Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t100019

Is My Almay Makeup Creating Breakouts?

I'm a guy and I have no shame in saying that I use makeup to cover myself up during the day. I use Almay which is supposed to not clog pores, but I'm starting to think that it's making me breakout when I have it applied during the day. Am I better off using a tinted benzoyl peroxide cream for during the day, even if the only tinted cream they sell is 10% strength? I'm on Dan's Regime and I really don't want to use 10% BP, the 2.5% strength is working well for me. I know I should not use makeup at all since it is probably the reason I'm breaking out, but having it on makes me feel so much more confident in myself, especially since I work in an office full of people. Please help!

I've used a tinted benzoyl peroxide cream that was 10% strength and it was horrible! Dried out my skin and the coverage was horrible. I'm also on Dan's regimen and 2.5% BP is perfect. Anything more will definitely be drying.

I think you should stop using the makeup for a while and see if your face clears up. If it does, then it was the makeup, and if it doesn't clear up, then maybe it's something else. Like maybe diet? Or stress? If you were already clear to begin with and started breaking out when starting to use the makeup, then it is definitely the makeup that's causing the breakouts. You are just going to have to test it out and see...

Makeup can make somone breakout, but usually there are other factors. Makeup doesn't make me breakout, it's usually diet :(

Do you apply the makeup with a brush? If so, make sure your brushes are clean!! I like to clean my brushes everyday. They say to clean it at least once a week.

Also make sure you wash your face before going to bed. Wash your face well and gently, and even use a toner afterwards to get off the makeup your cleanser missed.

I know some of this stuff is common sense, I'm sorry. I just want to make sure I covered everything I could think of. Let me know what you plan to do! Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot for getting back to me! I hardly ever get a person to respond to my posts haha! I decided to wear the 10% tinted BP today and no new white heads are sprouting, as was the case when I put make up on. I made sure to moisturize with Dan's moisturizer plus jojoba oil before applying the 10% tinted BP, that way I wasn't applying the strong BP directly to my face. You're right in saying that the tinted stuff doesn't provide very good coverage, but it's not breaking me out which is a good thing! The thing is, I am not fully clear yet and I still suffer from random breakouts and that's why I want some coverage (I've only be on Dan's regime for a month now). I had terrible acne before I started the Dan's regime and it has been working very well for me so far. But my skin is all discolored from where acne used to be and its very unattractive, yet another reason why I want coverage. I honestly think the makeup has been holding me back and I probably would be a lot clearer if I didn't put it on. I eat very healthy and I exercise often, so I know its not my diet. I often times wish Dan would invent a really good 2.5% strength tinted BP that provided great coverage like makeup can, but that's probably impossible. Anyway, I am going to stick with the tinted stuff during the day and do Dan's regime at night for awhile until I am comfortable enough to stop using the tinted BP. I will be sure to let you know how that works out for me in the future!

I've used a tinted benzoyl peroxide cream that was 10% strength and it was horrible! Dried out my skin and the coverage was horrible. I'm also on Dan's regimen and 2.5% BP is perfect. Anything more will definitely be drying.

I think you should stop using the makeup for a while and see if your face clears up. If it does, then it was the makeup, and if it doesn't clear up, then maybe it's something else. Like maybe diet? Or stress? If you were already clear to begin with and started breaking out when starting to use the makeup, then it is definitely the makeup that's causing the breakouts. You are just going to have to test it out and see...

Makeup can make somone breakout, but usually there are other factors. Makeup doesn't make me breakout, it's usually diet :(

Do you apply the makeup with a brush? If so, make sure your brushes are clean!! I like to clean my brushes everyday. They say to clean it at least once a week.

Also make sure you wash your face before going to bed. Wash your face well and gently, and even use a toner afterwards to get off the makeup your cleanser missed.

I know some of this stuff is common sense, I'm sorry. I just want to make sure I covered everything I could think of. Let me know what you plan to do! Good luck!!!

almay gets rave reviews from a lot of acne sufferes but, like everything else, i'm sure there are ingredients in it that some people may still break out from. take a break from the makeup for a while and if it turns out it was the almay then look into everyday minerals.

Yeah, even if makeup says it's oil-free and non-acnegenic, it can still cause someone to breakout. I'm also on Dan's regimen (been on it for over a year) and my face is 100% clear! So whatever you do, keep using the products that work for you. As far as makeup goes, stop using it for a while and see how your face reacts. Just think - do you want all of that extra crap on your skin? LOL. I think you are making a good decision with using the 10% BP tinted cream for now. Just make sure you moisturize often because 10% BP is pretty intense! Let us know how it goes!!