Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xmashax

Accutane and back pain~help!

My derm put me on accutane since nothing else helped my acne. I've been taking 40mg a day, and on week three now. Everything was going fine, I was getting the usual side effects of accutane during the first two weeks: dry lips, dry skin, feeling thirsty etc.

However, my third week right now is horrifying. The left side of my lower back is killing me. I have spasms and throbbing pain in this area, and it's in the muscle. It's hard to walk, sit down, and especially lye down. I can't even sleep since most of the painful spasms occur while I'm lying down. I'm turning into a vegetable, it's a great task to move my body for more than 3 minutes.

I was wondering, has anyone felt muscular pain in their lower back while on accutane? and did it go away? I'm freaking out because it's really painful, to the point that It hurts to touch that area of my body.

I'm seeing my derm in a few days, meanwhile I wanted to see what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

I have felt pain in my lower back on my right side. Only time it happened, lasted about 4 minutes. Of course, I've only been taking Tane for a couple days so far.

lower back pain is actually pretty common while on accutane. it lasted for me for the first few months and i would only feel it when i would lay down to sleep or bend down to pick something up. It gradually went away, but was no where near as intense as what you are describing. you should talk to your doctor.

I am only nine or so days in and yes, my back is painful. Then again, I used to have serious back problems (sciatic pain and herniated discs), but that pain has gotten much better in time. I would definitely bring it up to your derma, but if it's that serious, you may have to choose between clear skin or a pain-free back. Good luck, and hopefully this is temporary!

I'm on my sixth day on Accutane (30mg/day). Went for a rather long jog yesterday night and I experienced some pain in the lower back once in a while (lasted for several minutes). I've been jogging long distances for quite some time and I never felt that before, so I am very much positive it's due to Accutane. Guess I'll have to cut down on exercise. My left ankle and right knee still hurts.

I've had all sorts of aches and pains while on accutane. I just sucked it up. Almost done with me course.

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions!

My back pain is not so bad today as it was the last couple of days. The only thing that helped was taking advil, and I'm not even sure if you're suppose to take that with tane, are you?

It seems that you guys also experienced back pain with tane, which is a common side effect as you guys mentioned. However, my back pain is so horrible, and was consistently hurting all day and night, that I was about to throw my tane package in the garbage, but I didn't. The pain in my back that I felt was really something. Ever experience those leg cramps in the middle of the night? Ya, that's what I felt in my lower back throughout the entire day. I'm good at sucking up pain, but this time it was very difficult to do.

If this back pain get's worse or doesn't go away, I think I'm going to stop taking tane. I rather have bad skin compared to walking around like a 90 year old while being in my early 20's.

I'm visiting my doctor today as one of you suggested, I will post what they say when I come back.

Thanks guys, wish me luck! :angel:

If this back pain get's worse or doesn't go away, I think I'm going to stop taking tane. I rather have bad skin compared to walking around like a 90 year old while being in my early 20's.

Try a lower dose first. Ask for 10mg and see how that goes for you.

im playin baseball while on tane and its possibly the hardest thing to do. I dont tell ppl im on accutane n if i did they woulndt believe me. ppl think im making up excuses when i say my back hurts. but its really hard to swing the bat

and ya moving for like 5 minutes is tough.

I finally went to my derm today. Meanwhile my painful back spasms have moved across the top have of my back, left hip and stomach.

My derm told me lay off on accutane for two weeks so the pains go away, and start again after that by taking one pill every two days (40mg) instead of one pill a day of 40mg- as I've been doing, and then we'll take it from there.

Thuglife- I feel for you, I know how it's like to have this type of pain, do visit your derm and let him/her know, mabe they can do something for you so you can start feeling normal again. Take it easy.

I've also got some back pain but from your descriptions, mine doesn't seem as bad. I don't know if you're already taking them but I've heard fish oil tablets can supposedly help? Good luck hope things get better!

I've also got some back pain but from your descriptions, mine doesn't seem as bad. I don't know if you're already taking them but I've heard fish oil tablets can supposedly help? Good luck hope things get better!

