Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
konichiwa5

ACNE CURED at 39! NO SH**!

I had to give this a try, so I hopped in the car and took a drive to Walmart at 10pm to get the No-Flush Niacin. I got a double pack for like $13. I took one as soon as I got out to the car.

Let's see if I have any results.

I have just started the DKR, so hopefully between the two of them...

Okay, I'll admit, I've surfed this forum on & off for the last couple years. Half of the advice I ignore, because it seems to be people intent on cysts must be cured by antibiotics/accutane. I'm allergic to damn near every antibiotic, and refuse to deal with the accutane deal after seeing how badly it messed a couple of my friends up. As stated, everyone is different! So I surf random threads to see what might work.

About me, in brief. 39 yo female, never had acne as a teen, until my mid 20's. Then, not terribly bad, the occasional whitehead/blackhead, but I got what I call my "PMS zits", that are actually cysts, as well as acne on my shoulders which varied from blackheads, whiteheads, the occasional cyst. My PMS zits seemed to just be there. One or three would pop up every month, as soon as they started to go away, either pop back up or new ones would. Then for several months they didn't appear. They started again about three months ago....

Now, if you're wondering why I'm posting it in this thread is because I got a whopper of a cyst a couple weeks, that finally exploded tonight. I mean, literally, I was cleaning it to put neosporin on it, and it exploded. In two places. And I can see one more spot that I know if I stuck in pin in it, it would too. It's huge. Over a half inch in diameter, not just a zit, it's what happens when these things actually come to a head (they generally don't) with me. Multiple heads, there for weeks or months. So I head back here.

I've known about niacin as a supplement for quite a while. I actually used to take it semi regularly. For acne? Nope, because it helps with hangovers/digestion/tons of other things! My mom has been taking it daily for a couple years, on her doctor's advice. Off topic, kinda, but... so for the six or so months I was PMS zitfree, I attributed my clearing up to two things. A. I temporarily moved in with my BF, who has well water, and B. I started the Head & Shoulders that I read about here to clear up my shoulder/bacne.

For the last 3 months, my PMS zits have been terrible, since I moved again. Overall skin/bacne great due to the H&S, I figured something in the "city water" was causing the cysts, because nothing else has changed..... or so I thought.

After reading this, it hit me. For those six months, I used to take niacin almost every day (hey, I don't even remember my vitamins some days!), *not* because I was drinking every day, but because in the mornings, he took his multi & a niacin, and I got into the habit. Well, I never bought niacin when I moved, and some stuff is still in boxes.

Reading this and thinking about it made me dig through a box & find a partial bottle of niacin. I'm going back to taking one with my multivitamin, and will let y'all know how it goes. I truly feel like an idiot thinking it was the water change that helped my cysts stop/start again after reading this & ans6's blog.

I do love this board, I believe it truly helps, gives out options (usually), and helps those of us who can't or won't do the antibiotic/accutane route with things to try. Not to mention just the knowing that you're not the ONLY one who has this huge red thing(s) on your chin that you're embarrassed to go out in public with, or worse (I know, I'm lucky to only have 2-3 at a time). I've just never wanted to post before unless it was to tell somebody to STFU, just because it worked for you, it won't work for everyone, to those people who respond to every thread with the same thing. Niacin may not work for everyone. Every single person is different. And hey, I may be wrong, it may be a water change. Time will tell!

HEy wus up guys? i came across this niacin stuff a week ago, so i decided to try it. I've been taking niacin the non flush kind for about 5days now. I havent really seen any improvement, it caused me a little bit of an upset stomach the first 2 days.I will continue taking this I think i will give it a month or so see what happens.I will continue to post with updates on road with niacin.I also started Dans regimn today :rolleyes: hopefully it works.

been taking 500 mg of niacin for 9 days my zits have gottin way smaller and they were pretty big.therer not totally gone but after 9 days you can barley see them.I got a new zit today im going to see how many days it takes for it to go away with niacin and I will post back how long it took.by the way do you guys think its safe to take 500 mg a day of this stuff?Im taking the flush free kind from wallgreens.

Edited by ctbo

500mg is fine. After reading this, I called my mom. She's been taking Niacin for about 8 years, 500mg a day, per her doctor's advice for cholesterol. She varies between the flush & non flush kind, depending on what store has buy one get one free. :)

So in addition to any skin perks you may receive, it does help with lowering your cholesterol, digestion, etc.

To the original poster: Thank you for sharing your story and your solution. For acne sufferers, like you said, it's a daily nightmare when it comes to socializing with others with a bad complexion. I dream of the days I will have clear skin and won't worry about going into public and socializing with others. I'm 21 and have been dealing with it since around 14-15.

