Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadonfive

Who here has acne that is NOT improved by a strict diet?

Lately I've been wondering about this. Who here has given a very healthy diet an honest and consistent try (very few cheats over an extended period of time) and STILL has acne that is not improved at all?

Feedback is appreciated. Maybe we can piece together a new approach.

I can clear up on a bad diet. I can even eat my allergens if my digestion is good. I don't think there is one healthy diet for everyone. I also know for a fact that a lot of diets that clear others up do not work for me and vice versa.

There's no food I am afraid to eat really. I honestly think I've 'grown out' of acne or whatever. I eat anything now I really can't explain why my acne went away.

Great thread btw.

for me it's more about digestion and avoiding allergens. I can clear up on a bad diet. I can even eat my allergens if my digestion is good. I don't think there is one healthy diet for everyone. I also know for a fact that a lot of diets that clear others up do not work for me and vice versa.

I really agree, that's a good point. By healthy diet, I meant basically no refined sugar and very few things like additives and other refined goods or fake foods. I'm not looking into macronutrient ratios or whether someone eats gluten or not.

What's your standards of good digestion?

I can clear up on a bad diet. I can even eat my allergens if my digestion is good. I don't think there is one healthy diet for everyone. I also know for a fact that a lot of diets that clear others up do not work for me and vice versa.

There's no food I am afraid to eat really. I honestly think I've 'grown out' of acne or whatever. I eat anything now I really can't explain why my acne went away.

If you're 24+ then that explain why your acne went away. However, you should still consider to eat healthy! To stay at a healthy weight and to feel better.

By the way, I'm 100% clear and I eat healthy! And I don't even cheat! Not even on the weekend! Or months!

for me it's more about digestion and avoiding allergens. I can clear up on a bad diet. I can even eat my allergens if my digestion is good. I don't think there is one healthy diet for everyone. I also know for a fact that a lot of diets that clear others up do not work for me and vice versa.

I really agree, that's a good point. By healthy diet, I meant basically no refined sugar and very few things like additives and other refined goods or fake foods. I'm not looking into macronutrient ratios or whether someone eats gluten or not.

I have to 'feel' good. Yeah that is vague, but as long as my joints aren't clicking, my back doesn't 'pop', I feel healthy and energetic as oppsed to tired or bloated then my skin looks great.

All I can really say is that I eat anything in moderation (not excessive or frequently) and as long as I feel good I don't break out...

I guess my diet is pretty balanced...I eat some good fats, veggies, fruit, animal protein, grains, sugar, ice cream, cheese, donuts (my fav), pickled stuff, sauces, hotdogs, desserts etc I don't avoid anything.

I know a lot of people have cleared up with flushing and I do have a BM everyday (plus I remember being constipated when I had acne, not overly but occasionally).

Mostly I'm just not thinking about whether or not food will break me out and I just eat for enjoyment and when hungry.

Oh I'm 22, female and slim.

I think if I didn't feel healthy, eat a varied diet or have a BM everyday I would probably break out.

I have to 'feel' good. Yeah that is vague, but as long as my joints aren't clicking, my back doesn't 'pop', I feel healthy and energetic as oppsed to tired or bloated then my skin looks great.

All I can really say is that I eat anything in moderation (not excessive or frequently) and as long as I feel good I don't break out...

I guess my diet is pretty balanced...I eat some good fats, veggies, fruit, animal protein, grains, sugar, ice cream, cheese, donuts (my fav), pickled stuff, sauces, hotdogs, desserts etc I don't avoid anything.

I know a lot of people have cleared up with flushing and I do have a BM everyday (plus I remember being constipated when I had acne, not overly but occasionally).

Mostly I'm just not thinking about whether or not food will break me out and I just eat for enjoyment and when hungry.

I'm 22 as well! I would like to try and eat junk food! Just once! To see whether I would break out or not.

If you're 24+ then that explain why your acne went away. However, you should still consider to eat healthy! To stay at a healthy weight and to feel better.

By the way, I'm 100% clear and I eat healthy! And I don't even cheat! Not even on the weekend! Or months!

I'm 22 as well! I would like to try and eat junk food! Just once! To see whether I would break out or not.

Try it! I'm glad I did. My point is, I don't have to be strict to be clear.

Cutting things out has not worked for me at all. However, clearing up nutrient deficiencies does seem to help. I've been taking a multivitamin called Adam and lately I've been getting a lot more attention from the ladies. I do eat healty work out super hard. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but those shoulders are made of muscle. lol

Interesting question.. I was thinking about my skin and when it was most clear;often times, my diet was not the best. I hardly got any acne this holiday season (0ct-dec), and I was eating all the festive foods- cakes, pies, fried stuff , creamy sauces, and candy.

