Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KarmicKandy

Fraxel Damage Article

God, I am now so conflicted. I wanted to get fraxel or another laser to get rid of my nose and cin bumps, but now I'm so scared.

A lot of people have had fraxel here. Have any have bad results? I don't recall seeing any threads on it...

Seriously, if it weren't for the godawful and annoying bumps on my nose and chin, I would just get fillers and light peels. Forever. I've thought that before I read this stuff too. But these growths have to go...

I've heard of many stories of Fraxel. Some good, but most are bad. I don't think it does much for deeper scarring anyways, unless you are talking about Repair and not Restore.

Stories like this are very scary so you should think it through before you decide to do it also I believe the person who performs the procedure has to know what he\she is doing otherwise even the safest laser could go horrible wrong. Maybe before once decides to do it they may try to ask for a test patch first.

Also I just read that she'sbeen doing botox for 9years maybe that could also be a contributing factor

HEY ALL:)...OMG thats so terrible, as if suffering from acne and acne scar weren't enough...this poor women.what other choices do we have??it really suks...i suffered with acne for years and have the scarring to prove it.about 3 yrs ago i finally bit the bullet and went on Accutane...it worked wonders.but now im looking for something to help my scarring.my derm suggest fraxel he said its really my only option.now after seeing these pic im really scared!!!!

I took a look at this link and followed some more of the posts. Check these pics out:

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/d...reenheight=1050

My exact reaction to those photos was Holy Crap! How awful. I feel so bad for him. :( What the ell happened? Was he burnt by the laser or is it like that lady and it developed later?

Stories like this are very scary so you should think it through before you decide to do it also I believe the person who performs the procedure has to know what he\she is doing otherwise even the safest laser could go horrible wrong. Maybe before once decides to do it they may try to ask for a test patch first.

Also I just read that she'sbeen doing botox for 9years maybe that could also be a contributing factor

Botox could be a factor. A lot of the people said they had a really good "reputable" dr. and I believe them.

I am perhaps the biggest advocate of Fraxl Repair, but I believe everybody should be aware that for the rare few there can be complications. Cristine's case is probably the most famous on the net. http://www.realself.com/review/fraxel-laser-horrible

I know you are a big advocate. I've read your posts and it's made me really interested in it. But now I am so scared!

I looked at her story and it's so sad. She had no scarring and now she has scars. She is starting to look a lot better. I think she had IPL to fix it.

These companies that sell the machines are awful. They had complaints and still didn't disclose them? They should be heavily sanctioned. They are criminally negligent, IMO, because they are required to disclose bad results.

I've had my first ever Fraxel Restore on June 11th and so far so good. I've fully exfoliated I think and the swelling is pretty much gone, skin is about the same (but smoother to touch in the neck/jowl area) and some deeper scars seem to soften a little bit..but this is only my first treatment. Second one will be sometime in July.

South East Asian male, 36 years old ( :boohoo: )..1176 micron, 45 mj level 6 (I think) 8 passes.

risk for melanoma? Where's the primary nevus? Take a fisiopathology book :(

Laser and cancer? Some skin cancer are treated with laser @[email protected]

"Links TUNEL assay for histopathologic evaluation of irreversible chromosomal damage following nonablative fractional photothermolysis."

That isn't in the thread I posted. Is it? Regardless, fraxel seems to really have the potential for some major damage. It reminds me of thermage. Doesn't it act a little like thermage in that it goes deep into the tissue?

I am now not getting fraxel. I decided. I just can't take the chance of having that happen to me.

I really want to get rid of my bumps, so maybe I'll get CO2 or some other laser that they use to get rid of growths --if I have to. I don't think fraxel would do that anyway. The rest of my scars will be restalyned and I will get something to cause microswelling. That works well on the majority of my scarring that won't be filled. Maybe I will try the dermaroller everyone keeps talking about for overall texture.

This is very sad (about fraxel) and depressing.

i don't know about fraxel but i can tell you profractional laser treatment is so waste of money.

my face stayed burnt(brown) for an year. considering it only improved actual scar like 10% at max(it's been 1.5 years since the treatment now), it doesn't worth the money. i bet fraxel and profractional laser are pretty much same since they both use laser to punch a holes on skin.

they say downtime is like 2 days but 2days my butt. you will have horribly red bloody face

for weeks and then have to suffer with burn marks for months to years(if not permanent).

think about it. you get treatment and they wait 5-6 weeks b4 another session and then shoot laser again. but laser marks usually don't disappear in 5-6 weeks. i wouldn't recommend this type of laser treatment on the face to anyone unless you don't mind going out public with bloody zombie face for an year or longer.

the weird thing is that .....it was months after the treatments .so even if you get it done today there's no telling how your skin will react later on...thats scary!!!! it really suks.i hate my scars!!:(

I just looked at the 1st lady's pics again and I noticed her before pics are taken in the best lighting, while her after pics are taken in worse lighting. She mentions lines under her eyes, but she has those same lines in the before pic -- if you really look.