I am tired of spending hundreds of dollars on ciprofloxacin, minocycline, doxycycline, zithromax, evoclin, BP, washes - all with only temporary results.

I feel it is awesome that people like you come forward to share possible solutions. Otherwise, corporations have no reason to reveal possible cures, simply because they make money from selling temporary solutions.

I bought my Niacin tonight (with some chromium) and am looking forward to see if this helps me. Even if it doesn't, I'm glad that it worked for you and you achieved clear skin without continuing to shell out hundreds to corporations and uneducated physicians.

This is going to be my first post, but I've been lurking the boards for years. Anyway, I'm 26 and i've had acne since I was 15 and at the age of 21 I started forming cystic acne. Like many people, I have tried about everything in the book to get clear but to avail.

I have started Sundown Naturals flush free niacin 500 MG a few days ago and so far, so good. I've not had any new pimples when I usually have at least 1 or2 new ones a day. I really hope this is the answer to my prayers.

I'll post back in about a week or two with an update on the condition of my skin.

UPDATE: Ok, just a quick update. I do have 1 pimple and 1 cyst forming at the moment which still isn't bad for me, but I'd also like to note that I have also been on Dan's regime for about a month, so it could be a purging process as well.

Edited by Bambino

I think I am going to try this out! My face is 100% clear due to high percentages of BP and AHA but my back/ shoulders are still breaking out because I dont want to bleach all my clothes with BP!!! Hopefully this will help the bacne lol Ill repost with my results :)

This is going to be my first post, but I've been lurking the boards for years. Anyway, I'm 26 and i've had acne since I was 15 and at the age of 21 I started forming cystic acne. Like many people, I have tried about everything in the book to get clear but to avail.

I have started Sundown Naturals flush free niacin 500 MG a few days ago and so far, so good. I've not had any new pimples when I usually have at least 1 or2 new ones a day. I really hope this is the answer to my prayers.

I'll post back in about a week or two with an update on the condition of my skin.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. I just started this morning and will keep this thread updated on my status.

Is a very interesting post, just like to add something if you taking a b complex vitamin supplement the way that you can tell if it's cheap for a high quality B vitamin is by looking at B12 it can say two things. cyanocobalam which means it is made of out of cyanide which is a byproduct that your body has to get rid of or you can spend a little bit more money and gets the b 12 that say methylcobalamin this is the B12 that your body uses so it goes straight to the source with no byproducts of cyanide.

Hope this helps in any way.

Edited by matthew wardell

I just thought I'd add to the original post on this thread

THIS SH*T WORKS!

For all the people saying the niacin isn't working for you...I'm terribly sorry because thanks to the original poster of this thread, my skin is about 85-90% clear (i went from having mild-moderate acne on my face and SEVERE acne on my back to having NONE)

I can really tell the difference if i don't take this once a day. For the past two weeks I've been experimenting. It seems that when i take a day or two off from taking it ill get a couple zits on my face and back...but if i take it the next day my skin looks and feels amazing. I also use BP and AHA on my face and only AHA on my back, which helps but the Niacin is really what does the job.

I just hope it's safe bc i plan on taking 500mg of this per day for like the rest of my life lol

and to the kid asking about the spring valley 500mg non flush niacin...thats the same kind i use so you're in the Clear! nice pun huh ; )

THIS SH*T WORKS!

For all the people saying the niacin isn't working for you...I'm terribly sorry because thanks to the original poster of this thread, my skin is about 85-90% clear (i went from having mild-moderate acne on my face and SEVERE acne on my back to having NONE)

I can really tell the difference if i don't take this once a day. For the past two weeks I've been experimenting. It seems that when i take a day or two off from taking it ill get a couple zits on my face and back...but if i take it the next day my skin looks and feels amazing. I also use BP and AHA on my face and only AHA on my back, which helps but the Niacin is really what does the job.

I just hope it's safe bc i plan on taking 500mg of this per day for like the rest of my life lol

and to the kid asking about the spring valley 500mg non flush niacin...thats the same kind i use so you're in the Clear! nice pun huh ; )

THIS SH*T WORKS!

I just started taking 500 flush free niacin yesterday--I so hope it works!! I use topical niacin, along with zinc(50 mgs)and a b complex and B5 and MSM and evening primrose-----it seemed to me that my skin tingled just a LITTLE bit after taking the niacin, not unpleasant or anything, but i wondered if that is normal with the flush free? I got a HORRIBLE reaction from the flush kind, I won't be trying that again!!!!

