Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About 2 years ago my dermatologist put me on the antibiotic Bactrim twice a day and had me apply Differin 0.3% Gel every night. This actually seemed to clear me up because a few months later, I had virtually no active acne and all my red marks were fading/had faded. I was a happy man.

Then after almost a year and a half of being clear, a few months ago, I broke out. And they were similar to the inflamed kind I used to get. For whatever reason, I stopped using the Differin, thinking it wasn't doing anything anymore (probably a stupid move, I know). I still took the Bactrim though. I'm not as bad now as I was 2 years ago, but they are fairly persistant breakouts. Mostly just whiteheads and the occassional inflamed spot, but they are leaving red marks.

I'm wondering what I should do. I've been off the Differin for a few months now and I'm afraid to go back on it now because I'm afraid of the initial breakout. I have a lot of stuff coming up soon and the thought of being worse than I am now just drains all of the confidence out of me. Plus, just because it may have worked before, is it even possible it could help me again? I was thinking maybe I'll be immune to it now if I try to go back to using it.

I still take the Bactrim twice a day though. My dermatologist told me to keep taking it because he said there's no problem taking Bactrim long term. But since I'm not using the Differin and I'm still breaking out, it makes me wonder if the Bactrim is even working anymore.

What should I do?