Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JS7888

Using Topical Clindamycin Gel

I am a 20 yr old f. I havent really had a problem with acne until recently so I'm currently on Zovia BCP and am using 5% BP and top. Clindamycin gel 1% for approx. 2 1/2 weeks. I usually wash my face 3x a day with the BP because it seems to get really oily mid day. I also use the clindamycin in the morning and night (sometimes I reapply mid day if I wash my face). It seems to be helping and I just wanted to know how long I should continue to use it. I know that resistance could occur so I am worried that if I continue to use it that it would be as effective later on. I am also afraid to stop using it because I dont want to break out. My doctor hasnt really given me a specific time frame to use this so I was just wondering if I should stop using it after a month if my acne improves/clears. Any advice is helpful =) Thanks

My son uses clindamycin once a day in the morning with Bp wash, and Retin A Micro at night, he moisturizes after each wash.

I think using BP to wash your face 3 times a day is alot, maybe thats why your face is so oily, your skin is probably drying out to much and producing more oil, are you using moisturizer?

There is no time limit on topicals, if your acne does clear up I would reduce the Bp and Clindamycin to once a day and see how that goes, the goal is to use the least amount of chemicals on your skin and remain clear.

Yeah I know that using it three times a day isnt so good. In the beginning my face was getting really dry. However I think that my skin adjusted to it because its no where near being that dry. My face doesnt flake and doesnt feel tight anymore. I think the clindamycin kinda helps to moisturize it too. Whenever I leave the house I apply a small amount of clindamycin on problem areas, then I moisturize with cetaphil facial moisturizer with spf, and then apply my makeup. Otherwise I dont usually moisturize my face. I have noticed that since starting the birth control that my face seems to be less oily in the morning when I wake up. Hopefully its helping. I know there is no time limit to topicals but I dont want my acne to be harder to treat later on. How long has your son been using the clindamycin?

He has been using Clindamycin for 4 1/2 months, he is still on his first bottle and still has some left, he only puts on a thin layer.

Really? I was so scared that it was going to stop working after a month. Im already done with my first bottle and it's only been almost three weeks. I think I kinda overdue it when I start to feel bumps coming up. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it. I'm going to see a derm soon so hopefully they will help with something.

I think my sons secret weapon against acne is VEMMA.

Do a google search on it, also to a board search the members user name is 70204 thats how I found out about it, I emaled him the other day and he is still clear, just like my son.