Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
konichiwa5

ACNE CURED at 39! NO SH**!

Does Niacin work for non-inflammatory acne (closed comedones)? I have horrible "flat acne" all over my cheeks and I get the occassional cystic acne along my jawline. I've had enough!

I rarely ever break out with inflammed zits. Like I said, I just have a horrible case of closed comedones...has anyone with this type of acne tried niacin?

P.S. Flushing sounds kind of fun. Kids are going to stop taking mom and dad's painkillers and resort to flushing. Cheaper and more accessible? Kidding. I probably shouldn't say that.

*Most* of my acne has been cystic. The whiteheads I do get are usually hormone related, and go away in a couple days.

I used to get blackheads/comedones on my shoulders. I'm not anymore. While I can't say 100% that it's due to the niacin, for the price, it's worth a shot. Meijer, WalMart, Walgreens, etc., all have specials about once a month for buy one, get one free.

As I stated, it was not an overnight cure, and still working on the one cystic. My scars from previous cystic are slowly fading. Hoping within the next month, the remaining one will go away as well.

I started reading about everyone's experiences with Niacin last night and it seems like it could really be worth a shot. The only problem right now for me is that I am also on Spironolactone, for hormonal acne (which I am not positive I even have) and I am about 12 days in. I want to try the Niacin as well with it, just hoping one doesn't interfere with the other. I wondered if anyone else had taken the two together or anything similar?

Some people have really had some fantastic results with the Niacin.. I look forward to trying it!!

You know you can just buy a bottle at your local pharmacy right?

So I definitely don't want to speak too soon but this is finishing up day 2 on the niacin. I am actually taking 1,000mg 500 twice a day. I researched a lot before deciding to do this, and several sources state that niacin is a water soluble vitamin and will merely wash out of the system without harm at this amount. I have however seen that 3 grams a day can be very hazardous to one's health. Anyway.. as I said I don't want to speak too quickly but I have already noticed that my skin is feeling different, my pores are getting smaller and two large cysts are getting smaller pretty fast and definitely more quickly than usual.

So this is two days for me. I will check back in a week or so.

It may also be good to note that this is only one step in many for me. I have changed my diet dramatically over the course of the last four months, I barely eat any oil and if I do its usually Extra Virgin Coconut oil. I eat lots of fresh foods and make most of my meals, I exercise very very regularly and my stress level is not very high. I also did a cleansing process a month ago, so I am thinking this may be part of the reasons for such a speedy difference.

OK I am at a week now on the niacin. I have not gotten any cysts since beginning this. Which is a big deal as of late. (also I get my period next week and am still clear which is RARE) Overall my complexion looks 5 times better. I still have to exfoliate to get all the deep blackheads out and everything so this is the reason I am not 100% clear. Also my jawline is still clearing up and I think that is due to the fact that I am on Spironolactane for hormonal acne. But when I say clear up its not even bad, its a little bumpy and lessening everyday I feel it but can't really see it.

Another note, I don't get greasy skin during the day anymore I used to have to blot my face all the time. Not anymore!! Which I still cannot believe. Overall I spend 80% less time on my face. And this past week I have barely worried about it. After I am on this for a month, I am going to stop using my other Glyco peel product at night, and just get a microdermabrasion scrub to keep lessening any discoloration or scarring. During the day I don't use anything on my face, I lightly moisturize and put makeup on,, that now looks great all day!!

I think this is a keeper!!! YAYYAYYY!! If you feel at your witts end just give it a try.. Also research how much is too much.. I think some people may initially need a higher dosage.. I plan to cut back after a month but right now I take 2-3 500mg pills. Which 2-3grams is the danger zone from what I have read. But as I said this dosage is temporary... I will lessen it.

Good luck everyone!!

I just started taking niacinamide this week for bacne. I have noticed pretty good results just after a few days. I'm taking about 300mg/day along with 50mg chelated zinc.

I guess Niacin has been helping for me, but I still get hormonal breakouts.... I think it's improved my skin it's hard to say since I am still using RAM....

