Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
loveske

Making Zits Extinct Like Dinosaurs - Sarah's Log

HELLOOO ALL OF YOU LOVELY PEOPLE AT ACNE.ORG! (:

I'm Sarah, an 19 year-old college sophomore. I'm 5 foot 3, weight about 100 pounds, and I'm a vegetarian and healthy eater. I'm have acne since I was about 13, but in the last two years my mild/ moderate acne has become unbearable.

Like most accutane stories start, I've tried everything. Retin-A, tazorac, doryx, antobiotics, differin, cleocin-t, changing my diet, changing my birth control, duac, pretty much everything in the drugstore ... yada yada yada. My derm finally said, "I'm out of options", and a month later my claravis is sitting next to me.

I kind of feel like accutane is my last hope. I've gone through hell for some time and I'm ready to stop letting acne get in the way of my life! And having to jump through a million hurdles to get on the pills makes me want it to work that much more.

But to be honest, I'm a little freaked out about taking it. I've been lurking on acne.org for ages and ages now and I seem to find 'tane horror stories everywhere. People losing hair, their night vision, their sanity... it's some scary stuff.

I think that keeping a log on a place that's so supportive can only mean good things. I'll post some pictures tomorrow to give everyone an idea of what I'm dealing with, and in the meantime I'm chugging water like crazy before I take my first pill.

Here's to hoping I can toss out my concealer eventually... (:

Edited by loveske

Day One

So, obviously I haven't noticed that much yet. I have pretty dry skin to start with, so I've been applying moisturizer like crazy to get in the habit. Last night when I took the pill I apparently didn't swallow it with enough water or something because it got stuck pretty far down my throat and I got some heartburn. ): Not the best way to start this out... lol. I also switched face wash to something without any BP in it, and although I like Neutrogena's DCCC, I miss my foamy wash!

I'm prepared for the symptoms like an army.

I'm stocked up with chapstick, lotion, moisturizer and my full nalgene bottle. (:

Symptoms

None so far! (:

I'll keep you all updated!

Sarah

Hey! I just wanted to drop by and wish you good luck! I'm 19, college sophomore, and on 40mg too! I love finding people that are about my age and on the same dose. Today is day 10 for me, and I'm sure you'll start seeing changes soon :)

Hey! I just started on Accutane too a few days ago :) I've just popped my fourth 40 mg pill also and I had no side effects at all yet but I wish you the best of luck and I'll be following you along!

Hey! I just wanted to drop by and wish you good luck! I'm 19, college sophomore, and on 40mg too! I love finding people that are about my age and on the same dose. Today is day 10 for me, and I'm sure you'll start seeing changes soon :)

Awwww, thank you! I love finding similar people too... It's kind of nice to know someone's in the same boat as you. I'll definitely start following your log too!

ps - you look g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s in your picture! (:

Hey! I just started on Accutane too a few days ago :) I've just popped my fourth 40 mg pill also and I had no side effects at all yet but I wish you the best of luck and I'll be following you along!

Good luck to you too! and thanks for following me! It feels pretty damn good to know that someone is actually reading the bits of nonsense I'm typing. (: Here's to hoping there's no side effects, right?

Day Two

Well, because I have such sensitive skin my derm is having me take the 'tane every other day for the first two weeks, I don't have much of an update for everyone. My skin is still pretty dry (but like I said, it was when I started), and mountains of CeraVe is definitely helping. I have a few new whiteheads around my chin, where I never ever get acne, but again with one day on the pill I can't blame the claravis.

And this is a little TMI, but whatever... I seriously have to pee like every hour. Downing 64oz+ of water everyday is apparently starting to work! (: Am I only one that finds it kind of funny? lol

Symptoms

Dry skin (as usual, not necessarily 'tane related)

A few new zits (again, as usual)

Here's to a summer in the sun... coated in SPF! (:

Sarah

Yay a fellow vegetarian! haha. Good luck with your course. I can relate to the always having to pee thing, if anyone ever needs to find me at school, i'll most probably be in the toilets..... :D

Hello sweetpea! (: It's always lovely meeting a fellow veggiesaurus. Tonight I had a tofu stirfry and ohmygoodness it was delicious! Thank you for letting me know that I'm not the only one spending lots of time in the bathroom... and I'll take whatever extra luck I can get, so thanks!

