Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadbeat007

Coloring hair

Hi guys, I'm considering coloring my hair at home and was wondering if anyone here has done it before.

My natural hair color right now is a medium chestnut. I'm considering going a shade or so darker with a mahogany brown. My eyebrows are black, so I wouldn't want anything unnaturally light, nor anything very red. Sort of like this: http://www.herbatint.co.uk/img/swatches/MA...NDE%20%207M.jpg

Is this something I can do relatively easily? Are there any hair color brands to look for/avoid? Thanks!

Coloring your hair at home is super easy. I've been doing it since I was fifteen. It's a good idea to stick close to your natural hair color, especially since this is your first time. : )

I'm a Feria girl, myself. I love their color selection, and the conditioners that come with the kit are pretty nice. Just follow the directions, and make sure to really saturate your hair with dye so that you don't miss any. And since you're using a dark dye, apply a bit of Vaseline around your hairline, or you'll end up dying your skin (it comes off after a day or so, but it still sucks).

Feria #40 (Espresso) or #45 (French Roast) would look nice, I think.

post-77161-1245802042_thumb.jpg

Espresso

post-77161-1245802049_thumb.jpg

French Roast

post-77161-1245802042_thumb.jpg

post-77161-1245802049_thumb.jpg

I would go with a semi-permanent dye because they fade all over in about 28 washes (instead of having to grow it out or throwing more permanent color on). If it's your first time this can be a good way to ease into permanent dye. As someone who plays around with their hair a lot, I wouldn't recommend permanent dyes unless you want a drastic change, though. Since you seem to be staying within two shades of your hair a semi-permanent would work well, especially since you're going darker :D

Thanks for the replies guys! I really like the idea of a semi-permanent. I found some Feria shades that I really like, but that brand is permanent, right? Does anyone know of any semi-permanent brands with a decent color selection? I googled it but didn't come up with much. :/

I would say to not over dye your hair. I have dyed my hair since I was 14 and wish I have never done it, once you dye your it will never turn back to the way your natural hair looked. My natural hair was a light brown red and now is dark brown. I also lost alot of hair. I stop dying my hair two years ago!!!

I'm not absolutely certain but I think semi-permanent is pretty safe. Mine always feels softer and looks shinier after I dye it with semi-perm. The only one I've come across is Natural Instincts, which has a lot of colors to choose from