Edited by Jaka

the reason niacin can help some people is because >>

niacin is is an absolutely essential nutrient in 2 critical co-enzymes within the energy cycle of

the mitochondria. Without enough of it available your mitochondria simply cannot process the glucose into ATP.

By supplementing this vital nutrient you can assure your body and its skin of improved cell respiration, reduced risk of cancer, and increased ATP production.

up the conversion of glucose into energy in the mitochondria of the cell. As this happens, the surplus sugar in the skin cells will disappear, and the bacteria in the skin pores will

find themselves starving for a lack of food.

(taken from an online source)

I been taking niacin for 5 months or more and I still break out so it doesnt work for everyone.but I had to try it.I took 500 mg a day of the non flush.I got a little red even on the non flush at first but after a few weeks that stoped.So I guess it doesnt work for everyone.just give it a try and see.

Edited by ctbo

niacinamide is for acne and skin problems, niacin is for lowering cholesterol. Make sure you're taking the correct one.

I found this forum last night when i was researching on accutane. I am 29/M and i've been having mild to medium acne for the last 15 years or so. Every now and then i'll have clear skin for 2-3 days and all of a sudden 10-15 whiteheads will ruin my happiness for a few weeks :eh: ... I've tried every freaking thing and nothing works. Finally i was considering accutane and was hooked on to this thread last night.

I went to walmart this morning and got myself niacin 500 mg the flushing type. Just had my dinner and my first dose. Have'nt exp flushing yet :) ..i took some pics last night so that i can compare my progress every week.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread and providing input regarding your exp.

Just to let you know what kind of stuff I'm taking it's "Sundown Naturals" Time Release 500MG Niacin.

This is nicotinic acid, used in larger doses to affect cholesterol, not tested against acne, comes with a risk of liver damage (consult your doctor on whether 500mg/day indefinitely represents significant risk). It is not niacinamide which has been studied with acne, is not relevant to cholesterol, and has a safety record of being used in large doses.

the surplus sugar in the skin cells will disappear, and the bacteria in the skin pores will

find themselves starving for a lack of food.

Can't find any actual research to support that scenario.

IMHO, it's more likely that people live in dim light, leads to carb malabsorption, which interferes with tryptophan digestion needed to make melatonin. Large amounts of tryptophan can be used up to manufacture niacin in the body, so by overdosing with niacin, you ensure that more tryptophan is available to make up for the fact you're not digesting it properly. Won't work for everybody because the tryptophan (and there may still be insufficient amounts due to the digestion problem) still has to cross the blood-brain barrier so the pineal gland can turn it into melatonin. The anti-oxidant that melatonin stimulates cells to create requires zinc, which is also harder to digest when living in dim light. That's why the Nicomide folks include zinc with their formulation of niacinamide. This theory predicts that even people having success with taking some form of niacin can increase their acne by simply disrupting their sleep cycle (lots of caffeine in the evening, sleeping in lots of light pollution, sleeping few hours, going to bed at vastly different times every few days). Conversely, people not having success with niacin might have more success by tending their sleep cycle. It would be interesting to know if anybody working a swing shift has the slightest success using niacin to treat acne. I would expect not much.

Roll your own Nicomide.

just an update...no immediate results after taking niacin. I've been taking it for just 5 days. I know its too early...i'll continue for 2 months and see if it helps.

Hello. This is my 1st post. I registered just due to this topic. I am very glad to hear of all of you who have been helped by Niacin. However, I just want to warn you to all be CAREFULL with Niacin! Even though it is a natural vitamin, Niacin can be very dangerous if taken in the wrong dosage.

My husband was told to take Niacin by his doctor to help with his high cholesterol. Im sure the doctor advised a safe dosage, but my husband decided "Its natural, and if some if good, more must be better" (duh). Well, to make a long story short, his liver is damaged now and he literally has an ultrasound tomorrow to determine the condition of his liver. We cant say for sure its due to the niacin yet, but suffice it to say when he told his Dr. the dosage he was taking, the Dr. actually looked scared. (and no, it didnt help the cholesterol either grrrrrr).

