Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
k-dog

Should I be Scared?

I just got by blood test results back today and they cleared me to start accutane. I have read probably hundreds of reviews on it but the bad ones with the bad side-affects that never go away are sticking in my head. I am kinda scared to start it? should i try other stuff? this was my first time to the dermo. and he just prescribed me to this and it seems like accutane should be the LAST RESORT drug. I dont think i have bad acne, i think i have mild acne compared to everone else i have seen on here. Should i just say no I do not want to take it and ask for something else?

If you're worried about side effects, just try to get on a low dose like 10-30mg a day. You might have to take it a few months longer but I've never heard of anyone getting any long term side effects on a low dosage. Accutane is generally considered a last resort but I think you'll be glad you took it when you're done.

I just got by blood test results back today and they cleared me to start accutane. I have read probably hundreds of reviews on it but the bad ones with the bad side-affects that never go away are sticking in my head. I am kinda scared to start it? should i try other stuff? this was my first time to the dermo. and he just prescribed me to this and it seems like accutane should be the LAST RESORT drug. I dont think i have bad acne, i think i have mild acne compared to everone else i have seen on here. Should i just say no I do not want to take it and ask for something else?

Honestly if you really don't think its that bad don't use something so strong. I could see if you wanted to use it even it but if you yourself even admit its not that bad I suggest you seek a second opinion. Some doctors like to push medications when they deal with the drug reps for various reasons and its not so much just for your health. *I used to work in a Dr. office*

You should probably try out some other products for sensitive skin *i avoid stuff that says for acne prone skin because they are always hella harsh and stuff for sensitive skin seems IMO to help my acne prone skin*

Honestly, that is the choice you are going to have to make for yourself. Personally, I did years of unsuccessful rounds of antibiotics/cremes before trying accutane, and it is a huge regret of mine in retrospect.

That said, it doesn't mean that my experience applies to your situation. I'd look at it like this: If you have cysts/acne on areas other than your face (i.e. shoulders/back), are over 18, and are really bothered by your skin, then I would go with accutane. If none of those criterion apply, then perhaps you should reconsider the antibiotic option.

Best of luck either way!