Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brown_beauty22

Never had acne problems until after pregnancy. Very Frustrated!!!

Hi all. I'm new to this site but i'm glad I found it. Maybe I can get some insight about Cystic Acne as my dermatologist diagnosed it. I say it's a curse and disgusting and embarrassing. I am 22 years old and all throughout my teens and even up until last year I had never had trouble with my skin. The past 5 months I have had several breakouts, mostly on the cheek and chin area. I noticed that pimples were under the surface and hurt badly. And when the pimple finally decided to go away it left a ugly spot or scar on my face. I am african american and the spots look like I took a black eyliner pencil and drew dots on my face. It makes me sad because I always used to get commented on how flawless and pretty my skin was just a year ago and when I was younger.

So my question to anyone in my same predicament is what works? I've tried Proactiv, Murad, Clean and Clear, Nuetrogena...Expensive meds from the doctor that I can't even pronounce at times. Please help any suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Does "The Regimen" really work? If so I think that will be my next course of action.

Sounds like its a hormonal kinda thingy. Not sure if ur still pregnant or not. But if ur not, spironolactone and doxycycline might helps. Im currently taking those 2 for my cystic acne. I always break out around the jaw line. Its very frustrating. Dun pick on those acne. It will leave terrible scar. The more u pick on it, the bigger it will get. If ur still pregnant, maybe once u given birth it will go away. Good luck.

Hi. I have a similar issue and I will tell u what worked for me..I had cysts before I got pregnant usually in my chin area, along the jawline and sometimes on my forehead. When I got pregnant I still had them but towards the middle/end they went away. I assume this is because my hormones leveled out. After I had my son I got the Mirena inserted at my post partum visit. I never had a cyst after that..until 2 years later...

I started having reactions to the Mirena(dont worry I know so many people with it and they love it) and immediately when I took it it, my face flared in huge painful cyst. It has been 5 months since then and I have been on Yaz for 4. My face is BETTER but not like it was when I had the Mirena. I am convinced tha the hormones in the Mirena balanced out whatever hormonal issue I was having, and Yaz, which is a different type of hormone--it doesnt carry progesterone--does not seem to have any effect on these cyst.

If you are willing, I would try getting the Mirena. If i knew i would have had all these cyst return, i never would of taken it out..who cares if I was dizzy everyday!!

Maybe that will help.

Beth

Hi all. I'm new to this site but i'm glad I found it. Maybe I can get some insight about Cystic Acne as my dermatologist diagnosed it. I say it's a curse and disgusting and embarrassing. I am 22 years old and all throughout my teens and even up until last year I had never had trouble with my skin. The past 5 months I have had several breakouts, mostly on the cheek and chin area. I noticed that pimples were under the surface and hurt badly. And when the pimple finally decided to go away it left a ugly spot or scar on my face. I am african american and the spots look like I took a black eyliner pencil and drew dots on my face. It makes me sad because I always used to get commented on how flawless and pretty my skin was just a year ago and when I was younger.

So my question to anyone in my same predicament is what works? I've tried Proactiv, Murad, Clean and Clear, Nuetrogena...Expensive meds from the doctor that I can't even pronounce at times. Please help any suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Does "The Regimen" really work? If so I think that will be my next course of action.

I have had the same problem as you, so I relate. I had absolutely perfect skin all the way up until I got married and had kids (I had my first nearly seven years ago) When I had kids, I also had a husband who was very definately a meat eater, and fruits and vegetables were all but cut out of my diet. When I divorced him, and was living on my own, I was eating far more fresh fruits and veggies, and next to no meat, I almost completely cleared up, with a breakout only every now and then.

Have your eating habits changed with your children? Has your stress level sky rocketed? Have you lost the knack of your skincare routine? I have found that these are my main three problems, and that when I adress these my skin clears up...but then I fall of the wagon and get tired of fixing myself a seperate meal from the rest of the family, and start eating junk again, and I flare up.

Good luck with your skin! I hope we all get it under control quite soon!