I don't think my acne is really affected by my diet, but I do eat good foods to be healthy overall.

me!

i eat very clean, but acne didnt get any better - its all hormones guys - diet may improve the complexion for very mild , superficial acne (tiny whiteheads) but cysts and deep red pimples are the cause of imbalanced hormones or elevated levels of specific hormones.

i avoid allergens though (nuts for me)

Interesting thread....I used to eat as healthy as possible trying to cut out soda, desserts, chocolate, ice-cream, etc w/o noticing any positive or negative effect on my acne at all. So one day I was like f* it and thought let's see how bad these foods really are for acne. And to my delight and surprise I was able to get away with eating cookies, snack cakes, ice-cream, choco milk, candy bars, red meat, and whatever else I wanted w/o it causing any acne. There is no food now that I am afraid to eat due to possible acne triggers. Which to me it seems silly that I ever thought food might cause me to breakout in the 1st place....I mean I ate anything and everything for 14 years before the onset of any acne, so why would food all the sudden cause me to breakout?

Interesting thread....I used to eat as healthy as possible trying to cut out soda, desserts, chocolate, ice-cream, etc w/o noticing any positive or negative effect on my acne at all. So one day I was like f* it and thought let's see how bad these foods really are for acne. And to my delight and surprise I was able to get away with eating cookies, snack cakes, ice-cream, choco milk, candy bars, red meat, and whatever else I wanted w/o it causing any acne. There is no food now that I am afraid to eat due to possible acne triggers. Which to me it seems silly that I ever thought food might cause me to breakout in the 1st place....I mean I ate anything and everything for 14 years before the onset of any acne, so why would food all the sudden cause me to breakout?

In my opinion, you broke out because of the cumulative effect of eating crappy food for 14 years. I really do believe that acne is a modern disease caused by our lifestyles and I challenge anyone to disagree with me. That's why virtually no one before the 20th century had acne, and it's why people like the Kitavans and other rural populations do not have acne. Polyunsaturated fats, refined foods, chemicals, and artificial/refined sugar did not exist in those circumstances. Neither did chronic air pollution, street drugs and not-needed stress that human bodies were never designed for. Those foods interfere with hormone and bodily reactions. I absolutely think that diet is a great way to help your skin, but it will probably take years to balance everything out again. No one can deny that children are hitting puberty and acquiring acne earlier and earlier as time goes on. I strongly believe it's all related to the things we consume.

@ Mfit - I agree that it's all hormones. But think - what caused those hormones to get so badly screwed up in the first place? I know that "puberty" is the readily available answer because of the upheaval of hormones when puberty starts, but now with adult acne and teenage acne being EXTREMELY common, that's a poor excuse IMO.

I haven't had dairy for years, very limited wheat and gluten and excessive sugar. I exercise regularly and only smoke or drink a couple times a month. Never beer. Despite that, I get a mild breakout consistently each week and it frustrates the shit out of me. What else can one do?

Adult Acne would be i.e. due to low testosterone and high estrogen, since testosterone declines with age..so there would be a imbalance in those 2...for women it would be imbalances in hormones too (hey have their cycles, which may fuck with the hormones)

so i think if u dont get the acne from screwing around with hormones urself (i.e. anabolic steroid for men or birth control for women) its mostly genetic and u would get it no matter what until ur hormones balance.

as i said im a big healthy diet supporter (since im bodybuilding) and i think it has a great affect on the whole body and ur complexion..but i dont think that crapfood (chocolate,cookies,ice cream) will cause acne or trigger it in any way, so u would be fine with both diet-types (healthy and unhealthy) in concerns of acne.

But despite that, a healthy diet is always essential...lots of protein,complex carbs,essential fats,some monosaturated fats.. some green veggies per day,multivitamin,vit b complex,a good whey protein (even if u dont work out its only beneficial to you) and some zinc/magnesium/calcium and fishoil

ull have more energy,feel younger,feel better...but when u crave junkfood , then have some as in my opinoin it won't affect ur acne ..

discussion on! :)

Adult Acne would be i.e. due to low testosterone and high estrogen, since testosterone declines with age..so there would be a imbalance in those 2...for women it would be imbalances in hormones too (hey have their cycles, which may fuck with the hormones)

so i think if u dont get the acne from screwing around with hormones urself (i.e. anabolic steroid for men or birth control for women) its mostly genetic and u would get it no matter what until ur hormones balance.