I'm off accutane now for two week so the pains can go away. I'm already starting to see a difference in my back, I'm not getting painful spasms that last all day anymore. However, I developed a horrible fever. I guess my body got used to the drug, and now that I'm off it, my body reacted a different way.

Yes, fish oils do help, but I can't find any that do not contain vitamin A. I'll have to make more trips to the health food stores in my city to find some.

Thanks for the well wishes! Hope you feel better too. :)

40mg a day, back and neck pain. Now on the end of week 5 its started to be less painful though. I work out a lot though, that helps. Doing any thing that stresses the back like driving, running, walking all day long etc. makes it worse ofc.

please don't freak out! it's perfectly normal what you are going through. everybody gets it. i got the back pain on both of my tane treatments, once last year and once this year. it will phase away. it takes time and attention. ask your doctor if you can take Tylenol or an aspirin while on tane.

in the meantime, do RICE.

Rest. Lay off of your back for awhile. try not to strain it and move it as minimally as possible.

Ice. Make sure to ice the painful area for no longer than 20 minutes at a time.

Compress. The back pain from tane doesn't really relate to this, but go ahead and wrap your back tightly if you feel the need to.

Elevate. Your back is always elevated, so don't worry about this step.

good luck.

I've been on accutane 40mg 2x daily for about 3 and 1/2 weeks. I too am experiencing major lower back pain. It's the weekend so I haven't been able to call my derm. I haven't had much time to research, but I have read some message boards on other sites and some people said to drink more water. A lot more water. They were saying it was something to do with dehydration and your kidneys. Like I said, I don't know if this is true or if it really works, it's just a suggestion until Monday when the derm gets back in!

Anyway,

Good luck on accutane, hope the back gets to feeling better. :o)

I've been on accutane 40mg 2x daily for about 3 and 1/2 weeks. I too am experiencing major lower back pain. It's the weekend so I haven't been able to call my derm. I haven't had much time to research, but I have read some message boards on other sites and some people said to drink more water. A lot more water. They were saying it was something to do with dehydration and your kidneys. Like I said, I don't know if this is true or if it really works, it's just a suggestion until Monday when the derm gets back in!

Anyway,

Good luck on accutane, hope the back gets to feeling better. :o)

having same problems. started tane a month ago. i went to the doc about two weeks ago for tests and they said i'm dehydrated and need to drink more water, and before my back was KILLING me. started drinking more water lately and its helping, still have pain but not nearly as bad as it was before where it'd hurt to try to lay down

Seems you guys have been going through the same thing. Did your back hurt every second of the day with muscle spasms? Just wondering because I thought I was the only one. It kills to sit, walk and especially lye down.

My lower back pain has moved into my hip and side and into my stomach, it hurts really bad. This is caused some bowl problems for me. I'm afraid that these side effects may become permanent, do you think it will?

I noticed great results already with accutane, my skin has never looked better. However, I really wonder what this drug is doing to your body, not only does it conquer your acne, it seems to also slowly conquer your muscles, bowel and organs. I wonder if people had permanent damage from this drug.

Today I'm feeling a tiny bit better from my fever. I got really really sick recently from accutane. My derm took me off it for two weeks, I don't even know if I want to go back on it, I'm afraid that I'll damage my body. What do you guys think?

Ane.org is really great. I'm quite worried about my lower back's pain (left side) until I read this thread :-) Thank you, guys. On the bright side, this pain will help prevent me from begging my derma to increase the dose, which will save my pocket of course.

@xmasshax: I feel for you. I believe that Accutane impacts differently on each individual. Somehow one's biological structure is not born to cope with side effects of Accutane while others are perfectly okay with them. In my case, it's just a slight back pain and I definitely can handle it with the help from my daily Yoga practice. In yours, it looks like your body's suffering from quite Accutane negative experiences. Those words might not be of medical help but at least I hope you feel better to know there's some people out there in exactly your situation and they have survived successfully :-)