Thanks for checking in stevie! (:

Days 3-6

I'm sorry I haven't checked in lately... I've been working a ton of hours this week. It's finally started to get hot here in socal, pretty dang hot. It was almost 85 today, and for this area that's warmwarmwarm! I finally broke out one of my sundresses!

And ugh... Something that I consider to be ridiculously annoying annoyed me today. I was in Sephora and this girl walks up to the mirror next to me. She was super close to the mirror and was touching all over her skin. Then she turns to me and says, "oh my GAWWWDD, isn't acne the worst? I'm sooo covered in zits, it's disgusting."

SHE HAD NO ACNE. NOT A SINGLE ZIT.

and I'm standing a foot away from her, covered in zits. Isn't that just ridiculous?

Anyways, 'tane wise I've been doing pretty well! Nothing major has really changed. I still have a few whiteheads by my forehead, but I think it's just because I wore my hair down like 4 days in a row. My eyes have been drying out a little and it's been giving me wicked headaches. The Atlantic Ocean amounts of water I've been drinking helps a little.

No mood swings, no cracked lips, nothing much to report, sorry.

It's like christmas everytime I get a reply, so keep 'em coming! (:

Symptoms

A little dry skin

A few new actives

Dry eyes

Hello, just looking for some new logs to keep up with! :)

That story about the girl in sephora pissed me off!! I have so many "friends" that do that shit to me. They have perfectly clear skin and they have to talk about how grose their tiny little pin head pimple is and all that...it makes me so mad. I also hate when people who dont have acne feel the need to suggest acne products to you!! This happens all the time when I go to the mall to buy my makeup. The girls at the counter always feel like its necessary to point out my acne and find out what im doing about it...then they have to suggest something like pro-active!!! haha, as if i havent tried it before, and as if it works!!! ya right.

Anyways, theres my little rant. your story got me going!

Well good luck with your course and keep us updated. I'm only 3 weeks in myself!!

OH..have you noticed the crazy dreams?? Ive been having them every night since ive been on accutane.

Hey Sarah!

I love the title of your blog, so I decided to check it out!

I was mostly drawn here because you're about the same weight and age as me, but you're taking a slightly higher dose. I weigh 93 pounds and I'm on 20 mg a day, but the 'tane is KICKING MY ASS! I am kinda freaking...since it's my second time taking this med.

It's been a little over a week, but already I've had horrible headaches, ringing in my ears (which I think is the scariest) and an achey body. I'm only taking 20 mgs!!!

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've been drinking crazy amounts of water, eating a lot of foods with my pills, but I dont take supplements. Maybe that's my problem?

I'm just kinda freaking because I need accutane to get rid of my acne but i'm not sure if this is worth it!!

:( Do you have any advice for me?

sweetpea, that's kind of scary! I made mine with soyaki (soy sauce and teriyaki sauce mixed)... and like I said, it was so so so super good. Plus it was low sodium, which is always a good thing. And you aren't taking up space! I love the replies!

Hello shellbell! I TOTALLY agree with you! I also love the people who go, "you have something on your face..." and I'm like, "yeah, it's acne". lol. But believe me, your rant is something that I've definitely complained to my friends about. Thank you so much for your luck! And no, no crazy dreams yet, but I'm also on ambien, so I pretty much pass out. Good luck to you too and I'll keep tabs on your log too. (:

Hey loves it! I'm so glad you like my title! It took me like 230958 tries to think of something, so it's nice to hear that someone likes it! You poor thing! I'm so sorry that the 'tane isn't mixing well with you... it always sucks when we're trying to do something to solve one problem and then another pops up.

Did you have these problems when you took it the first time? Were you on the same dose as before?

I think that it could just be your body adjusting to the meds. And supplements definitely help, I'm taking flaxseed oil, vitamin E and these packets of Emergen-c everyday (which are seriously amazing). The ringing could be a sign that maybe your body has changed from the last time you were on it. I'm really really sorry! ): I say stick with it for another week, but if all of this stuff keeps up and/or gets worst, you should talk to your derm.

