only started experiencing a lot of flaking these few days. My cheeks are not a pretty sight, at all... argh

jzeff,

My bad man, I did read wrong. In that case, I really don't think you should decrease anything. I'd just try a stronger moisturizer. Also, what cleanser are you using? That could be a big factor as well. Oh, about outgrowing acne...I'm 20 and it's as persistent as ever with me. :evil:

Thanks for the prompt replies!

tombo, u said u cleared up when u were 18. How did u clear up? Was it Dan's regimen?

I didn't really have any flakes for the past weeks. I only started experiencing a lot of flaking these few days. My cheeks are not a pretty sight, at all... argh

No, i wasn't on the regimen at 18. i had been using Proactiv when i was 16 and it helped in the beginning to manage the acne but it was still there nonetheless. Then when i was out of hs my face just cleared up by itself after quitting proactiv and it remained that way for a year. Now it came back full force and i had to go back to proactiv for awhile... but now i've decided to start the regimen to see how it works and i'm crossing my fingers that it will.

Oh, and it's only still week one for me and i'm flaking already. But my face doesn't feel dry to the touch since my skin is naturally oily, it is just really tight. Does yours feel this way too?

Yoz~

@Dacha I'm using Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, should be okay ya?

@tombo My face is kinda dry but it's still manageable. Regarding tightness, I experience it sometimes too but it doesnt bother me much... i just wan my acne to go away!~~

Yay, flaking kinda subsided after i decrease the dosage for my nighttime regimen couple days back. After that one regimen, I went back to the usual dosage and now, my cheeks ain't flaking that badly anymore.

Argh, so many little pustules here and there... and my face's very white (or pale? haha) so those red spots really show up really badly ): mann needa pretend they r not there and lead life as usual yep. note to self: pretend they r not there and lead life as usual

rants zzz

the battle goes on

oh well...

fight hard everyone!

cheerios