Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wwfasd?

Stopping Proactiv now what?

been using proactiv for a year now. i stopped for about month and my skin is now worse. for those of you that have used proactiv for a long period of time what did you switch to that actually WORKS.

OR did you incorporate something else with proactiv products.

please reply.

im going to start bc soon, and i have a poor immune system which is contributing to this new bout of acne so i don't want to place all the blame on proactiv. but a lot of people have mentioned how it makes your acne worse over time.

so please help.

been using proactiv for a year now. i stopped for about month and my skin is now worse. for those of you that have used proactiv for a long period of time what did you switch to that actually WORKS.

please reply.

im going to start bc soon, and i have a poor immune system which is contributing to this new bout of acne so i don't want to place all the blame on proactiv. but a lot of people have mentioned how it makes your acne worse over time.

so please help.

Why not try Dan's Regimen?

I have been in Proactiv's system for about 3 years now and just like you, I get breakout and cyst after a week or 2 without applying it on my face

I don't plan to stop using it anytime soon but you don't always have to follow the 3 step system. I still do in case but others have report their face being fine by using the cleanser and repairing lotion, plus it saves you a lot of time and money

Oh my goodness that is so me LOL. I used it on and off over the years but once I used it for a year and a half no problems until I changed locations and moved to MS. I stopped in MS and could not find something that worked as good except black soap and some type of shea moisturizer but I became pregnant and it was hell after that.

I used to use the three steps in the daytime ..with their spf and at night cleanser, toner than their Clarifying night lotion to clear my complexion. *i preferred the sensitive one*

After my many bouts back and forth with it because I was trying to stop all topicals what I found that worked best was to get through what I called a detox period for my skin to stop using it was to use a cleansing bar and moisturizer. The one I found that worked best was purpose cleanser than their moisturizer, i only use their spf 15 moisturizer in the day time some use it at night *i don't though*. After two weeks my skin would begin to normalize better but to help ease me out of that period I used that.

I use the purpose wash right now and neutrogena's sensitive moisturizer as well as take cod liver fish oil once a week and I seem to be doing good but another goodie I found helped my skin perfectly as an ex-proactiv user was origins plantidote line. *it does have proactiv prices being 50 dollars for a smaller version of their normal size*

I think the real thing that helps is the squalene and the turmeric they have in it because my skin acne scars, uneven pigmentation, redness and acne just cleared up. It took about 3 days and I seriously noticed results but took two weeks for all pimples to really stop. *got some tiny blackheads that I hardly notice but that's a small con for me* I would post a pic up but I'm not sure if that would be really appropriate, I have a pic up under my posts called Does anyone use origins. plantidote line

( i just stopped it because I wasn't sure if it was an anti-aging product because I just don't like my cheeks being firmed or plumped up but I think now it was just supple from the squalene so i'm going back in maybe 2 months)

Sorry this was long but I feel your pain because I went through hell after proactiv too! :-( Its a good product it just seems to stop working so well sometimes and I really like my skin to stay moisturize and not dry.

*edit* Seriously though I recommend purpose and their moisturizer try other stuff later just get through a period where your skin is not used to the benzoyl peroxide proactively clearing your pores for you.

I tried proactiv like along tinme agoo and when I did stop it made my acne way worse. I tried neutrogena 3 sztep system but I forgot what it was called, but it worked good for the mean time & then I just decided to go to a dermatologist. But yah proactiv sucked for me blah.

i was looking into origins products. the thing is im just scared to quit cold turkey....i mean i hear all these horror stories of people who stop and then get cystic acne that does not go away.

and i am already developing cysts underneath the skin all around my chin and forehead. and accutane is not an option for me. i am in very poor health (for past several months now), which is making me very depressed.

and acne is not helping :(

ok question when you stopped using proactiv for a month what did you use? You could start by using it once a day. Its your choice, you can keep using it or stop.

