Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I wrote a while back about a product I loved that helped my acne and clear up my acne scarring and discoloration. No responses LOL but I'm sure a lot of people don't use it.

I think the key ingredient in it was squalene and that really hooked my skin up acne wise and skin discoloration! One con I found was I noticed some really tine blackheads *hardly noticeable unless I hunted for them* here and there normally where I never got them before but i'll probably buy something from that company to combat that.

Has anyone ever used Squalene for their acne prone skin? If so have you noticed your skin becoming more supple or firm?

I was actually considering trying complex 15 or even olive oil for a moisturizer...both contain squalene. Humans produce squalene in our skin, so maybe applying it topically somehow absorbs the excess of it on skin??

Squalene is actually part of sebum...the crap that causes acne. I'm not entirely sure how that works

Honestly I still don't know I read that squalene does go much deeper into the layer of the skin but ironically i've had problems with applying olive oil topically. Since squalene ..or squalane *one is made from shark liver the other from olives*. I guess olive oil doesn't go as deep as squalane because it would break me out then again I think I got the wrong brand to use or I used it with the wrong product moisturizer/cleanser. *i used cold compressed olive oil but I think it was 100% greek*

I've had the same weird thing with jojoba oil I tried it and can't really use it by itself or maybe it was my cleanser..but added with the right moisturizer in my case lily of the desert gelly it would clear me up? *the gelly wouldnt clear me up alone* this is so confusing i'm not a mixologist and adding and subtracting components are not for me especially with my face as the experimental pad LOL.

I just know the squalene in this equation works with all the mushrooms added.

*sorry its squalane just read it*

Hmm never heard of complex 15.

I've always been skeptical of oils - seeing as any oil I've ever used has broken me out - including jojoba. I was just curious about olive, but I think I may just avoid it.

Complex 15 Lotion

I keep wanting to try the stuff, but...it has so many chemicals in it and that alone makes me nervous. It just has SOO many good reviews.

Actually looking at the ingredients it doesn't seem to have that many in them especially compared to the system I used now and proactiv in the past LOL. The cheapo moisturizer i'm using as of right now is neutrogena's and it doesn't seem to have much either but it has petroleum and that has always made me nervous. The ingredients of the product you have up don't seem to be that bad honestly, I usually look up each individually in a google search when I'm really curious about them.

From my experience its not how much ingredients are in something but what they ultimately use. I would just try it out on one cheek to see if I had a reaction.

It has squalane *just noticed that since its furthur down the list than expected* There is a theory I saw online that its supposed*or maybe* able to somehow nullify the effects of the "bad" stuff companies put in their products.

I wish you luck with it if you do happen to try it out! :)

Actually looking at the ingredients it doesn't seem to have that many in them especially compared to the system I used now and proactiv in the past LOL. The cheapo moisturizer i'm using as of right now is neutrogena's and it doesn't seem to have much either but it has petroleum and that has always made me nervous. The ingredients of the product you have up don't seem to be that bad honestly, I usually look up each individually in a google search when I'm really curious about them.

From my experience its not how much ingredients are in something but what they ultimately use. I would just try it out on one cheek to see if I had a reaction.

It has squalane *just noticed that since its furthur down the list than expected* There is a theory I saw online that its supposed*or maybe* able to somehow nullify the effects of the "bad" stuff companies put in their products.

I wish you luck with it if you do happen to try it out! :)

yeah I may try it. If people can use it for 30 years with positive results, maybe it won't be so bad. That, and I get the distinct feeling that mice and rabbit skin is a bit different than ours and may react differently. I also can't seem to find any natural moisturizers that aren't oils. I keep reading aloe vera has drying effects, which is odd, but I think I'll give Complex 15 a shot and see.

Guest missyjean130

My avalon Organics serum has that in it, it's always made my skin calmer and less irritated =P

I can't use pure oils on my face though...jojoba,olive oil,etc are good in smaller doses in lotions,but my skin breaks out in high concentrations.

That sounds like me! I can't use it solely on my face but they are in my products and don't break me out its weird.

Did you notice any firming or extra suppleness to your face with the squalene/squalane?

Guest missyjean130
That sounds like me! I can't use it solely on my face but they are in my products and don't break me out its weird.

Did you notice any firming or extra suppleness to your face with the squalene/squalane?

Well there's a lot of shit in my serum that's good for my skin,borage oils,flax,vitamin c,olive squalene,vitamin e,ect ect so it's hard to just give thanks to the squalene...but yes my skin is pretty darn soft! I also think it helps loads with redmarks in usage with my acv toner.

I recently tried La Roche Posay's Toleriane Fluide, since it is like the simplest of ingredients. Turned out to be an epic fail. Their second ingredient is Squalane, which is way too much to be tolerated by acne-prone people. After looking through forums and reviews, it seems like a lot of people broke out from this as well. They all seem to have problems with Squalane.

It did feel good and absorb fully, and I really wished it wasn't that, but I had no active acne prior to using it. Tricky thing about Squalane, it seems some people do not break out immediately or the day after. For me it was 1-2 weeks of constant day/night application that finally caused constant breakouts. I found a lot of others had the same problems.

All in all, Squalane is an oil, sebum like oil. Too much sebum = Breakouts.

Squalene, which is obtained olive oil, rice bran and amaranth, is used in cosmetics and skin care products with claims about advantages to your skin's health, including curing acne and delaying the products of lines as well as other signs of aging.

What is squalene

According to the World Health Organization, it is a naturally occurring substance found in humans, plants and animals. It is used in a variety of foods, cosmetics, over the counter medications and health supplements, as well as pharmaceutical products and vaccines.

Use in skin products

Squalene has antioxidant properties and antioxidants may protect your cells from the damaging effect of free radicals. Free radicals can prematurely age the skin. However, as extracted from the original source, it is not stable so a hydrogenation process is applied to create squalane which has a more stable form which is preferred for use in skin care products.

Benefits

The presence of squalane in cosmetics and other skin care can help protect the skin from drying out and also creates a barrier against ultraviolet rays, which can aid in the appearance of aging.

Risks

There is some evidence that squalene is a factor in the production of acne; when doing a chemical analysis of the sebum, which is a pimple causing agent found in the skin, there is a noted presence of squalene, though not a refined version as one would find in skin care products.

Assessing use

Olives

Most of the information on available on the web touts the use of squalane to gain clear skin; the rest of the information is highly scientific and has not strictly addressed the benefits of this product as a beneficial agent for skin concerns. Overall it seems a perfectly safe, if potentially ineffective additive which does not seem to cause acne but that could help with the appearance of the skin.

I recently tried La Roche Posay's Toleriane Fluide, since it is like the simplest of ingredients. Turned out to be an epic fail. Their second ingredient is Squalane, which is way too much to be tolerated by acne-prone people. After looking through forums and reviews, it seems like a lot of people broke out from this as well. They all seem to have problems with Squalane.

It did feel good and absorb fully, and I really wished it wasn't that, but I had no active acne prior to using it. Tricky thing about Squalane, it seems some people do not break out immediately or the day after. For me it was 1-2 weeks of constant day/night application that finally caused constant breakouts. I found a lot of others had the same problems.

All in all, Squalane is an oil, sebum like oil. Too much sebum = Breakouts.

Same here! I was really excited about this moisturizer and it's super short ingredient list. It felt great at frist and my skin wasn't really oily anymore. Fast forward two weeks and my face was covered in little bumps and super itchy! I stopped using the LRP and the itchiness stopped and the bumps slowly went away. I wonder what the problem was... the squalane?