Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rebeltron

Someone Please Help Me Understand! =(

Not too long ago I laughed at my friend for his severe acne. I had mild acne and in as little as a month I started breaking out! I belive in karma so I feel bad now. Or am I just breaking out 'cuz I stopped smoking weed & cigarettes?...

I started using the regimen and I thought it would work but I'm not sure If I'm doing it right.

I use a clean & clear foam facial cleanser to begin with then I use clean & clear continous control.

It has 10% benzoyl peroxide, once my face has dried I use nivea for men that says "Cools & moisturizes" I can't use lotion 'cuz my face gets really oily.

Am I doing this right? Any advice? Should I just keep trying 'til the 4th week? Ugh help! I think it's getting worse, not sure.

You should be using a gentle moisturizer, a 2.5% BP (5% maximum), and a gentle moisturizer.

Look here for a list of recommended products.

From the Biggest Mistakes page:

Not using the right products for the job: the Regimen does not work with 10% bp, moisturizers that contain comedogenic oils, exfoliating cleansers that can irritate, or irritating shavers. For best results use the recommended products.

I'm not sure if there is a correlation between smoking and acne but I really don't think that you should test this out ( i.e don't start smoking again =p )

And no you're not doing it right. You should be using things that have 2.5% not 10. It's way to irritating. And the Nivea for men may (may, I don't know for sure) me comedogenic which would definitely make your acne worse. If you don't want to use Dan's products (which will work as he describes them if you use them exactly) you can go to a store and buy the alternatives. And then follow the regimen exactly.

Good luck, and hope I helped! =)

I'm not sure if there is a correlation between smoking and acne but I really don't think that you should test this out ( i.e don't start smoking again =p )

And no you're not doing it right. You should be using things that have 2.5% not 10. It's way to irritating. And the Nivea for men may (may, I don't know for sure) me comedogenic which would definitely make your acne worse. If you don't want to use Dan's products (which will work as he describes them if you use them exactly) you can go to a store and buy the alternatives. And then follow the regimen exactly.

I found out that the Nivea stuff WAS making my acne worser. it would always sting when I applied it so I knew something was up.

For now I'll stick with 10% but use less. I can't afford to buy all the stuff so I'm going to stick with the clean & clear products.

I also use nivea body it's a lotion with sea minerals and vitamin E is it okie to use that as a moisturizer? I'll risk getting an oily face :whistle:

10% BP is too harsh. There's a reason that Dan states several times on this site not to use it: it doesn't work. It's too irritating and drying, which, in the end, can actually aggravate and increase breakouts.

From the FAQs:

Q: I can't get a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Can I use a higher concentration?

A: 2.5% is best. However, anything up to 5% should most likely be fine, albeit more drying and no more effective. Avoid 10% preparations which will over dry. One exception when dealing with pimples on the back. The skin in this area is tough and may withstand 10% nicely. If you can find a 10% much cheaper, you may want to try it on the back. It will not be more effective than a 2.5% solution, but may save you money.

So why not simply use less of a 10% solution? Through trial and error I have found this does not work. I do not know exactly why using more of a 2.5% solution works better. My guess would be that when you use more of the product, there is more available to be absorbed into the skin.

If you expect The Regimen to work, you have to do it properly. You can't expect results if you're not using the right products.

If you're concerned about finding the right products for The Regimen, you can either order one of Dan's Starter Kits or check out this page with recommended products.

I found out that the Nivea stuff WAS making my acne worser. it would always sting when I applied it so I knew something was up.

For now I'll stick with 10% but use less. I can't afford to buy all the stuff so I'm going to stick with the clean & clear products.

I also use nivea body it's a lotion with sea minerals and vitamin E is it okie to use that as a moisturizer? I'll risk getting an oily face :whistle:

Glad to know that I helped on the Nivea subject! Like c'est la vigne/Dan says, I would really try to stay away from 10%. Maybe get the 5% if that's any cheaper. But if you can' then yeah, use less of it and probably not as frequently. And about the body lotion, I don't know if it would be good for the face because body lotion tends to be thicker. Also sea minerals may be abrasive or irritating in itself. Haha sorry to shoot down all your choices. Try to find something that says it's light enough for the face or look around the board and see what others are using. I think I've heard Cetaphil mentioned a few times. But try it at first and see if your face gets more irritated.

I've struggled with my complexion since 13 and nothing has worked, besides dans products and instructions. Let a family member know how much your skin bothers you and I'm sure someone will either loan you money for the starter kit or buy it outright for you. I'm someone who's always looking for a cheaper/easier/shorter way out and it's just not worth it when it comes to my face i just bought the starter kit and I"m IMMENSELY hapy with the results.