Keep your head up! (:

Day Seven

Week One is Done! (:

So, I'm really loving the replies. They make me so so happy! This community is so supportive and since I know like two people who have been on 'tane, it's good to have a group of helpful people.

It's still pretty hot out, and I am like SPF central. Luckily I have a very messy room to clean to keep me out of the sun!

Eucerin Everyday Protection Face Lotion, SPF 30 is now in my regimen. It's not moisturizing enough by itself, but I mix it with a little CeraVe and it goes perfectly under makeup. Plus it's super lightweight and isn't greasy!

If you're interested, you can find it here: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=21503

And I've also started using a lotion with SPF because I'm basically transparent. It's also Eucerin (no, I'm not endorsed by them or anything, they just make such lightweight stuff!), and it's Eucerin Everyday Protection Body Lotion SPF 15 Protection. It smells okay, but I mix it with a bit of body butter and it works perfectly. (:

I'm still pretty side-effect free. My skin is drinking up moisturizer like crazy, thank god I bought like 4 bottles of CeraVe before I started, because I've been applying the stuff like every 4-6 hours. It's not bad though, I can still wear makeup. The few whiteheads I had on my face yesterday and now GIGANTIC. But that's kind of normal for me, so I'm not freaking out. I've also been pretty thirsty, but it's manageable. And my eyes are still pretty dry, but again nothing that can't be fixed by a little visine. (: So, all in all, I'm still doing well! I expected some dryness, and so far it's been mild.

And here's a big virtual hug for all of you out there who are in the yucky acne boat with me. :comfort: I keep telling myself: it can only get better! (:

Symptoms

Still a little dry skin

Still a few new actives

Dry eyes

Thirsty

Day Seven

Week One is Done! (:

So, I'm really loving the replies. They make me so so happy! This community is so supportive and since I know like two people who have been on 'tane, it's good to have a group of helpful people. It's still pretty hot out, and I am like SPF central.

Eucerin Everyday Protection Face Lotion, SPF 30 is now in my regimen. It's not moisturizing enough by itself, but I mix it with a little CeraVe and it goes perfectly under makeup. Plus it's super lightweight and isn't greasy!

If you're interested, you can find it here:

And I've also started using a lotion with SPF because I'm basically transparent. It's also Eucerin (no, I'm not endorsed by them or anything, they just make such lightweight stuff!), and it's Eucerin Everyday Protection Body Lotion SPF 15 Protection. It smells okay, but I mix it with a bit of body butter and it works perfectly. (:

I'm still pretty side-effect free. My skin is drinking up moisturizer like crazy, thank god I bought like 4 bottles of CeraVe before I started, because I've been applying the stuff like every 4-6 hours. It's not bad though, I can still wear makeup. The few whiteheads I had on my face yesterday and now GIGANTIC. But that's kind of normal for me, so I'm not freaking out. I've also been pretty thirsty, but it's manageable. And my eyes are still pretty dry, but again nothing that can't be fixed by a little visine. (: So, all in all, I'm still doing well! I expected some dryness, and so far it's been mild.

And here's a big virtual hug for all of you out there who are in the yucky acne boat with me. :comfort: I keep telling myself: it can only get better! (:

Symptoms

Still a little dry skin

Still a few new actives

Dry eyes

Thirsty

goodluck with the accutane treatment.. hope you get rid of your acne..

sweetpea, that's kind of scary! I made mine with soyaki (soy sauce and teriyaki sauce mixed)... and like I said, it was so so so super good. Plus it was low sodium, which is always a good thing. And you aren't taking up space! I love the replies!

Hello shellbell! I TOTALLY agree with you! I also love the people who go, "you have something on your face..." and I'm like, "yeah, it's acne". lol. But believe me, your rant is something that I've definitely complained to my friends about. Thank you so much for your luck! And no, no crazy dreams yet, but I'm also on ambien, so I pretty much pass out. Good luck to you too and I'll keep tabs on your log too. (:

Hey loves it! I'm so glad you like my title! It took me like 230958 tries to think of something, so it's nice to hear that someone likes it! You poor thing! I'm so sorry that the 'tane isn't mixing well with you... it always sucks when we're trying to do something to solve one problem and then another pops up.

Did you have these problems when you took it the first time? Were you on the same dose as before?