NOW, I still think the fraxel did something to her skin. Those sores aren't acne and they aren't normal. I think, though, she is making her before pics look better than she really looked.

From what I recall of Christine, her skin looked really perfect before and totally scarred afterwards. I'll double check.

I'm still not getting fraxel, but the 1st girl is making her skin look better before on purpose.

Oh, and that guy was totally messed up. For real.

That isn't in the thread I posted. Is it? Regardless, fraxel seems to really have the potential for some major damage. It reminds me of thermage. Doesn't it act a little like thermage in that it goes deep into the tissue?

I am now not getting fraxel. I decided. I just can't take the chance of having that happen to me.

I really want to get rid of my bumps, so maybe I'll get CO2 or some other laser that they use to get rid of growths --if I have to. I don't think fraxel would do that anyway. The rest of my scars will be restalyned and I will get something to cause microswelling. That works well on the majority of my scarring that won't be filled. Maybe I will try the dermaroller everyone keeps talking about for overall texture.

This is very sad (about fraxel) and depressing.

Karmic, not talking about you lol

about the thread of "awalk" in realfself.com

:D

KarmicKandy, there are complications with every procedure. Repair has a 69% approval rating on RealSelf oppossed to 62% with CO2. Cristine was one of the earliest Repair patients and her doctor could not have had much experience with the laser. Awalker had Restore, and so I cannot comment on her story. Actually for bumps the CO2 might be better for you, whereas for depressed scars Repair is much better. I have had both and found CO2 to be useless for me.

KarmicKandy, there are complications with every procedure. Repair has a 69% approval rating on RealSelf oppossed to 62% with CO2. Cristine was one of the earliest Repair patients and her doctor could not have had much experience with the laser. Awalker had Restore, and so I cannot comment on her story. Actually for bumps the CO2 might be better for you, whereas for depressed scars Repair is much better. I have had both and found CO2 to be useless for me.

I know. It sucks that the risks associated with almost every procedure for scarring IS scarring. How ironic.

I've heard that CO2 is good for bumps. To be clear, I wasn't planning on having the fraxel for the bumps, but for overall skin tone and scarring. My skin looks almost scarless when it's tight and my doc recommended fraxel when I asked what could tighten it. I was under the impression there was no risk, because it is non-ablative. Since I am on tane, my doc didn't really go into detail about it, because it's not feasible to do it for 6+ months.

Really, I want to get rid of my bumps. Get fillers for my saucers, and something to plump up or tighten the remaining skin. I will be happy with that. Getting rid of the bumps is the hardest, because nobody really knows what the hell they are...

Karmic I recommend to do something about your skin at least 1yr post accutane because I've been off it for 6moths and my skin still a bit fragile. Also I read that taking accutane can increase the chances of keloid scarring it's better to play it safe I'm planning to wait 2yrs at least.

Finding a good surgeon is important but i believe the after care is just as important, infections can cause more scarring etc so it's best that everyone should be more informed on how to take care of the healing skin post treatment.

I know. If I get laser for my bumps, I will wait a year.

Not sure how long I'll wait for resty.

My skin is not fragile AT ALL. It's not even dry. My skin never gets dry..

The keloids developing is really rare. But even so, I'd wait a year if I were to have anything laser or invasive.

Thanks!

I know. It sucks that the risks associated with almost every procedure for scarring IS scarring. How ironic.

I've heard that CO2 is good for bumps. To be clear, I wasn't planning on having the fraxel for the bumps, but for overall skin tone and scarring. My skin looks almost scarless when it's tight and my doc recommended fraxel when I asked what could tighten it. I was under the impression there was no risk, because it is non-ablative. Since I am on tane, my doc didn't really go into detail about it, because it's not feasible to do it for 6+ months.

Really, I want to get rid of my bumps. Get fillers for my saucers, and something to plump up or tighten the remaining skin. I will be happy with that. Getting rid of the bumps is the hardest, because nobody really knows what the hell they are...

I am only responding to Repair threads and Repair is ablative. Cristine lives a healthy lifestyle, but I do not know about the Restore girl awalker, and she admits to using Botox. I don't want to sound like I am knocking the Restore woman, but I have no interest in non-ablative lasers. I consider them all ineffective. There are no treatments without risks

I can't relate to the bumps you are talking about, but check out the posting of a woman named Stoney who discusses this problem quite a bit on this thread http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...52/m/3960047365

This is a very long thread, but Stoney brings up this problem often. Hope this helps!

I read that after my 3rd Re:Store treatment last month. It freaked me out because I have 8 cyst like lesions on my chin that won't go away. They look exactly like hers. :sick: From what I can tell, she had a lot of Botox and plastic surgery before doing Fraxel. I could see that maybe causing her skin to collapse, also, she looks like she lost weight in the after pics, which can make scarring look worse. I wonder...?