Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Girls, I wanted to start this post so from our experiences with makeup (and we have had lots lol) we could recommend to each other our favorite makeup product or tip to others or list a product or tip that you have used that was horrible!

Mine would be:

Best makeup product - Revlon Colorstay Eye Liner (it lasts SO long, I work in a long-term care facility as a PSW for a summer job and it doesn't budge ever and goes on nice and smooth!)

Worse makeup product - Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation (that sh*t is nasty! Makes you orange and flakey and overall very unattractive)

Best makeup tip - When putting black eyeliner on your top lid only bring it about on third of the way in from the outer lash and blend it for a natural look that make you look like you have super sexy thick lashes like Gisele! haha

Worst makeup tip - My friend recommended Covergirl Trublend foundation and it make be break out SO bad

Best makeup product - Benefit F.Y. Eye primer. This stuff is amazing for keeping your eye shadow from creasing. Actually, it's the only thing I have found that works.

Worse makeup product - Anything with natural ingredients besides tea tree oil in it makes me break out. I need man made ingredients to prevent breakouts.

Best makeup tip - Be sure to moisturize well before applying foundation. Putting moisturizer on my cysts and blemishes doesn't make it worse(for me at least) and it keeps it from looking flaky.

Worst makeup tip -Milk of magnesia as a primer. Wow, my skin looked blotchy as hell. I tried several methods and this just doesn't work well. Sure, I didn't look greasy but man I think the blotchy dryness made my makeup look worse. It does work well as a 30 minute mask though.

Best makeup product - Studio Tools Dual-Fiber brush. Does that count? It's $2 at Target(some sell them for $7 though...), and works like a charm. I use it for powder, blush, and foundation, and it gives me an airbrushed look. If that doesn't count, then I'd have to go with EDM blushes. I'm in love.

Worst makeup product - BareMinerals. Heck, EVERYTHING in the BareEscentuals line is horrible. The makeup is chock full of Bismuth, which most women are allergic to. They claim it's natural, but most bismuth is a bi-product of lead and copper production. Ick! The brushes are really scratchy. I have seven (most from a kit), and five are scratchy. I hate using them. They shed and smell funny. Worst brushes ever.

Best makeup tip - Apply mineral foundation with a foptic (duo fiber) brush for a dewey and airbrushed look. Afterwards, spritz the brush and stipple it onto the face for better melding, and to get rid of any powderyness.

Worst makeup tip - I don't think I have one, yet.

MadeUpMelly - I totally agree with the moisturizer before foundation thing! If I don't put it on my skin gets crackly (is that a word?) and gross

LaLaaLove - I've never tried BareMinerals but I havent heard nice things about it... I had no idea about the bismuth...definitely avoiding it from now on!!

Best makeup product - Studio Tools Dual-Fiber brush. Does that count? It's $2 at Target(some sell them for $7 though...), and works like a charm. I use it for powder, blush, and foundation, and it gives me an airbrushed look. If that doesn't count, then I'd have to go with EDM blushes. I'm in love.

Worst makeup product - BareMinerals. Heck, EVERYTHING in the BareEscentuals line is horrible. The makeup is chock full of Bismuth, which most women are allergic to. They claim it's natural, but most bismuth is a bi-product of lead and copper production. Ick! The brushes are really scratchy. I have seven (most from a kit), and five are scratchy. I hate using them. They shed and smell funny. Worst brushes ever.

Best makeup tip - Apply mineral foundation with a foptic (duo fiber) brush for a dewey and airbrushed look. Afterwards, spritz the brush and stipple it onto the face for better melding, and to get rid of any powderyness.

Worst makeup tip - I don't think I have one, yet.

I've been using a skunk brush (foptic?) to apply my mineral makeup... Since my skin has cleared up more and my red marks are less obvious, this is an awesome way to get the airbrushed skin look... My skin looks flawless with this brush. I've been looking for a mini skunk brush Mac dupe because I don't have the money to buy the actual Mac one! I want to use the mini skunk brush for blush like julieg713 on youtube (if anyone even knows who that is..?).

Fun post! Let's see...

Best Makeup Product - Neutrogena Nourishing Eye Liner (doesn't tug your skin and lasts all day! But I'll take sammie_22's suggestion and try the Revlon Colorstay Eye Liner since I've heard good things about it too). Oh, and Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and powder. Great coverage!!