For me personally, I just knew I no longer wanted to use BP or salicylic acid because I didn't like how dry my face would feel though it looked flawless and their spf 15 for my darker skin left it looking ashy. For dropping as much as I did ,extra on the night time clarifying lotion in addition to the product's three part system, if my skin wasn't looking worth the price it wasn't worth continuing. LOL

I just got like three huge zits, one on my chin and two on my cheeks somewhere, they would take forever to go away just l to return in a different spot. *stayed in rotation* Pissed I was LOL but i only used the repairing lotion once a day with salicylic acid at night *their product* and I wasn't using bp twice it would be too drying for me. They do have a stronger version of the normal proactiv kit, there is sensitive, the normal advertised one and a stronger version. You just have to ask them they don't advertise the other two so its actually rare to know about them.

I just found that purpose was a good replacement its good for people with sensitive skin and acne prone IMO. The spf 15 left my face looking whitish as well but it was moisturizing and eventually settled in, if you aren't my complexion you should be fine haha. Just remember if you stop it does take a while for your skin to normalize*two weeks for me everytime I stopped* but it will especially if you use something that agrees with your skin and is gentle. You just can't stop and use nothing sadly unless you do the caveman method...that's a whole different story then LOL

Edit: Also if you use origins I would only really recommend the plantidote line, it reduces redness and inflammation. I never used the other stuff outside of that line but the lady said she believed that was the best line from origins.

Oh and I'm sorry about your poor health. :-( I eat flaxseeds and I drink a lot of green tea *salada brand* or other green teas brand period and I rarely get ill these days,*knock on wood* can't afford to with a 10 month old LOL. Also for BC pills I really thought yasmin was good it cleared me up but ...I had days I did feel really emotional and got random headaches. *not severe ones just small annoying ones *

ok question when you stopped using proactiv for a month what did you use? You could start by using it once a day. Its your choice, you can keep using it or stop.

For me personally, I just knew I no longer wanted to use BP or salicylic acid because I didn't like how dry my face would feel though it looked flawless and their spf 15 for my darker skin left it looking ashy. For dropping as much as I did ,extra on the night time clarifying lotion in addition to the product's three part system, if my skin wasn't looking worth the price it wasn't worth continuing. LOL

I just got like three huge zits, one on my chin and two on my cheeks somewhere, they would take forever to go away just l to return in a different spot. *stayed in rotation* Pissed I was LOL but i only used the repairing lotion once a day with salicylic acid at night *their product* and I wasn't using bp twice it would be too drying for me. They do have a stronger version of the normal proactiv kit, there is sensitive, the normal advertised one and a stronger version. You just have to ask them they don't advertise the other two so its actually rare to know about them.

I just found that purpose was a good replacement its good for people with sensitive skin and acne prone IMO. The spf 15 left my face looking whitish as well but it was moisturizing and eventually settled in, if you aren't my complexion you should be fine haha. Just remember if you stop it does take a while for your skin to normalize*two weeks for me everytime I stopped* but it will especially if you use something that agrees with your skin and is gentle. You just can't stop and use nothing sadly unless you do the caveman method...that's a whole different story then LOL

Edit: Also if you use origins I would only really recommend the plantidote line, it reduces redness and inflammation. I never used the other stuff outside of that line but the lady said she believed that was the best line from origins.

Oh and I'm sorry about your poor health. :-( I eat flaxseeds and I drink a lot of green tea *salada brand* or other green teas brand period and I rarely get ill these days,*knock on wood* can't afford to with a 10 month old LOL. Also for BC pills I really thought yasmin was good it cleared me up but ...I had days I did feel really emotional and got random headaches. *not severe ones just small annoying ones *

i used cetaphil and a topical steroid along with oil-free neutrogena lotion. i had atopic dermatitis (sp?) from the proactiv refining mask.

today my brother got pin tar soap, and i tried it. UGH this is such a greivance, i know proactiv is bad but i dont want cysts eruptions either.

thank you for your quick responses everyone, and jadedpoet thanks for the get well wishes.

im probably going to wuss out and go back on proactiv.