I think that it could just be your body adjusting to the meds. And supplements definitely help, I'm taking flaxseed oil, vitamin E and these packets of Emergen-c everyday (which are seriously amazing). The ringing could be a sign that maybe your body has changed from the last time you were on it. I'm really really sorry! ): I say stick with it for another week, but if all of this stuff keeps up and/or gets worst, you should talk to your derm.

Keep your head up! (:

Yeah, I'm on the same dose as before...here's the thing though, I got an ear infection on Tuesday and got a Z-pack...it cleared up the pain in the ear, but I still have to constantly "unstuff" it by opening my jaw quickly. I'm a little scared so I have an ENT appointment for Thursday, but I'm not sure if that's soon enough! :/ I'm thinking of rescheduling my appointment so I can see my ENT sooner, but I don't think I'm gonna take Accutane until I do...cause that section on hearing loss really freaked me out.

Thanks for your advice on supplements! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Has anyone else on this thread dealt with ear issues on the 'tane?

Hey sarah i just started isotretinoin from june 17th ...right now im breaking out very badly..actually my doctor put me on isoace which 20mg isotretinoin ...heard of it..i wish you good luck..GOD bless:)

Hey, thought i would stop by and wish you a good course :surprised:

I'm sure you already know this but drinking lots of water is key to keeping side effects at bay, its helped me for sure

Just wanted to drop by and say hello! I'm on 40mg of Amnesteem and on Day 15 I think. Sounds like you're doing good. So was I at your point and then I started my IB lol. Hopefully you pass that part by!

Oh my goodness! 5 replies?! (:

doom - thank you so much for your luck! I hope I get rid of all my acne too! Well, to be honest, I kind of hope everyone gets rid of their acne. That sounded SO Miss America!

Hello again loves it! You poor thing... I really hope the ENT appointment goes well. I googled 'ear pain on accutane' and came up with a lot of results. Apparently it's a pretty common symptom, but still, if it's bothering you, there's no reason for you to have to go through that. Keep us posted!

jediv - Thanks for the good luck! I'm so sorry you're breaking out badly. Are you drinking enough water/ taking any supplements? I've heard of both shortening the length and severity of the IB. I've never heard on isoace, but I'm assuming it's a generic of accutane? Good luck with your treatment, and let me know how your skin is doing!

Hey youaintmypops! I was just reading your thread, and I'm hoping that your flare up is doing better. Have you gone to the derm yet? And thanks for the advice, I've been drinking so much water. It's gotten a little awkward because at work I have to go to the bathroom like every hour... I think people there are starting to get a little suspicious! lol. Hope your summer's good (:

MissAngie! I'm kind of honored that you posted on my wall! I've been following your log since you started it, and I hope your IB is over pretty soon. I don't know why I haven't gotten my IB yet, but I'm really hoping that I never get it... I know, it's a big wish. (: I'll keep tabs on your log and happy late birthday! (:

Days 8 and 9

So, I think the 'tane is finally starting to affect me - and some stuff is good, some isn't. Luckily I still haven't gotten my IB (fingers crossed fingers crossed fingers crossed!), and I haven't had any weird symptoms. I'm ridiculously thirsty and have been drinking about 80 oz of water everyday. And like I said in my reply to youaintmypops, when I'm at work I'm always running to the bathroom!

The two big zits I had on my last post have now cleared up, and I've never had any acne be gone in two days, so that's pretty dang cool! But I also woke up with two new white heads on the side of my face that I sleep on.

Am I the only one who breaks out on the side they sleep? I wash my pillow cases frequently!

I also have a light red coloring to my face. It looks like a really light sunburn, and looking around the boards I've noticed that other people have gotten this 'burn' too. But I know it can't actually be sunburn because I've been wearing tons of sunscreen on my face.

Last night my mom actually said that my skin looked better, and my sister agrees! I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone's ever said that! :wub:

I still have the basic symptoms I had before: dry skin, dry eyes, very thirsty... and my lips are starting to get chapped. Most people would be like, "man, that's annoying" but I'm just excited that I can feel the meds working! (: Any little symptom is going to be better than the years of yuckiness I've had. Keep your head up, 'taners!

