Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
metaps

Mild acne and Regimen question

I am 20 years old and have mild acne. I never have more than a few pimples but it is constant, very rarely is my face 100% clean. It is a pretty big deal for me since the 1 or 2 I get are pretty noticeable. I was using a clean and clear product and tried a few others but none completely worked. I am very interested in the Regimen but I have my birthday and a vacation coming up in 2 weeks. I've read that before the acne gets better it can get worse and I really don't want to go on vacation with escalated acne. Is it most likely that my skin will get worse or would I be fine using the products soon. Also I work in customer service and retail so I am interacting with people all day, another reason I have been a bit reluctant to try this out.

When you start off the regimen, expect your face to get worse before it to get better. There's going to be some purging before all the gunk is out of your face.

So would the Regimen not be the best option for me? I am not in the position where I can afford to have terrible skin for a bit so I can look into some other options if you guys have any suggestions. From all the reviews it does seem like the Regimen would be a good long term fix which I am looking for. I don't mind using what I currently have until my vacation is done and in about 3 weeks go onto the Regimen if the worsening of the skin doesn't last too long

Before I started the regime, using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide sporadically did improve my acne somewhat, and used once or twice in a week instead of everyday, it didn't seem to cause irritation.

If I were you I'd want to start using a tiny amount of the BP every day or every other in hopes that my skin would start the acclimation process...you're supposed to start small anyway...but that's just me, I'm impatient. :shifty:

Before I started the regime, using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide sporadically did improve my acne somewhat, and used once or twice in a week instead of everyday, it didn't seem to cause irritation.

If I were you I'd want to start using a tiny amount of the BP every day or every other in hopes that my skin would start the acclimation process...you're supposed to start small anyway...but that's just me, I'm impatient. :shifty:

So use the BP alone and then after a bit add the rest of the Regime? That sounds like a good idea. Also would I put it on my entire face or only on the parts where there is acne?

The idea with the regimen is to apply BP to the whole face, but just start off with a small amount and work your way up

So use the BP alone and then after a bit add the rest of the Regime? That sounds like a good idea. Also would I put it on my entire face or only on the parts where there is acne?

Ok, so my book (Breaking Out by Lydia Preston) says that BP isn't supposed to do anything to already existing acne, because technically, if you treat an already existing red spot, you're too late. The redness is a signal that your your body has already sent bacteria battling neutrophils in - they kill P. acnes and also produce the distructive inflammatory response. Pus is a sign of dead bacteria. BP is primarily meant as preventative and not a spot treatment.

However, I'm not sure my experience correlates with this 100%. BP seems to help my already existing acne as well as prevent new spots. But perhaps that's because BP is lipid soluble, able to cut through oil to penetrate to the sebaceous follicle, which might help loosen comedones a bit.

A general rule of thumb would be, the earlier you catch it, the better. Dan has said before that when he goes off the regime, his acne always comes back. For the people who are not lucky enough to go off the regime and stay clear, it's a treatment, not a cure.

So to sum that all up, you should probably treat your whole face, because the idea behind BP is proactive and not reactive.

But our skin isn't always kind enough to subscribe to theory :rolleyes: so I definately reccommend experimenting with BP application to find out what works for you.

On a related note, the oilier parts of my skin (forehead and nose) seem to adjust to the BP much quicker and with a lot less irritation. So I am able to use more BP on my forehead while my cheeks get extremely dry and irritated with the same amount. The flipside of that is, my forehead breaks out a lot more than my cheeks and is taking a much longer time to clear.