Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Survivor540

Birth Control and Acne????

I think I might want to start taking birth control pills to help my mild acne and depression problems. What type of birth control would be most ideal to treat those two concerns with the least amount of side effects?

I think I might want to start taking birth control pills to help my mild acne and depression problems. What type of birth control would be most ideal to treat those two concerns with the least amount of side effects?

Hey there. Yaz def helped me. Especially because I suffer from severe pms. I had an initial break out though with yaz. The deep ones that hurt. It def helped with me being oily, I still suffer from acne but from what I remember....my acne is def. not as bad as it was before.

Sorry in advance, it's a bit of a novel.

Talk to your doctor. Everyone reacts differently, so what works for other people may not work for you, and vice versa. You may have to try several different pills before you find one that's right for you. Here are the ones I've been on:

Ortho Tricylen Lo: I had an awful time on this pill. Made me very depressed and overemotional. No effect on acne.

Aviane: This has been the only pill I've ever been on that I liked. No effect on acne, but no other side effects either. Unfortunately after about 6 months on it I started having heavy breakthrough bleeding and had to stop taking it.

Levlen 28: I can't remember why I didn't like this one. No noticeable effect on acne.

Levora: Absolutely killed my sex drive. Me and the hubby were pretty miserable. Again, no effect on acne.

Lo-Overal 28: I was only on this for a month before it was discontinued and the pharmacy switched me to something else, but it made me break out, so I wouldn't have kept using it anyway.

Lo-Ogestrel: Same as the one above, made me break out. Also made me emotional and depressed.

After trying 6 pills I was a little fed up, so I'm done with BCPs for the moment. I hope I haven't discouraged you; my doctor said I may just be one of those people who doesn't respond well to any kind of hormonal birth control.

Best of luck, just keep an open mind and remember that you'll likely have to try several different ones.