Symptoms

Still a little dry skin

Still a few new actives

Dry eyes

Dry lips

Thirsty

A little 'tane burn

Hope everyone's summer is good! (:

Last night my mom actually said that my skin looked better, and my sister agrees! I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone's ever said that! :wub:

That's so awesome, loveske. Hope everything continues in that direction and you'll be clear in no time. By the by, I think this is my favourite thread title. Fantastic. I'll be dropping in every now and again. Hope you don't mind the intrusion. Thanks for posting in mine, too. Good luck!

woo that`s a cool comment from your mom and sis..yar:)..well i wish "the day is not far" for them to tell you ..you look gorgeous your skin is crystal clear;)...i`m on day 15th on my treatment..initially i got terrible breakouts like many stuff on my face, which i never had before at all:(...was wondering what was wrong then noticed it happens...and as of now few more tiny spots pooped...i basically have moderately severe acne:(..

Hey Sarah! I'm glad things are getting better for you :) That's awesome about your mom and sister, don't you love it when other people say your skin looks good? I hope you don't get a bad IB, mine is in effect right now. It's not terrible, and it's going away pretty fast so hopefully you'll have some luck!

seesay - I'm so glad that you like my title! I don't mind the intrusion at all... I love replies. (: Good luck with your course too!

Hey again jediv! I know, I was so happy when they told me that. I was actually taken back a little when they said it, because I'm so used to getting that awkward "you have something on your face" line. I'm sorry that your skin isn't doing too hot, but I'm sure if you give it a little more time it'll be fine. You said that my skin looks crystal clear? Where did you find pictures of me? lol, I haven't posted any. (:

Hello caitie! Thanks for your lovely words (: I seriously loved it when they said that! I don't think anyone has ever said that my skin looked good but I hope I get more of those. I'm sorry that your IB is starting... I'm going to to check out your log, and I'm happy that yours isn't that bad! Merci merci merci again for keeping tabs on my log!

Day Ten

...I'm a little freaked out. Where is my IB? Where is my nodules and peeling and grossness? I haven't had anything even remotely resembling the IB's I got with tazorac (which was AWFUL, and I really wish I had pictures), or every other med I've tried. I really really hope that I skip the IB, because that would just be amazing, knock on wood! :pray:

I am proud to say that my skin is actually not getting worse! :wub:

I still have a little bit of redness and about two zits that are being a little stubborn, but otherwise I have never had acne GO AWAY rather than POP UP ON EVERY SQUARE INCH OF MY FACE.

Yes, I still am dry as heck: dry eyes, dry lips and dry skin. But it's not too bad. My skin has become a little reluctant to 'drink up' my moisturizer though. It kind of sits on top of my skin, and I've used CeraVe for years and never have experienced anything like this. I have some minor joint pain in my knees and fingers, but it's more annoying than it is painful.

Sidebar, I went to the bathroom 7 times during my 6 hour shift at work yesterday! How awkward is that?! :doh: The worst part is that I didn't count that... the bartender at my job counted. I'm a hostess at this lovely restaurant in LA and I kept seating people and then running off to the bathroom. I really hope that all the water I'm drinking is helping my skin because I'm getting a tad embarrassed with all of the trips!

So yeah, everything is good! I can deal with the dryness because it's nice not having skin so oily that I go through my makeup. And because I've dubbed this summer 'the summer of good changes' I'm more than willing to deal with a little extra lotion and dry skin in the name of volcano-free skin! (: All the changes I'm making this summer should lead to me finally feeling more confident come next year at college... I'm hoping to be more social and hopefully join a sorority.

I have 6 things that I seriously want to accomplish by the time I go back to school:

-No acne (duhhhhh...)

-Become better at cooking (I'm moving into an apartment with 3 of my friends, none of which cook)

-Fix my teeth. I haven't worn my retainer in AGES and my teeth have shifted quite a bit. I'd also love love love to get them whitened again.

-Tone up my body a little bit and become more flexible.

-Update my wardrobe, which has become ridiculously boring.

-Earn enough money from working/ babysitting to buy new clothes, new stuff for my apartment and donate some to charity.

Let's see how many I can do!

Symptoms

Dry skin

Still a few new actives

Dry eyes

Dry lips

Thirsty

A little 'tane burn

Minor joint pain

...Sorry I wrote a novel! (: