Notifications
Clear all

Can probiotics make acne worse?

MemberMember
(@q_p)

Posted : 06/24/2009 9:43 pm

Is it possible that probiotics can make acne worse?

I'd like to try taking a good probiotic, as I took an antibiotic for 1 year as a child, another antibiotic for a week three months ago and a stronger one for another week recently, and I've always had a slew of minor but annoying digestive issues that might be contributing to my skin problems. However, last time I took acidophillus supplements for a week, I got really itchy and super-inflamed acne in one spot on my face and felt really sick for a while, and when I tried eating a bit of yogurt recently the same thing happened to my face. Both times, the rash could have been due to the tea tree oil I was using, but I'm not sure.

Also, once you've taken a probiotic for a bit, do the good bacteria stick around so you can stop taking the supplements?

MemberMember
(@mike_wf)

Posted : 06/27/2009 1:12 am

Do you remember what the ingredients in your probiotic were?

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 06/27/2009 8:17 pm

I'd like to try taking a good probiotic, as I took an antibiotic for 1 year as a child, another antibiotic for a week three months ago and a stronger one for another week recently, and I've always had a slew of minor but annoying digestive issues that might be contributing to my skin problems. However, last time I took acidophillus supplements for a week, I got really itchy and super-inflamed acne in one spot on my face and felt really sick for a while, and when I tried eating a bit of yogurt recently the same thing happened to my face. Both times, the rash could have been due to the tea tree oil I was using, but I'm not sure.

Also, once you've taken a probiotic for a bit, do the good bacteria stick around so you can stop taking the supplements?

Absolutely they can make your acne worse. Personally, any product with bifidum strains gives me problems. I'd go for a pure Lactobacillus Acidophilus product and see how that works for you (it's the most well-researched strain of probiotic with IMO the greatest health benefits).

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 06/27/2009 8:42 pm

if you took it, and it made it worse then yes it can.

100 trillion bacteria down there, its unknown territory so anything is game

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 06/28/2009 7:09 pm

Personally, any product with bifidum strains gives me problems.

Same here. Also, FOS (a common ingredient in probiotics) gives me acne.

MemberMember
(@mike_wf)

Posted : 06/28/2009 8:06 pm

I've had the best experience with probiotics that have a combination of strains. A person may be deficient in more than just acidophilus. Its seems counterintuitive to supplement with just one single strain.

By the way, there are other strains that are clinically proven to help digestion. B. Infantis for example.

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 06/28/2009 10:25 pm

Personally, any product with bifidum strains gives me problems.

Same here. Also, FOS (a common ingredient in probiotics) gives me acne.

The SCD covers both of those things :). For some reason, most of the scientific community believe that FOS is like miracle grow for ONLY healthy bacteria. IMO, food for bacteria is food for bacteria; if you've got an overgrowth of a certain kind, you'll be feeding and contributing to the overgrowth by taking FOS.

I've had the best experience with probiotics that have a combination of strains. A person may be deficient in more than just acidophilus. Its seems counterintuitive to supplement with just one single strain.

By the way, there are other strains that are clinically proven to help digestion. B. Infantis for example.

As with most anything in diet & nutrition, you have to tailor things to suit your individual needs. If a multi-strain probiotic gives you the greatest benefit, then stick with it.

Also, I did not say that L. Acidophilus was the ONLY bacteria with research behind it; I said it was the most well-researched. I meant to emphasize that it's been tried, tested and has stood the test of time.

MemberMember
(@mike_wf)

Posted : 06/29/2009 9:15 pm

As with most anything in diet & nutrition, you have to tailor things to suit your individual needs. If a multi-strain probiotic gives you the greatest benefit, then stick with it.

Also, I did not say that L. Acidophilus was the ONLY bacteria with research behind it; I said it was the most well-researched. I meant to emphasize that it's been tried, tested and has stood the test of time.

I don't think I ever tried to contradict your assertion that acidophilus was the most researched probiotic. Nor did I suggest that you said acidophilus was the "only bacteria with research behind it".

I was merely saying that there are numerous strains in our digestive tract and some of them have been clinically tested to be helpful.

Of course a person must tailor things to their individual needs. I think that is something that most people who use this board regularly can agree on.

MemberMember
(@xarfox)

Posted : 06/29/2009 10:21 pm

not sure if it can make it worse, but all sorts of diet and lifestyle changes only got me about 80% clear. since adding probiotics, it has taken me the rest of the way. now I only get 1 or 2 pimples occasionally, and they go away quickly. Its worse if I'm eating stuff I shouldn't. Other than that I owe my clear back to probiotics.

I'm taking Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care, 50 billion count. Been on it a month, and just bought a 2 month supply for like $51. Since I cut out some of worthless prescriptions western medicine has prescribed me, its pretty much a wash, except my back is really clear.

Thanks dermatologists, for steering me wrong for 12 years. What a waste... And they tried to blame it on Creatine.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 06/29/2009 10:31 pm

Lactobacillus is more helpful and easily tolerated by almost all as it occurs naturally in the gut anyway; it's also in the natural flora of the human vagina. Others are, too, of course, but I have seen nice results with lactobacillus at helping prevent overgrowth of C-Diff in those who are susceptible to it and even on antibiotics that contribute to C-Diff (such as clindamycin or cephalexin).

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 06/30/2009 8:26 pm

I don't think I ever tried to contradict your assertion that acidophilus was the most researched probiotic. Nor did I suggest that you said acidophilus was the "only bacteria with research behind it".

I was merely saying that there are numerous strains in our digestive tract and some of them have been clinically tested to be helpful.

Of course a person must tailor things to their individual needs. I think that is something that most people who use this board regularly can agree on.

I'm sorry, I just took:

to mean that you understood what I said as "L. Acidophilus is the only bacteria with research behind it".

Regardless, on the whole, I firmly believe that L. Acidophilus is beneficial in just about every case; I've only seen one probiotic blend without it in it. If you look at natural probiotics as well (yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, fermented vegetables, etc.), the large majority contain lactobacilli species probiotics.

MemberMember
(@goodskinquest)

Posted : 04/25/2019 3:52 am

My acne flared up horrendously with probiotics so stopped taking them after 2 months. I'm still breaking out it spots though mainly on my neck. How long will it take for skin to return to normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/25/2019 9:18 pm

If you have fungal acne (which is caused by taking antibiotics), then probiotics that contain yeast (usually Saccharomyces) can make what looks like acne (but is actually caused by fungus) worse. The fungus that people have from taking antibiotics (which is causing what looks like acne) can sensitise one to all yeast.

Hence taking probiotics makes the problem worse, because of the yeast in the probiotics.

Do you have a white tongue / Do you have dandruff? If the answer to one or both of these questions is yes, then what looks like acne is actually candida (indicated by white tongue) or malasezzia (indicated by dandruff).

Get back to me if you want more information.