Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JS7888

Should I leave it alone?

Im 20 yrs old. I havent really had problems with acne before. I recently had a bad breakout of about 3 papules that ruined my face for about a month. I felt really depressed and stayed in the house that whole month. After that I went to the doctor because all I could think about was what if this happens again?. Before I would usually get one bad pimple that I could deal with but I drive myself crazy everyday thinking that its going to happen again. I just started taking birth control 3 weeks ago to see if it was hormonal acne. Im also using clindamycin topical gel. Im really scared now after reading that clindamycin could hurt me in the long term with worse acne. I've been using it for around 3 weeks and now I want to stop because I'd rather deal with a little acne than a lot later on that is resistant to treatment. Do you think I should stop it and just use the birth control and BP face wash to see if thats all i need? Please help someone!!!! Anyone with advice or info is greatly appreciated!

You could try BP, it doesn't work for everyone, and is only good for you if you have quite oily skin as it drys it out ALOT.

You could stop taking the birth control pill if you want, but I don't think it would make much difference.

I think the main problem was that you obviously had a random breakout, then got depressed and stressed about it, which in term made it worse as you're worrying about it - making yourself stressed. So calm down about it and don't let it get you down, stressing about it makes it seem so much worse.

If chemical products aren't working for you, you could just try some very mild cleansers and moisturizers. Or if you really are at a last resort you can ask your Dr for some Antibiotics, but they may take up to 6 months to show any effect and you have to have patience, but it sounds like you don't have a big enough problem to warrant antibiotics.

Lastly, everything has to get worse before it gets better, just the way things work i'm afraid! Just be patient, relax, and enjoy the summer :)

Thank you for your advice. You're right I'm probably making myself stress out way too much about it that its actually causing me to breakout. I'll try to relax more but its still very hard. I'm contstantly looking in the mirror for any type of flaw or bump. I even tried dieting. I only drink water(no juice or soda), I dont eat dairy anymore, and I only eat about 1 meal a day. I think I've lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks. It kinda sucks because I always used to eat whatever I wanted and wasnt so stressed about everything. I feel like my life is passing me by. =(

Don't starve yourself for acne.

Also try Paula's Choice products. I've been pitching them a lot because they absolutely saved my skin.

A dermatologist once prescribed me clindamycin too (along with three other medications), but it didn't work. Then I tried Paula's Choice and was 50% clear within 3 days.

Don't starve yourself for acne.

Also try Paula's Choice products. I've been pitching them a lot because they absolutely saved my skin.

A dermatologist once prescribed me clindamycin too (along with three other medications), but it didn't work. Then I tried Paula's Choice and was 50% clear within 3 days.

JS7888:

My skin sounds so much like yours. I had very clear skin up until I was 21, and for a period of 6 monthes, I started to get this painful zits, mostly on my chin at first, but it got worse and I got more all over my face in different area =[..

I started using a BHA solution, it was actually an alcohol based toner from Clean and Clear with 2% BHA. It cleared me up a LOT - like a huge improvement, but not anywhere near what my skin used to be. I just recently ordered Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid (I read literally every review, and so many people seem to love the liquid as opposed to the cream and gel that she also sells).

I didn't realize it but my skin was really red while I was using the alcohol based toner, but it was significantly clearer, so I didn't really mind because I'd rather have a red face than zits. Anyways, after I started using the PC, the next morning my skin was less red, and every day that goes by, my skin gets less and less red and it has less frequent breakouts, my red marks are fading quicker (maybe I was constantly drying them out with the alcohol?), and my tone is evening.

I also started using the AHA+ from acne.org 3 days ago to try and fade my old red marks, and to "cure" my husband's weird arm bumps!

I think you would benefit from the Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid. You can order samples to just try it out (what I did). Sites like makeupalley.com or this site under product reviews also have ratings for this product.

I'm suggesting something milder than antibiotics, and perscription cream, because you seem to be going through what I went through, and this has what's been working for me. =]