Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ALLC

Please help acne and sensitive skin

I've been seeing a derm for my acne. I have dry, sensitive skin. He put me on Doryx and Finacea. He told me that it was OK for me to use oil based moisturizers and foundations b/c that wouldn't affect the type of acne I have. He also said NOT to use Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide or Sulfur products b/c my skin is too sensitive for that.

The Doryx has been working but I had to stop taking it b/c we are trying to have a baby. The Finacea on it's own it's working. My face is broken out and I tried using some Salicylic Acid and I'm so flaky now that my makeup looks horrid.

What else can I try? Any advice for me at all?

I, too, have horriblly sensitive skin which makes me skeptical of ALL skin treatments. Everything the Derm ever put me on caused awful redness and pain - and usually made my acne worse. OTC stuff was just as bad. I did Accutane, which fixed the enormous cysts and pimples, but still had break-outs.

Then, a couple of years ago I quit using anything - literally - to cleanse the skin or treat the zits. I took a few weeks off from makeup as well and only washed with warm water and gentle friction with my fingers about 3 times a day. I used only Cetaphil for a moisturizer (don't know what's best for you, since I have oily skin). I try to keep my shampoo/conditioner/bodywash away from my face as well. Even after switching back to makeup, I don't wear foundation ever ever ever, and only mineral-wear type powder. Basically, I tried to eliminate the variuos irritants I applied to my face every day. Now I will occasionally use the most mild of cleansers occasionally to remove makeup.

While this didn't clear my acne 100% it really helped with the overall redness and size/number of pimples. I think much of it is stress/picking related.

I, too, have horriblly sensitive skin which makes me skeptical of ALL skin treatments. Everything the Derm ever put me on caused awful redness and pain - and usually made my acne worse. OTC stuff was just as bad. I did Accutane, which fixed the enormous cysts and pimples, but still had break-outs.

Then, a couple of years ago I quit using anything - literally - to cleanse the skin or treat the zits. I took a few weeks off from makeup as well and only washed with warm water and gentle friction with my fingers about 3 times a day. I used only Cetaphil for a moisturizer (don't know what's best for you, since I have oily skin). I try to keep my shampoo/conditioner/bodywash away from my face as well. Even after switching back to makeup, I don't wear foundation ever ever ever, and only mineral-wear type powder. Basically, I tried to eliminate the irritants I applied to my face every day. Now I will occasionally use the most mild of cleansers occasionally to remove makeup.

While this didn't clear my acne 100% it really helped with the overall redness and size/number of pimples. I think much of it is stress/picking related.