I completely disagree. Plenty of women who weren't genetically prone to acne get it once they take birth control pills, and plenty of men who aren't genetically prone to acne get it from taking steroids from bodybuilding. Acne is commonly caused by HIGH dihydrotestosterone, which stimulates 5-alpha reductase and the oil glands. Another example: saliva tests showed me that I have high free testosterone and extremely low estrogen, and I have acne.

i think u misread my post...i completly concur with u :)

what i meant is , if u dont screw around with ur hormones urself and get acne from that, then its genetic...

high DHT may cause acne yes, but also low or high estrogen in men may cause acne...

Salivatests are not really exact...bloodwork only will give u the exact hormonelevels..

Salivatests are not really exact...bloodwork only will give u the exact hormonelevels..

That's completely untrue. Blood tests for hormones only measure the amount of the hormone floating around in the blood (some of which is already protein-bound and not bioavailable,) while saliva tests measure the amount of hormones the tissues are RECEIVING, which is what's important to know.

do u have some studies to show that?

i alway had in mind , that bloodwork is the best,since saliva is not accurate cause of inconsitence results..besides they are very expensive..

do u have some studies to show that?

i alway had in mind , that bloodwork is the best,since saliva is not accurate cause of inconsitence results..besides they are very expensive.

It's ok, alot of people think that. It's a widely spread myth. Blood tests just aren't sensitive enough, I think it's funny how doctors are so programmed by their teaching to shun other methods of testing. If saliva tests were covered by insurance (at least in the USA,) they'd be cheaper than blood tests. I've seen alot of arguments saying that blood tests are better, but after looking at the facts, I'm on the saliva test's side when it comes to testing for hormones.

I Spit On Your Blood Test!

Saliva Is a Valuable Diagnostic Tool by Michel Y. Farhat, Ph.D and Elias F. Ilyia, Ph.D

Salivary Hormone Analysis by Kristin Collins, N.D.

Saliva Testing Myths + Facts

Why doctors want to BAN saliva testing

"Most hormones are now measured in serum or plasma using RIA or ELISA assays. These methods are reliable and sensitive and provide accurate results about the hormonal status of a patient, however, the usefulness of blood testing measurements is limited.

The primary limitation is that blood testing measurements represent total hormone levels, the sum of ''free'' (bioavailable) and ''bound'' hormones, so the results of a blood test are less precise than saliva testing. Another disadvantage of this approach is the fluctuation of blood hormone levels. Multiple blood samples are often necessary to overcome this limitation. "

Lately I've been wondering about this. Who here has given a very healthy diet an honest and consistent try (very few cheats over an extended period of time) and STILL has acne that is not improved at all?

Well I'm convinced my body digests foods weird so I don't know how well I can apply to the majority. Typically foods high in fiber (potatoes and broccoli especially) ALWAYS "plug" me up which causes me to break out. Why? I have no idea... I thought they should push things along but...

Also Citrus fruits tend to clear me up a little (and I know they break others out). My dairy intake has no effect on acne either.

This is the absolute weirdest: White pasta has no bad effect on my acne. In fact it tends to improve it. Gosh being Italian is great! lol!

Like I said, my body digests things weird- and I found this out by a LOT of experimentation

Just to comment on the idea that diet can't affect severe or cystic acne:

I had moderate acne throughout my teens. When I was 22, I went to stay with a family who gave me masses of cheese and butter at every meal (I was vegetarian and they didn't know what else to feed me). I developed the worst acne of my life - every pore seemed to be infected, and I had hard lesions of up to an inch diameter - it was painful even to smile or move my lips to talk. One of them (may a lightening bolt strike me dead as I type if I exaggerate) exploded with great force without me even touching it.

I know, yummy. Then I found a book that recommended avoiding saturated fats - which I did. And my skin started clearing up more or less immediately.

So, while I agree that acne is primarily hormonal (I've used antiandrogens with great success too), I think you can change mild to moderate acne to severe acne if your diet is poor.

I have had *some* success with diet changes but just not enough to be clear through diet changes alone. Its also a nightmare trying to figure out why I feel sick, why I get painful cramps sometimes, wether this is caused by intolerance(s) or simply a side effect of my medication (minocycline is known for causing nausea)

As Ive been eating healthy for so long (and yes over time its slipped) and I still consistently break out between my eyebrows, and recently on my forehead as well, its reasonable to believe there's food in my diet that I don't agree with and I suspect lactose is prime, as my skin improved (eyebrows AND chin) after dropping milk

The thing is I just started taking an anti-depressant every morning which contains lactose! So I guess the sensible thing to do is take a lactose enzyme with that, as I suspect it's contributed to my skin worsening again, and if it improves somewhat , I'll know that's something to avoid...

