Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emtown

Accutane as an adult

Hi there. Just wanted to give some assurance to those considering accutane for the first time as an adult. I am prone to cystic acne that is cyclical with my hormonal fluctations and stress. I did accutane when I was about 24 for a six month period and it cleared me right up. I tried everything from age 13 to 24 from all different variations of antibiotics and topicals and finally decided to bite the bullet and take the accutane. The treatment worked like a gem. I was totally clear, no cysts for about 6 years! This past year, I was stressed as never before duirng grad school and the cysts resumed like clockwork. Even after school, I continued to break out so I'm on it again because it worked so well last time with minimal side effects. I'm very fit and work out every day and a couple of times a week I'll indulge in a glass or two of wine or beer. I find that I have the same side effects as listed in these postings - i'm more fatigued, feel a bit sick sometimes, and have dry lips. Also, my muscles tend to get a bit sore from working out, but a hot bath and lots of water really helps. Same for drinking. Just keep yourself hydrated and take care of your body. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm 28 and taking accutane for the first time and feeling pretty much the same as you. I work out daily as well and am just starting to feel some extra soreness. I like the hot bath idea a lot!

Good luck with the rest of your course.