Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have an appointment with my dermatologist next week, and I was thinking of asking him if it's okay for me to use Differin. Currently here's the regimen he put me on.. been doing this for almost 5-6 weeks already. I highlighted his prescriptions.

Morning

- Mild Facial Wash

- Toner

- Moisturizer

- Doxycycline 50mg

Night

- Mild Facial Wash

- Acanya Gel (1.2% Clindamycin & 2.5% BP)

- Moisturizer

- Doxycycline 50mg

* I exfoliate 2x-3x a week.

So far, my acne has been controllable although my right cheeks has been persistent with some small inflammed acne once a week. My skin is very oily too. Since I am very unfortunate, my previous cystic acne left a remarkable amount of red/ purplish scars.

Example of my right cheek.. I have some more on my left cheek, chin and forehead..

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/ehytee7/scars.png

The surface of my skin is pretty smooth..just those terrible looking red marks that is very hard to conceal even with make up on. I've read that using Differin or Retin A will speed up the process of skin renewal, but read good things regarding BHA as well.

So which one will benefit me better?

Hi there =]

I think you may be confusing BHA with AHA. AHA exfoliates the skins surface revealing new skin, and BHA exfoliates deeper within the pore. Next time you go to your derm, ask him/her if they think AHA/glycolic acid in a 10% form would benefit your scarring. I don't want to recommend anything at this point because you're already on a few prescriptions from your derm and I don't know how they would react with one another.

Also - is your toner alcohol based?

- Jayne

I have an appointment with my dermatologist next week, and I was thinking of asking him if it's okay for me to use Differin. Currently here's the regimen he put me on.. been doing this for almost 5-6 weeks already. I highlighted his prescriptions.

Morning

- Mild Facial Wash

- Toner

- Moisturizer

- Doxycycline 50mg

Night

- Mild Facial Wash

- Acanya Gel (1.2% Clindamycin & 2.5% BP)

- Moisturizer

- Doxycycline 50mg

* I exfoliate 2x-3x a week.

So far, my acne has been controllable although my right cheeks has been persistent with some small inflammed acne once a week. My skin is very oily too. Since I am very unfortunate, my previous cystic acne left a remarkable amount of red/ purplish scars.

Example of my right cheek.. I have some more on my left cheek, chin and forehead..

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/ehytee7/scars.png

The surface of my skin is pretty smooth..just those terrible looking red marks that is very hard to conceal even with make up on. I've read that using Differin or Retin A will speed up the process of skin renewal, but read good things regarding BHA as well.

So which one will benefit me better?

^ I did asked him if I can use AHA, and he said that I can if I want to. So then he just gave me a prescription of Effoclark/ Effo something, but I haven't gotten it yet on my local pharmacy coz I was thinking about Differin.

With my scars, he would just constantly tell me that it'll be gone in 2-3 months time, but they still look the same as day 1. Although those that in my forehead have turned lightish brown.

It's up to you whether or not you want to use an AHA or a BHA. It'll depend on your skin and how well it tolerates a new treatment.

You can use either AHA or BHA with Differin (I'd just apply them at opposite times of the day, the retinoid at night and the AHA or BHA in the morning). BHA is great for clogged pores. I myself find that AHA is great for clogged pores. Both exfoliate and help with red marks.

The length of time of purging varies per individual. For me, I purged about a month when I started glycolic acid. Some might purge only two weeks, some more than a month, even up to three months. It just varies. Unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule.

Whatever treatment you choose, don't forget the sunscreen of at least SPF 30.