Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest invaderzim

Mixing Moisturizer and an SPF together?

Guest invaderzim

1. would the SPF be effective?

...perhaps not to the extent it originally was, but good protection with acceptable/minimal loss of SPF

2. does mixing products cause irritation?

...my main intention is to have SPF (say 40-50) with a moisturizer i know works. all SPFs i've tried make me flake and suck royally at applying (can't really be "gentle" / it's like rubbing on fkin clay)

anyone tried this? -if so w/what... i search but didn't see much

thanks

I have tried it and I think its a great way to protect your self from the sun and moisterize your face. I read it out of cosmopolitan to mix both or buy one that already has both mixed in. I suggest you use oil free products those are best.

I used avenno spf for the face sold at cvs for 15 and st ives collegen elastin, I also add a dab of snail extract. Works great for me.

Guest invaderzim

ummm.... cosmo? lol

...i just don't want the spf to become ineffective by mixing it with a moisturizer. thats the big concern, and i'd rather not find out the hard way

Guest invaderzim

i know this was awhile ago, but i just thought i'd let anyone who's interested know what i've been doing in regards to mixing an SPF with a moisturizer.

i've been doing this for awhile now and i'm very impressed. SPFs seem to apply like hair styling paste and they dry white, as well as (at least for me) actually dry out skin a bit.

what i've done is mix Neutrogena's SPF 70 (which i've previously hated) with Cetaphil's Daily Advanced Lotion.

btw, that moisturizer is great shit. it applies better than anything out there and doesn't flake like what i've had with Olay's Sensitive Skin (even w/Jojoba oil or better yet, vitamin e oil).

http://www.cetaphil.com/Products/DailyAdvanceLotion.aspx

so basically i just take about a nickel-size amount of the moisturizer and add in about a dime-sized dab of the SPF. now, since im mixing the two, it's understandable to say that the effectiveness of the SPF will likely go down a bit, but it is SPF 70 (i know.... they're all claiming to be like SPF 2000 these days), i still think this is a reasonable compromise and it'll still offer the protection of say an SPF30 (at least).

benefits are a better application, including an SPF when you're exposed to the sun, and moisturizing both in general, as well as any drying you may get from the SPF you mix.

so yea, im actually pretty impressed