Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vanessa18

Is drinking alot of alchohol bad for your skin?

i'm assuming that it is.. But i want to make sure.. Do you think it increases acne? Let me know please cause i tend to drink alot and i'm trying to stop but i'm just curious to know if it increases acne. Thanks

You make yourself sound like an alcoholic lol

I started drinking again (as an experiment). Light drinking (e.g. 2 bottles of beer and 1 shot) doesn't affect my skin at all.

Heavy drinking didn't affect my skin either. Actually, i got a bit 'pasty', but didn't get any acne. I noticed that my hair shed more than usual though. I went all out a couple of weeks ago at my buddy's bachelor party. I was counting my drinks, but i lost count after 13 shots of vodka, 3 beers, and 2 shots of jack daniels. I actually don't remember anything after that, but i know i drank a lot more from the pictures i saw. Mind you, i hadn't really drunk this much in over a year. I actually tried to give up alcohol completely - found out that this is more impossible than giving up cigarettes. Giving up alcohol will turn you into a social outcast. Anyway, I woke up with a very nasty hangover, found out that i puked all over the washroom, and drank some more beers to calm down. I got drunk later that night too, but i don't remember how much i drank. It was a lot though. Even after all that, i got no acne.

Maybe i stayed clear because i was mostly drinking vodka or vodka sodas instead of rum and cokes. *shrugs*

I had rum and coke and beers recently and my skin was quite fine the next day, even with a hangover. I think it depends.

I believe it's the sugar that's in most mixed drinks that would probably cause you to break out, also, the loss of sleep when you drink too much and stay up all night partying.

It's better to drink in moderation. I have 1-2 drinks a month.

I agree with electric_feel, that the sugary mixed drinks are probably what causes any acne, if at all. Drinking doesn't make me break out, thank god. If you think that's what's causing you to break out, you could experiment with drinking a little less and seeing if your skin improves.

out of any drug ive tried, alcohol makes your skin look the worst. i can smoke pot everyday and not break out but if i have a couple of beers ill be seeing some white heads the next morning. the only drug thats actually helped my skin though are shrooms. yea thats right, after tripping you get this afterglow of positive energy and life is so much less stressful for a week or two. no stress = less breakouts. try it! hahaha

out of any drug ive tried, alcohol makes your skin look the worst. i can smoke pot everyday and not break out but if i have a couple of beers ill be seeing some white heads the next morning. the only drug thats actually helped my skin though are shrooms. yea thats right, after tripping you get this afterglow of positive energy and life is so much less stressful for a week or two. no stress = less breakouts. try it! hahaha

I think it's against board rules to endorse drugs/hallucinogens.

Thanks for the feedback! Yah well I havent broke out in a while cause I'm on medication now lolmm I was just wondering cause ppl are always talkin bout bein healthy to have good skin. so I was just thinking like maybe drinking was bad for my skin. What about scars,? Does it slow down the process of the red marks? Or has no effect?

Alcohol never caused any breakouts for me, and this is after drinking excessively for quite a while.

I quit drinking 6 weeks ago, and my skin is pretty much completely clear now. I never had sugary mixers, I only drank red wine. Before quitting drinking, my skin was badly inflamed and I had lots of blackheads and pustules. The spots that were there seemed to be healing very slowly as well.

I think different things affect different people. The causes of acne are multifactorial (hormonal, bacterial, diet) - if you get one thing right but one of the others is way out, then you may not notice the benefits of that one good thing.

I've had moderate acne since I was about 11. By way of treatment, I've used antibiotics, antiandrogens (one small benefit to being female), and strict diet control. All made a significant difference when using that form of treatment. My take on this is that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Antiandrogens were probably the most effective for me (my pores even went small for the first time since I was 11!), but since they also completely killed my sex drive it didn't seem like the greatest long-term option.

After that (not including avoiding alcohol here), probably diet control worked best (avoiding dairy, animal fats and other saturated fats and lots of fresh veg). My current regime of healthy diet + no alcohol seems to have resulted in me having perfectly clear skin for the first time (barring when I was on anti-androgens) since I was 11. I am 41 now, so this isn't a case of me coincidentally 'growing out' of acne at the same time I gave up drinking.

I suspect alcohol aggravates acne for most people, but most of us don't want to believe it because it's fun to drink, so we don't want to have to give up that fun thing. When I was younger, I always noticed my skin got clearer if I ended up not drinking for a few weeks (a situation that was more likely to happen when I was younger and had less spare cash!). Then again, there may be some people for whom it genuinely has no effect.

I was just wondering cause ppl are always talkin bout bein healthy to have good skin. so I was just thinking like maybe drinking was bad for my skin.

Well, if you drink a lot everyday, it could be a problem if your liver is sluggish. You wanna give your liver some time to recuperate. Some people take milk thistle before and/or after drinking to detoxify the liver, but i usually just have some food with a teaspoon of turmeric in it (usually in curry) before a night out of drinking. I only started drinking again not too long ago, so my tolerance should be down, but it's not. I honestly believe the turmeric significantly boosted my tolerance like never before.

Don't know anything about scars though.

i would definately say yes. anytime youre putting toxins in your blood it irritates your skin and turns it red and sweaty; you may feel very warm when youre drunk, even if youre in the snow. alcohol seems to just make my skin blotchy... but to be fair, whenever i drink i also happen to be up quite late. missing sleep can do this too