Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TrevorB

I need help with my diet.

What is the BEST possible diet I could have that would best benefit my skin and hair. Please, the more in depth, the better. A list would be nice :)

Right now my diet sucks... I pretty much eat whatever is there, and i don't take any supplements. The only thing i guess you could say is that I've avoided dairy kind of.

I'm up for ANYTHING. Tell me all the supplements, food, whatever.

OH and I'm not sure if this of much help, but I avoid the sun at all costs.

Hi Trevor.

If you don't eat dairy, what else do you eat to get your calcium?

Do you cook much at home, or do you get a lot of take out?

I think you just need to try and have a balanced diet, with lots of fresh fruit and veg, and try and limit the amount of processed foods that you eat. If you have a good diet, that I wouldn't think that you would need any supplements, but I have seen that a lot of people on this site are, so perhaps they can suggest something.

Cheers.

Hi Trevor.

If you don't eat dairy, what else do you eat to get your calcium?

Do you cook much at home, or do you get a lot of take out?

I think you just need to try and have a balanced diet, with lots of fresh fruit and veg, and try and limit the amount of processed foods that you eat. If you have a good diet, that I wouldn't think that you would need any supplements, but I have seen that a lot of people on this site are, so perhaps they can suggest something.

Cheers.

I like NEVER eat take out, and i never really eat junk food.

And i said I avoid dairy, not completely though. Sometimes I'll have milk.

Sorry... I guess I wasn't any help then.

I suppose just look at some of the other threads under Nutrition & holistic health.

Well, you should try avoiding dairy completely for a bit to see if it helps. And you should try avoiding wheat and gluten containing grains for a bit to determine if you have the most common food intolerances. Other things to try avoiding are egg whites, soy, peanuts, true nuts, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers), citrus except lemon.

You do not need dairy for calcium. There's calcium in many foods, broccoli, nuts greens, for example. People also wouldn't need so much if they didn't have diets that deplete calcium and are lacking in the nutrients needed to utilize calcium like magnesium and vitamin D. However, if you want, try plain yogurt or kefir with live cultures which has much more calcium than milk, is more digestible and you are less likely to be intolerant to it and the live probiotics are important for digestion.

Anyway, a good acne diet is one that is low on sugars and refined carbohydrates (breads, cake, cereals except things like non-instant oatmeal or other grain), low in hydrogenated and trans fats (margarine, crisco, fried foods unless fried in a high heat stable oil like coconut, which is rare). This means cutting out most commercial baked goods.

Instead, eat more real, nutrient dense whole foods such as veggies, legumes like lentils, garbonzos, kidney beans, fruits, fish, eggs, meats, some grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats. Drink teas and water.

If you are not familiar with it, you should check out a Glycemic index of common foods. You should not have meals, snacks and drinks consisting of high GI foods alone. Combine them with low GI foods, fats, oils and fiber which lowers the glycemic load. It's the impact of the meal that matters, not each food in it.

See the food and recipe thread for ideas.

And this thread for how diet and lifestyle effect acne. It contains links to tons more informative discussions.

lots of veggies

fruit

some nuts

lean protein ( good for hair)

some whole grains

and try to eat yogurt for dairy

That's still not what I'm looking for.

There's information about whats good for your skin and whats not sure but what I'm looking for is a solid diet that i can strictly go by.

For example:

Morning:

- Eat 2 apples (this is good beacause ...)

- Drink 2 glasses of water (water helps ... blahblahblah)

- etc.

Evening:

- etc.

You get the gist of it lol...

If someone could make a list for me or direct me to something like my example that would be great.

So ummm to help you diet these are some of the foods/ snaks i reccomend, and im sure these are healthy for the skin because i have done my research.

SO THESE ARE THE FOODS THTAT I THINK WOULD HELP YOUR SKIN OUT TO AND KEPP YOU HEALTHY:

BLUEBERRIES - VERY GOOD FOR THE SKIN GIVES IT EVEN TONE AND A NICE GLOW:)

BLACKBERRIES

STRAWBERRIES

BEANS

PEACANS

THESE FOODS CAN EASILY BE MADE INTO A FRUIT SALAD AS A NICE LUNCH:)

ALS IF YOUR LOOKING TOWARDS LIKE A MEAL WISE TUNA, TURKEY, SALMON (FISH), AND BROCCOLI. DONT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR VIATAMINS VERY IMPORTANT FOR HEALTHY SKIN.

ALSO I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT EVEN BOTTLED WATER AS WELL AS REGULAR WATER HAVE ALL THESE TOXINS IN THEM. SO WHEN YOU THINKING THE 10 GLASSES OF WATER TO HELP YOU ACNE IS MAKING IT BETTER IT IS NOT. THATS WHY YOU HEAR KIDS AND ADULTS SAYING "WATER DID NOT HELP AT ALL" ITS BECAUSE OF ALL THESE JUNK IN CHEMICLAS IN THE WATER. THAT WHY ITS IMPORTANT TO FILTER OR BUY "DISTILLED" WATER VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU TRYING TO RID YOUR ACNE. EVEN WHEN YOU WASH YOUR FACE AND YOU PUT THAT TAP WATER ON YOUR FACE YOU COULD BE MAKING YOU FACE WORSE. AND ANOTHER GOOD THING IS TO BUY A SHOWER FILTER. I HOPE THIS HELPED EVERYONE WHO NEEDED THIS INFO.

BYE :)