Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShyGuyNJ

Aloe Vera and Benzoyl Peroxide

Can I use Aloe Vera after I use Benzoyl Peroxide on my face at night to help get rid of the redness on my face (not just from the BP, but from sun damage)?

Your skin looks great in the pictures you posted and you look like a good looking Italian boy from NJ. You might not be Italian, but take that as a compliment, since I have a thing for Italian boys - I married a good looking Italian boy from Staten Island.

Obviously you feel differently and I doubt anyone can convince you otherwise.

Any redness and irritation you have is probably from your regimen and lack of sunscreen. I suggest you try the following for 30 days:

1. Stop applying the BP. It could be that the BP is irritating you to the point it is causing breakouts.

2. Go to a drugstore and buy: a gentle cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen. Look for products that say they are fragrance free, non-comedogenic and gentle. The sunscreen should be 30 spf or greater. I like Cerave products and La Roche Posay Anthelios sunscreen and these are available at most of the CVS' in the tri-state area.

Apply the sunscreen in the morning and a couple a times through out the day. Use the moisturizer in the evening. If you must use BP, then spot treat the individual pimples only.

If this doesn't stop the redness or if the acne gets worse - I suggest you see a derm. There are many prescription products for acne out there. But, please try this for 30 days before you jump to any conclusions about your skin, like thinking you have rosacea.

Thanks for the help. I have neglected to use sunblock at most times and I'm outside in the sun a lot. I'm decided to stop using BP for a week or two and use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and Aloe Vera to see how well that works (and hopefully keeps the acne at bay). Still deciding on whether to use a SPF 30 or SPF 50 sunblock, cause I'm both inside and outside all day.

Someone thinks I'm Italian? That's new. Good to know some people may think that...

Can I use Aloe Vera after I use Benzoyl Peroxide on my face at night to help get rid of the redness on my face (not just from the BP, but from sun damage)?

its really defeating the purpose of moisturizing well on BP..

BP stays inside your skin and constantly is irritating and drying out your skin 24 hours a day (unless you wash it out/sweat it out of your skin), so adding moisturizer is like putting a bucket of water on a conflagration. aloe vera is really good at healing irritation and redness, i strongly recommend it but remember BP is about the harshest thing you can put on your skin.