Worst Makeup Product - Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. My eyeshadow still creases when I use it :(

Best Makeup Tip - Instead of using an eyeshadow primer, just dust a little powder foundation on TOP of your eyeshadow to make it last all day!

Worst Makeup Tip - Using a colored mascara like green or purple. Yikes!!

Best Makeup product: I actually have a couple of products that I really like but if I had to choose, I choose MAC paintpot in soft ochre. I use it as an eye primer and it makes eyeshadows vibrant and prevent them from fading or creasing the entire day. It also helps keep eyeliner in place.

Worse makeup product: MAC lipglosses. Absolutely hate them. I have like 2 or 3 lipglasses and 1 dazzleglass. OMG they are the most sticky lipglosses I have ever use and they make my lips stick together and feel uncomfortable. Dazzleglasses are worse, they are thick, goopy and even stickier and for the price, they suck.

Best Makeup tip: I learnt this from Michelle Phan on youtube: Use a business card/namecard and place them over your eyelid near lashline or eyelashes, slightly pull back your lid to so that you can fully see the eyelashes from the roots. Makes it easier for you to apply your mascara and don't have to worry about the mascara ruining your eyeshadow.

Worse Makeup tip: None yet.

Angel07 - I definately recommend the Revlon Colorstay its wonderful! I shower at night and something i don't do a very good job washing it off on purpose so there is just a smudge of color along the lashline and I just throw on mascara for a supernatural look thats easy!

Maddy001 - That business card thing is so cool! I've never heard of it, I'm gunna try that today! Thanks for the tip girl:)

@Sammie_88:

I haven't tried their lipglosses or eye shadows, but I got a free sample of their Buxom Lash mascara at Sephora. While it gave me wonderfully thick and long lashes, it took a long time to dry and I got really raccoon eyes. If you're looking to try the brand, the mascara's probably the only decent product, assuming you don't have oily skin. Other than that though, I probably won't be purchasing from the brand again.

@Maddy001:

I learned the same trick off of her too, it's great! Makes tightlining a breeze :)

Best Makeup Product: L'oreal Paris's Carbon Black Le Kohl Eye Pencil! It has a nice thick black color. The only thing wrong with it is that you have to clean out the corners of your eyes a lot, because a grey disgusting goo builds up after time.

Worst Makeup Product: Maybelline New York's Colossal Volum' Express. This stuff clumps, drys too quickly to apply another coat if wanted, and after you apply the mascara there's a black line on the top of your eyelid that is almost impossible to get off!

Best Makeup Tip: ALWAYS...apply moisturizer before putting on your makeup! For me, if I don't it doesn't cover up my acne... or even my freckles! It also makes my skin look flakey and overall just unattractive. I would also reccommend putting a liquid makeup on first, after the liquid has dried, in the same color put a powder on top, then on top of that powder put a slightly darker color around your jaw bone, chin, and cheek bones to avoid having fatty face. :)

Worst Makeup Tip: Use lip-liner, it makes your lips look fuller....WRONG. 'Nuff said.

FUN!

Best Makeup Product - Maybelline Full 'n' Soft Mascara..this is my HG masacara...i get long, full lashes that look soft and natural...alas, Full & Soft ;)

Worst Makeup Product - any Bare Minerals foundation.....Bismuth Oxycholoride..nuff said :snooty:

Best Makeup Tip - when applying your mascara, for added volume, wiggle the wand back and forth across the base of ur lashes then sweep upward. do this technique twice on each eye then, without dipping ur wand back into the mascara tube, sweep the tips of ur lashes so u can get the length you seek.

Worst Makeup Tip - none yet......

Best Product: Tarte Rise and Shine Double ended lip stain - love the stain, last all day, doesn't dry me out, stands up to layers of balm. The gloss part is ick, but I dislike gloss.

Best Tip: Learn to line your inner, UPPER eyelid - makes your lashes look ridiculously thick and lush

Worst product: idk... so many crappy products, lol

Worst tip: I don't have one here either =\

Gonna try: the business card trick, cool :D

Updated:

Best Product: The "skunk" brush (187/186 - Mac) or Quo makes a good dupe. Use the big one to apply your mineral makeup - it gives a very even and non-cakey layer on foundation that is layerable. I suggest this for those with dryer skin who like to use mineral makeup but don't like that it creates flakes or accentuates the dryness. Use the mini skunk brush to apply blush for a softer, more airbrushed cheek color.