I've just started reading this thread, and am very eager to try Niacin... but I have a few questions! Right now I am on my second month of doxycycline 50mg per day, and retin-a micro .1%. I still have painful cysts all over my chin/jawline, I don't know if doxy and retin a are working or if it hasn't been long enough. I would love to try niacin, but is it safe to take while I'm on the antibiotics? I also take alot of other vitiamins: B-12 shot monthly, D3/omega 3 B50/Magnesium daily. Is it safe to take with these vitamins?

I'm not sure if it's good to be taking all those or not, nor would i trust medical opinions from people on an internet forum lol. You should really ask your dermatologist what he/she thinks about it. I know when i started taking Niacin I quit taking zinc just in case. It wasn't really helping anyway.

Well i guess ill update on my niacin experience so far...

So far its working PRETTY Damn good.

Not to be a party pooper, because this sounds very interesting to me, but before I start anything new I always look up potential of overdose info. Some Vitamins and Minerals are great, unless you get too much, and then they can make you sick. If you are going to try this and have any strange symptoms, cut it back.

Signs and symptoms of a niacin overdose include:

Rapid heartbeat

Skin flushing combined with dizziness

Itching

Nausea and vomiting

Abdominal pain

Diarrhea

Severe liver damage (hepatoxicity)

If you're concerned about a potential niacin overdose, talk to your doctor to make sure you're taking the correct amount. If you think you may have overdosed, seek medical attention immediately.

Edited by Alona

I have an appt with my GP for a general check up in October, so I'm going to wait until then to start any new vitamins. I do take alot as it is and don't feel comfortable starting niacin without asking him first. Especially when I read online alot about liver damage, etc.

Just keeping everyone updated with my experience with Niacin. If anyone has read my old post they can see how I've progressed.

I've been on Niacin for about 6 weeks now. As of right now I'm totally clear, but I don't know if niacin is the main reason why. Back about 3 weeks ago I did have a breakout with about 5 pimples that did get inflamed. It took about 2 weeks and now they're gone. About 2 weeks ago I also did a ViPeel. That could also be another reason why I'm totally clear. All I know is whatever it is I'm doing I'm going to keep doing it. I've suffered severe acne for the past 9 years and this is the first time I've ever been clear without the help of antibiotics.

Not to be a party pooper, because this sounds very interesting to me, but before I start anything new I always look up potential of overdose info. Some Vitamins and Minerals are great, unless you get too much, and then they can make you sick. If you are going to try this and have any strange symptoms, cut it back.

Rapid heartbeat

Itching

Nausea and vomiting

Abdominal pain

Diarrhea

If you're concerned about a potential niacin overdose, talk to your doctor to make sure you're taking the correct amount. If you think you may have overdosed, seek medical attention immediately.

I'm sure there are risks, but as of yet I haven't shown any symptoms. I don't even flush when on the bottle it clearly states that is is the flushing kind.

I take 250 mg in the morning and 500 mg at night.

Edited by JimSta

Rapid heartbeat

Itching

Nausea and vomiting

Abdominal pain

Diarrhea

I'm sure there are risks, but as of yet I haven't shown any symptoms. I don't even flush when on the bottle it clearly states that is is the flushing kind.

I take 250 mg in the morning and 500 mg at night.

Wow, you don't flush? That is cool---I took 1/2 of a 250 pill and i flushed HORRIBLE----do you take it with food or anything?

I did not how to use the board properly and unintentionally created a new post for my niacin experiment.

Sorry.

Edited by johnk10

Hi,

Does anyone know if niacin is any good for non - inflamed acne? I get a few pimples now and again but apart from that, it's the sml bumps under the skin that feel rough to the touch, that I suffer with.

Just wondered if it was only good for cystic acne, going by the posts, or does it improve the condition of your skin generally?

many thanks ; )

I just wanted to thank Konichiwa5 (the original maker of this post) and encourage others to go out there and pick up a bottle of Niacin. You will not regret it. Thanks to Konichiwa I was able to enjoy basically my whole summer without the stress of dealing with the headache of acne. I can honestly say that Niacin has cleared me up and gave me my life back. I used to get inflamed cysts along my jaw line as well as daily breakouts, but now my break outs are to a minimum and I can’t even remember the last time I had a cyst. The only time I experience break outs are at the time of my menstrual and even than I am able to leave my house with confidence. Once again thank you thank thank you thank you. It’s great to have something else your mind other than how horrible your face is. (BTW I've been using “Finest†flush free niacin, 500mg once a day for about 2months)