Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukguy

initial breakout

Can anyone tell me how long the initial breakout lasts? i started taking antibiotics last monday so its been a week, after about three days i started to breakout and it hasnt stopped yet.

when will things get better? thanks

Which antibiotic are you prescribed? It might help us get a better idea.

But, the breakout could last anywhere from just a week to over a month. I would think you should start clearing up by week 3 or 4 though. Best of luck!

It took about 2 months for me to see a difference (less acne) and exactly 3 months for breakouts to completely stop (totally clear).

I was taking Doxy 75 mgs a day. Ive been tampering down for 3 weeks now. It takes awhile, just stick with it and don't give up.

Please note: Antibiotics will help clear your skin, it is your job to maintain it and keep it clear. In other words, antibiotics will not work forever. I highly suggest you use this time and find a regimen /topical to help keep your acne under control.

I recommend BP.

I read (from one of Wynne's post) that using BP when taking an antibiotic can help stop the development of bacterial resistance.

^ this means I have two more months to be extremely patient with Doxy.

I never started seeing results til maybe week 2 towards week 3, but til then , I was still getting break outs. Though the zits that were surfacing were much smaller, but still inflamed. I'm towards week 6 now, and unfortunately, I am still breaking out, but it's somewhat bearable compared to the cystic ones months ago.

^ this means I have two more months to be extremely patient with Doxy.

I never started seeing results til maybe week 2 towards week 3, but til then , I was still getting break outs. Though the zits that were surfacing were much smaller, but still inflamed. I'm towards week 6 now, and unfortunately, I am still breaking out, but it's somewhat bearable compared to the cystic ones months ago.

I just started my second round of Solodyn and I broke out pretty bad on day 4-6...today being day 6. It's pretty disappointing right now...not to mention embarrassing going to work in my current state. Fortunately, I spend my days in a cube, but I still need to interact with coworkers and right now I can't look them in the face.

I just started my second round of Solodyn and I broke out pretty bad on day 4-6...today being day 6. It's pretty disappointing right now...not to mention embarrassing going to work in my current state. Fortunately, I spend my days in a cube, but I still need to interact with coworkers and right now I can't look them in the face.

Second round meaning you are on month 2 already of taking Solodyn? If that's the case then we're pretty much on the same time frame. I asked my derm why I was still breaking out despite taking antibiotics, he told me that it takes two months for it to stabilize on our blood stream. So we actually wouldn't know if it's working til maybe after 2 months.

Currently, the one that bothers me are my acne scars. Though they are flat, they looked like acne from far away.

Second round meaning you are on month 2 already of taking Solodyn? If that's the case then we're pretty much on the same time frame. I asked my derm why I was still breaking out despite taking antibiotics, he told me that it takes two months for it to stabilize on our blood stream. So we actually wouldn't know if it's working til maybe after 2 months.

Currently, the one that bothers me are my acne scars. Though they are flat, they looked like acne from far away.

No, I mean second round as in I was on Solodyn last fall but went off it because it didn't help after 2 months. My derm put me on a stronger dose this time so we'll see. Regardless, I was offered Accutane and plan to go on that soon.

For anyone interested iv been taking these antibiotics for 12 days, after about the 4th i started breaking out which lasted about 5 days, now these last few days i havnt seen much improvement but my skin has stopped breaking out, it might breakout again who knows but heres hoping ill start seeing results soon.

my acne isnt too bad generally, more on my back than my face, so im hoping ill see results sooner than if my skin was severe.

i also use antibiotics (minocycline) for 1 week and i also got a initial breakout when i just started... that was on the 4th day. I didn't breakout anymore (its clearing up right now), but is there anyone who knows if you can have a initial breakout again?