jadedpost did you say it took 2 weeks to get your skin under control? how long was it for everybody else once they stopped using.

please reply.

so please help.

after accutane, i started breaking out again..Badly. I started proactiv again and was using it for a while but noticed it irritated my skin. i ran into acne.org and started using dan's products..im actually 90% clear after 6 weeks of using the regimen and following instructions exact. the thing about proactiv was the cleanser being too irritating for my skin..and the toner wasnt much help either. proactivs BP isnt bad at all...b4 i actually ordered dans products, i started the regimen with a gentle cleanser (not proactivs lol), proactivs BP, and a gentle moisturizer and no lie i noticed my face starting to look a lil better.

i kno i sound like im advertising n shit lol but the regimen really did work for me..i dont see y it wouldnt work for you. dont be scared to give it a try. I use dans products so i dont know much about other products u can buy at a walgreens or sumtin but youll find plenty of answers here on the site if u ask.

good luck..let us know wat u end up doin

Check out my regimen below! merely using proactiv was not helping me, but i didn't want to give it up because i feel it at least does some good for my face. so i added a few things to my regimen and i am now clearing up! good luck!!

I agree w/ Jadepoet, my skin wasn't reaping enough of the clearing benefits of BP to keep on with allowing it to cost me the overall health of my skin.

Since stopping BP my skin is much healthier looking overall, regardless of not being a 100% clear.

Day 7 on Hibiclens, I finally got to the purging stage. No new acne, just all festering clogs have finally erupted. Please be just a stage. :pray:

well it seems my skin is no longer tolerating bp. i only did proactiv once today, and it became more red than usual along with itchyness after application.

at the moment i believe i might be suffering from atopic dermatitis. this happened the last time i was sick. i don't know if it has something to do with my immune system or what.

i been using nizoral shampoo along with proactiv. however i been using it everyday (your only suppose to do it once every 3 days) for 3 weeks now i believe it has caused me the rash that's currently on my neck and my itchy scalp. so i assume to stop bp at this time.

but that doesn't explain the last time i got irritated. is there a point where your skin will no longer take bp? i mean i knew it might not be as effective, but actually flaring up!

i washed with some pine tar soap again tonight and applied bp only to my forehead to experiment. it got bright red and itchy. this doesn't encourage me since i was serioualy considering the dkr regime.

bp has been my skin savior for a year. and i love the "flawless" look it provides. i guess smify tyme has a point though- better to have healthy skin and a few blemishes. despite the fact my forehead, chin, and nose are taken over by acne.

what a lovely summer :(

i just want to thank you all who has replied.

it means A LOT.

wwfasd,

Sounds as if it might not be all BP's fault. Over washing and not moisturizing your skin enough can lead to over sensitivity and acne/irritation. I find if over abuse my skin it tends to punish me back. I find that killing bacteria softly is sneakier and more effective than smacking it around.

A few hours after my skin purged/and treating it w/ my Hibiclens, it is starting to calm down nicely and breakout is disappearing. I swear I don't work this company, just grateful that something finally works.

SmirfyTyme,

Well i do moisturize with neutrogena oil-free lotion usually after i use my proactiv, but i realized i only do it when i leave the house, and for the past week i've been sick at home...and i have been steadily increasing the amount of bp after reading this website....maybe your right...ah i'm such an idiot. My skin has been dryer than usual. not anyBIG flakes but the overall texture and if your really close. especially on the tip of my nose, around my mouth, and cheeks. i can afford to be dry on my forehead (im very oily there).

I'm glad that your skin did not develop new acne and is starting to calm down. what is Hibiclens?

as of right now, though because my skin on my whole body seems to been infected with some sort of rash, i am chaning my routine until i see my derm.

AM

wash pine tar soap

apply cortizone cream to infected areas of face (aveeno cortizone for neck etc.)

moisturize with neutrogena and cetaphil (i found cetaphil to be irritating my skin-so i discontinued)

PM

*debating* proactiv

OR the same routine for AM

my derm appointment is not until the 13th i am going to try to squeeze in earlier now because of this newly developed rash.