So yeah my acne improved somewhat but really it should have been more, which is why I started slipping up again, I just sort of gave up I guess, though I want to give it another try

Have you identified any foods which you may be intolerant to? Checked the ingredients in your vitamins for things you may have otherwise cut out? Do you exercise/sleep well? Do you have any other symptoms? Cramps? Regular menstural cycle? (mine is non existent at the moment which I'm sure is not helping things) How is your metabolism/digestion? Stress levels?

Do you take medication at the moment or is this purely a holistic approach? I'd love to piece together a new approach to my acne, as I'm not stressed about it anymore, but I'm at my wits end trying to get rid of it completely....it won't budge..

me!

i eat very clean, but acne didnt get any better - its all hormones guys - diet may improve the complexion for very mild , superficial acne (tiny whiteheads) but cysts and deep red pimples are the cause of imbalanced hormones or elevated levels of specific hormones.

i avoid allergens though (nuts for me)

but..diet can affect hormones. When I don't eat tons of carbs, sugars or milk...my skin clears up. When I DO spluge, even if I just have ONE small piece of cake or a small handful of candies like Reeses Pieces, I get some acne.

Sebum causes acne. Surges in hormones can cause over production of sebum and so can't foods. It just depends on the person.

Also, I was put on birth control for a hormonal imbalance a couple of years ago. After a few months of acne hell, my skin went back to it's usual mild-moderate acne as opposed to moderate-severe. Even after things leveled out, I noticed only very slight improvement...and the things that improved weren't just the deep red pimples - actually, it was both those AND the 'superficial ones', but I still had terrible skin. Instead of having 10 zits..I'd have 8 instead, so the improvement wasn't drastic.

Only when I started eating healthier did my skin improve. At first I just cut out sugars and started chugging water. It got a little better, but still broke out. I cut out any grain that wasn't whole grain, reduced intake of ANY grain and it got better still. Then, finally, I took out about 99% of dairy consumption and my skin cleared up dramatically. I had clear skin for a while from this, but living with someone who thrives on pasta, bread and dairy, it's a little difficult and I caved in. I don't eat as much of the stuff that I used to, but when I DO eat it at all, it causes me mild breakouts.

Shame on my poor willpower. (not to mention lack of money for better quality foods)

I have had *some* success with diet changes but just not enough to be clear through diet changes alone. Its also a nightmare trying to figure out why I feel sick, why I get painful cramps sometimes, wether this is caused by intolerance(s) or simply a side effect of my medication (minocycline is known for causing nausea)

As Ive been eating healthy for so long (and yes over time its slipped) and I still consistently break out between my eyebrows, and recently on my forehead as well, its reasonable to believe there's food in my diet that I don't agree with and I suspect lactose is prime, as my skin improved (eyebrows AND chin) after dropping milk

The thing is I just started taking an anti-depressant every morning which contains lactose! So I guess the sensible thing to do is take a lactose enzyme with that, as I suspect it's contributed to my skin worsening again, and if it improves somewhat , I'll know that's something to avoid...

So yeah my acne improved somewhat but really it should have been more, which is why I started slipping up again, I just sort of gave up I guess, though I want to give it another try

Have you identified any foods which you may be intolerant to? Checked the ingredients in your vitamins for things you may have otherwise cut out? Do you exercise/sleep well? Do you have any other symptoms? Cramps? Regular menstural cycle? (mine is non existent at the moment which I'm sure is not helping things) How is your metabolism/digestion? Stress levels?

Do you take medication at the moment or is this purely a holistic approach? I'd love to piece together a new approach to my acne, as I'm not stressed about it anymore, but I'm at my wits end trying to get rid of it completely....it won't budge..

no! not another anti-depressant user! You won't change depression unless you change thinking patterns and behaviors! Of course, you could be on it for something completely different...but if it IS because of clinical depression, seek first to improve your mind yourself without pills that only make you dependent. I'm sure it's definitely not helping if it contains lactose!

I'd give diet a try. I may not be super strict about it, and it shows, but if you have the willpower (and funds) to keep at it, it's REALLY well worth it. Also, I noticed when my digestion improved, so didn't my skin! So for some people, perhaps it's just toxins getting released in the body that were supposed to be removed that's causing skin problems.