Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sanderella24

Holy Crap. Brushes!

Alright. So I've always wondered what the hell I'm doing wrong with not taking care of my skin... Yes I'm a little oily however I make it a point to eat right...exercise daily...and wash my face when necessary. My two sisters have beautiful skin however they have the occasional breakouts like I do as well. Anyways, a few days ago I had a fit and threw all my makeup on the counter. My mom was standing there upset about how upset I was. And she said, "Cassie! Your brushes are filthy!"

I just realized something that could possibly change my life forever. When I would break out, it would be on my cheek area only. I couldn't figure out why. And today I thought to myself when was the last time I cleaned my brushes? It's BEEN 5 YEARS! 5 years of bacteria build up. Last night, I let the brushes sit in alcohol all night...and today I used them. And well...I could already feel a difference in my skin. I went for a long bike ride, with a little cover up and I wasn't as oily as I usually was. It feels cleaner....much cleaner... Thank GOD FOR MOTHERS!

- Anyone else have problem areas just on their cheeks, where they place blush usually? CLEAN YOUR BRUSHES! HEHHE.

I have the worst acne on my cheeks, unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as you because I cleaned my brushes too and my acne still persisted. I'm glad you got to the bottom of what was causing your breakouts. If only I were so lucky.

From everything I've read, I've gathered that alcohol can actually dry out and damage your brushes. You'd be better off washing them every few days with something gentle, like baby shampoo.

I have the worst acne on my cheeks, unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as you because I cleaned my brushes too and my acne still persisted. I'm glad you got to the bottom of what was causing your breakouts. If only I were so lucky.

Just keep staying positive! It could be the simplest thing in the entire world. Something in your diet. But in all truth, acne will fade. I know it's hard. Sooooo HARd. I hate it too. Don't get me wrong, I still have pimples here and there too! But keep smiling even if it hurts!

I used to clean my brushes with a mixture of water and MAC's makeup brush cleaner, but I didn't want to fork another $10 for a bottle when it ran out. Now I use a mixture of water and a few pumps of Bath and Body Works antibacterial hand soap (the fresh foaming, not the moisturizing creamy kind, because the fresh foaming lathers up easier). Works just as well. Then i lay them out to dry on a paper towel and also fluff up the bristles to reshape them.

Glad to hear you solved the mystery!

Guest missyjean130

I wash my hairbrushes with my hand soap.