Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

:boohoo: Sooo heres the story. I am currently 15 years old. I had acne since i was 13, but nothing severe at all. The occasional pimple here and there, you know puberty and what not. Well when i turned 14, i started developing an obsession with my acne. Like i dont know why but i think it broke out worse then usual one day (which wasnt anything severe, just maybe 5 pimples or something) and iwas picking at them and stuff.

This is when trouble began. I started doing EVERYTHING that you aren't supposed to do to your face because i was un educated about all of this. I applied alcohol and i rubbed at my face and i over dried it and i picked at my pimples and pretty much you name it ive done it. I think ive permanently damaged my face. And i know this because i have almost no acne anywhere except in the areas where i messed with it, which is my two cheeks lol. I have moderate to severe acne i guess...i dont know its pretty bad and noticable to the average person. I currently take two tetracycline anti biotics every night and i apply benzoyl peroxide 5% face wash every morning and before i go to bed.

What do you guys reccomend? Should i just completely stop all of this for a month or so and see if it helps? Should i just take the anti biotics? Should i just apply the face wash? I don't pick at my face and i dont think i over dry it anymore. But i dont even know man i just know i used to have a normal face and now its all red with bumps and stuff.

From what I have read on here antibiotics should not be used long-term, it is a short-term solution.

I was taking minocycline and I recently tapered off my dose until I no longer took them. My skin is doing fine right now.

The antibiotics should be used if your acne is extremely inflamed, the antibiotics will get rid of the inflammation. You should be using a topical, so that once you are off the antibiotics the topical will serve as maintenance.

Here's my advice.

I think your main problem is that you are drying out your face too much and not using gentle products on your skin, Benyzol Peroxide obvisouly is too harsh for you... So my advice? Don't use the Benyzol Peroxide. It's horrible stuff and in most cases does more harm than good. It dries out your face more than enough.

Use a very gentle cleanser, preferably a natural one, with no harsh chemicals, and then a similar moisturizer with no harsh chemicals.

Try washing your face once a day, just at night... Then just splash with some cool water in the morning, as there is no need to really wash your face after you've slept at night (it doesn't get dirty, and gives your face a chance to replenish itself, as it does a good job at doing that on it's own).

Stay with the antibiotics, but unless you've been prescribed to take them at night - i'de actually take them in the morning, 1 hour before food, and with plenty of water as it gives them a much better chance to work into your system if you are moving around than when you are asleep, as your system kind of shuts down partially when you're asleep.

Picking at spots is bad, and even I do it - nearly all the time lol - but you should really REALLY try not to pick them. Unless they are absolutely just begging to be picked. Also sometimes apparently popping spots can speed up the healing process.

Here are some things you might want to also try, just some low cost stuff that might work.

• Drinking a table spoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water a day.
  • Taking ibuprofen and aspirin in the morning to reduce the swelling.
  • Drinking alot more water, and substituting sodas with water (yes it's not proven that sodas CAUSE acne, but it does make it worse for some people, water hydrates your skin and your brain and helps alot more than the acids in soda).
  • Maybe you could try not drinking milk or staying away from dairy products?

Just a few ideas of advice here, I don't think you have ruined your face, there is always hope. You're only 15 and still very young and amidst the stages of puberty, so you'll more than likely grow out of it by the time you finish your teens.

I really hope this helps! Hang in there!

EDIT: Oh and by the way, I was on antibiotics for about 6 months and they cleared my acne up 99%. Then 2 months later after I stopped them it came back, not as bad as before but it's definately back - I started them again last week. So yes, antibiotics are "apparently" short term problem fixers, but hopefully we will both just grow out of this eventually.