Please, please be careful with this stuff and talk to your Dr about recommended dosage! I am afraid folks will see some benefit and up the dosage. I dont want to say what is safe and what is not as far as dosage, and flushing vs non-flushing makes no difference. Please be careful!

Best of luck !

Cinnacracker

Hi people.

Pretty strange topic, i have to say. first 10 pages of lots of people with great results, and now 5 pages of people with practically no results. can someone comment on this?? i find it quite hard to understand ..

especially after reading a bit about no flush niacin on web.

how all this add together? people have great results with drug that has no effect on humans? anyone?? from first 10 pages?

Hi people.

Pretty strange topic, i have to say. first 10 pages of lots of people with great results, and now 5 pages of people with practically no results. can someone comment on this?? i find it quite hard to understand ..

how all this add together? people have great results with drug that has no effect on humans? anyone?? from first 10 pages?

sorry, dont know why links dont work...?

but you can find these articles, just type "no flush niacin" in google and read first three results.

Edited by lister_dar

I dunno why everyone HAS so many DOUBTS on NIACIN!!!

Let me tell you guys.. IT DOES WORK!!! I was almost at the verge of commiting suicide last couple of days.. and i totally mean it.. I thought there is NO MEANING in LIFE anymore with acne losing my personality and everything!!

But guess what..? I gave myself a second chancee... and i have to thank the poster for this NIACIN recommendation.. It worked for ME! i was having BIG PAINFUL ITCHY BUMPS/CYSTS a couple of days ago.. and now.. its been about 4 days? Its been drying up and healing at quite an impressive pace..

I thought I would just cancel off my plans for tmrw's NEW YEAR's PARTY.. But i think no longer have to... I just do this with a goood healthy diet.. AND my FACE FEELS normal again!! THANK YOU everyone!! I hope it continues to show improvement and amaze me!!

My husband was told to take Niacin by his doctor to help with his high cholesterol.

Then in that case, his doctor should have given him a prescription for extended-release niacin, that has an impressive safety record, and that would be unavailable to most of the folks here since it is not sold OTC. Are you saying he actually decided to up the dose on a prescription med without asking his doctor?

Or, if the doctor just said "go buy some niacin and take it", well... I guess I would be looking for a different doctor at that point. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which a competent doctor would point somebody to OTC niacin for cholesterol control, knowing that a widely tested and fairly safe prescription form is available, a formulation that simply can't be purchased OTC.

but suffice it to say when he told his Dr. the dosage he was taking, the Dr. actually looked scared. (and no, it didnt help the cholesterol either grrrrrr).

If he really upped the dosage, one wonders that the Doc didn't notice him using up his prescription early.

I dont want to say what is safe and what is not as far as dosage, and flushing vs non-flushing makes no difference.

Research seems fairly clear on this point. If you want to take "niacin" for acne, you should be taking it in the form of nicotinamide, which has a safety record with large doses (and is actually sold in 750mg/day pill for treating acne). If you want to take "niacin" for cholesterol control, you should be getting the relatively safe extended release prescription nicotinic acid from your doctor, not taking OTC forms of nicotinic acid, which are associated with increased risk of liver damage.

I hope you'll post again and reveal whether he was actually taking extended release prescription nicotinic acid or, if not, exactly what form of niacin he actually was taking on the questionable advice of his doctor.

We cant say for sure its due to the niacin yet, but suffice it to say when he told his Dr. the dosage he was taking, the Dr. actually looked scared. (and no, it didnt help the cholesterol either grrrrrr).

So what was the dosage?

Hi people.

I've been taking No-Flush Niacin (Inositol Hexanicotinate) 500mg for over 5 months and noticed a definite improvement. Everything in my original post still applies:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ACNE-CURE...49#entry2728349

:)

I've no solid idea of how it works but it seems to be doing something. My only slight concern is my alcohol intake and the combined effect on my liver. I never drink within several hours of taking Niacin.