I was using proactiv for awhile...over a year. My skin was just ...how would I put this.? Not clearing up but I guess not getting worse. Finally after not seeing a result after over a year, I stopped using proactiv. My face blew up with acne. I couldn't believe it. I would not tell anyone to use this product. I have been seeing a doctor and a dermatologist for 4 years. Have tried everything. I just got approved to be put on Accutane so we will see what happens. I'm nervous though...any thoughts?

Sarah5484,

STOPPING PROACTIV MADE YOU BREAKOUT FOR 4 YEARS?!

i'm screwed, now i don't think i can stop!!!!!! :(

IM SO SORRY but accutane sounds like a godsend, i unfortunately cant go on it.

Not everyone is the same, I didn't break out for 4 years, or get cysts. You can't be afraid to try*experiment* or you will be stuck miserable. ;)

I think if you aren't allergic to Benzoyl peroxide you should try Dan's regime. That way you are simplifying your methods and still using the BP like you did from proactiv without losing out on it. You then drop all of the other added irritating things proactiv puts in their system while using neutrogena still as your moisturizer. :-)

Do you have eczema by chance, I see you are using a steriod cream.

my brother has ezcema, and so does my father. my little brother has it bad though, on his face.

i mean i never had it before...if i do, then i know that because he has ezcema, my brother can't use bp. the only thing im worried about dans regime is that it may be TOO irritating with all that bp. if you skin dries up, doesn't that mean more oil production? more breakouts?

is there anyone who had switched from proactiv to dkr?

i know i should experiment, but i really am scared. i mean a month of bad breakout fine, but monthS and yearS?

I'm on proactiv right now...

I used it for 2 years, then I got off of it when it stopped working. My face was pretty bad for almost 8 months while experimenting. I even tried DKR and my face was super irritated and bloodshot red. Needless to say, I'm back on proactiv and I'm not 100% (never ever was) but it's more manageable.

I'm also nervous to change anything up due to the mere fact that once you stop proactiv, all the bacteria that it is keeping oxygenated comes back full force.

I went to the derm after I stopped proactiv and he gave me all this crap. 2 topicals and a pill. Never worked, wasted lots of money.

I'm trying to see what else I can use to keep acne at bay if I decide to ever stop proactiv. I've been looking into a tea tree oil cleanser. I'm not sure if that would work for me though.

I don't like having to have BP on my face all day, it's rather annoying, but if I dont do proactiv 2 times a day, I get a few zits the following week.

If anyone really has weaned their way off proactiv, how did you do it and what did you use?

I started CTRL after i gave up on Proactiv CTRL uses salicylic acid so it is much better on my skin and it cleared me up in less than a week

I started CTRL after i gave up on Proactiv CTRL uses salicylic acid so it is much better on my skin and it cleared me up in less than a week

Did you switch immediately from Proactiv to CTRL? Did you have a waiting period between the switch? Any delayed breakouts?

Yeah I tried the so called "miracle" product Proactiv myself and it didn't work at ALL for me. My skin didn't get worse, but it never cleared up either and considering how expensive it is, its really not worth it to keep using it.

I found that both the Dr. Miracle 3 piece acne kit and Dan's Acne.org Regiman work very well. I like the way Dr. Miracle makes my skin tingle and its grest for ethnic skin but if you are looking for larger containers and more product for your money go for acne.org. Either kit should work fine.

Yeah I tried the so called "miracle" product Proactiv myself and it didn't work at ALL for me. My skin didn't get worse, but it never cleared up either and considering how expensive it is, its really not worth it to keep using it.

I found that both the Dr. Miracle 3 piece acne kit and Dan's Acne.org Regiman work very well. I like the way Dr. Miracle makes my skin tingle and its grest for ethnic skin but if you are looking for larger containers and more product for your money go for acne.org. Either kit should work fine.

I tried acne.org and the BP caused my face to become bloodshot red for 3 months. I had to discontinue that product.