Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
javer

need help with acne

i used to always have acne. until about 2 years ago. i guess i outgrew it. i was completely clear and doing fine. every morning and night i would wash my face with regular hand soap. i later heard it was good to steam the skin to open up the pores, so every night i would just let the hot water wash over my face and then wash it with soap and then rince it off and follow that with just chilling in a cold shower for a little bit. skin was fine.

then i heard that hand soap is bad for the skin. even though my skin was fine i decided perhaps i should try using a facial cleanser. about 5 months ago i went to walgreens and got some neutrogena facial wash for normal to oily skin. i used it every morning and night just like i was using the hand soap. after a week or two i broke out really bad. worse than i'd ever experienced. i heard that it gets worse before it gets better and i kept with it. but it wasn't getting any better and i had no more patience for this neutrogena crap and i stopped using it and went back to the hand soap.

5 months later and it is definitely improved, but i am still not back to my pre break out skin. maybe i'm messed up in the head, but this is killing my self esteem. it affects my entire state of mind, so its important for me to fix this. i've changed my diet to include carrots and fruits. i've taken up running again. and i've been trying to get regular sleep, though i don't always.

i just don't know what to do anymore. i don't want to ingest any drugs and i deeply distrust all topical products now. at this point i think i'm going to stop using hand soap too and just wash with water and see how that goes.

any advice?

also, i work at a mechanic/ auto body shop. this might only be a coincidence, but about a week before i broke out and i bought the neutrogena stuff, i got splashed with used motor oil all over m face. originally i thought this might have something to do with it, but it has been so long since that happen and i still have acne, so i doubt it. just thought i'd mention it in case anyone thinks that is a problem. maybe motor oil sticks in your skin forever or something...i don't know...i don't think just working at such a place is contributing to my acne because i worked there for two years with clear skin before now.

Well, I would think that just water won't do much. It won't penetrate like other products. If you're acne is being persistent, why not try the Regimen? And I don't think having the oil splashed on you would affect you much if you washed it off immediately.

Just my opinion! =)

perhaps the neutragena did have something in it that irritated your face but its always been good for me (well better than everything else) and i think the fact that your skin is still bad possibly suggests that it wasn't the neutragena

but just a random acne breakout (maybe it was a coincidence)

from the sounds of it you acne isn't that bad so i would second the above persons comment about trying the regimin

if not go to a doctor/derm maybe it depends how bad your acne is and how much it is effecting you

other advice i can give you

take a zinc tablet!!!(in high doses this can sometimes completely clear have a dramatic effect of a persons acne)

cut out dairy

perhaps go on birth control if your female

"If you're acne is being persistent, why not try the Regimen?"

have a deep distrust of topical products now.

take a zinc tablet!!!(in high doses this can sometimes completely clear have a dramatic effect of a persons acne)

cut out dairy

perhaps go on birth control if your female

i've heard about zinc. i might try that. i'd rather find natural foods that have if its possible.

i've never heard of dairy being an issue.

birth control would probably help if i was female hehe.