Best Tip: Apply a white shimmery eye shadow with the tip of the applicator sponge to the inner corners of your eyes. If you looked tired that morning, your eyes will instantly look wider and more awake. I use this trick a LOT!

Worst product: Revlon colorstay concealers... They didn't even cover up a slightly red flat spot on my face... I've tried a TON of concealers and was happy with most of them, but this one didn't cut it at ALL!

Worst tip: To concealer your undereye circles with a shade/few shades lighter than your foundation. If you feel that you need a little bit lighter, mix a tiny bit of a shade of lighter mineral foundation or concealer (or liquid) with your actual foundation to give a slightly ligher tint if you have very dark circles.

Gonna try: Maybelline Full N Soft Mascara, and l'oreal lineur instense in black mica!

I've never been able to find Full N Soft in Canada -- Anyone know where I can find it? Also, does QUO make a mini skunk brush? I'm using my StudioTools foptic for EVERYTHING, and it'd be nice to have another :o

Best Makeup Product: MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation. I love this stuff! It doesn't make me break out, it goes on so smoothly and flawlessly, and it comes in a lovely pale shade.

Worst Makeup Product: Fresh foundation, powder, and concealer. It looked horrible, it broke me out horribly, it was horribly expensive.

Best Makeup tip: It's simple, but the best tip is to moisturize well before putting face makeup on. It makes everything look better.

Worst makeup tip: I can't think of one.

Best Tip: Learn to line your inner, UPPER eyelid - makes your lashes look ridiculously thick and lush

i'm going to try this today! i've seen it done before on TV and it does make the lashes look really thick and lush. is it hard to do?

i'm going to try this today! i've seen it done before on TV and it does make the lashes look really thick and lush. is it hard to do?

Not at all, takes me maybe 45 seconds now. It just feels weird, but you get used to it :) I start at the exterior corner and go in.

I use zuzu luxe eyeliner, really creamy.

Best Product: Mac Powerpoint Eye Pencil - soft & smooth application, doesn't smudge, last forever. It's getting low though & MAC is far away from me, so maybe I will try the Revlon - hearing good things about it. Also Nivea lip balm - it's so soft

Best Tip: Eyelash curler can work wonders; lighter concealer/powder around your eyes & lids really brightens them up

Best Makeup Tip - when applying your mascara, for added volume, wiggle the wand back and forth across the base of ur lashes then sweep upward. do this technique twice on each eye then, without dipping ur wand back into the mascara tube, sweep the tips of ur lashes so u can get the length you seek.

That's how I do it. Apply a ton of mascara at the base only, then apply to tips only after all the excess gunk if the brush. Makes my lashes look so thick, long and natural. It's a compilation of tips from several makeup artists I've seen on TV.

Also, warm the tube before applying. This is especially helpful as it's starting to dry out. The person I got it from put it in a cup of warm water, but I usually put it in my pocket while doing other steps in my routine. I don't do it all the time though, as warming it probably hastens the growth of bacteria. But when I want to look my best...

Best Product - Tweezerman corner lash curler. You've probably seen makeup artists like Carminde use one. And I think it's been discontinued.

Tip: Apply some kind of highlighter powder or pencil in inner corners of eyes along nose to brighten them up. I put it on all kinds of shadows. Also, a little on the brow bone above the eye. And a little along the top of your upper lip is supposed to make them look plumper per Carmine. Can't say I've ever noticed it happening. But I do it as long as I have the brush and powder out.

Other Tip: Use lip liner pencils and apply all over lip. By far the best long lasting lip color. Apply gloss or balm on top.

Or dot on intensely colored lipstick, then rub in with a finger. Top with balm or whatever. This makes a long lasting lipstain and lets you use your red or whatever dramatic color for everyday. I love a nice berry red, but one that isn't too intense, too pink, too fuschia, can't be seen from the moon, etc., is hard to find. So it also lets you use the ones you bought that weren't quite right.