Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anom217

Zinc Supplement Effectiveness

I have had pretty bad acne for several years. I heard that taking zinc can help with this. I was looking at food sources for zinc and it seems that dairy contains a lot. For instance, a cup of milk or a serving of cheese each contain a mg of zinc, and you need about 10-15 mg daily, I believe. I drink a LOT of milk and usually eat other dairy items frequently, so it would seem I'm getting enough zinc from my dairy consumption.

So is there any point in taking zinc supplements if I may be getting enough zinc from my dairy intake? Is this true, or would it be much different if I started taking 10-15 mg zinc supplements?

10-15 mg isn't nearly enough to help with your acne. I think the lowest dose that would help is 30mg and I take around 150mg (mind you that is not the elemental zinc dosage which would be much lower). There was a study done with 100mg for over a year and people were fine taking it. But remember zinc is only slightly better than a placebo but still better than nothing.

Would I need to take other supplements to balance out the zinc? I've heard people mention you need to increase iron or copper intake if you take a lot of zinc. I'm also afraid taking too much zinc will increase my hair loss :(

I have noticed no thinning of my hair. But I also have really thick hair. I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

We get copper from lots of places most noticeably our drinking water (from the tap). I would not supplement with extra copper as this may interfere with your zinc absorption. Instead I would just watch for signs of copper deficiency and if you see it, then start supplementing with copper.

I have never heard anything relating iron and zinc. Most men do not need extra iron. In fact, when you donate blood you lose iron. And men who regularly donate blood are about 50% less likely to have a heart attack because of lower iron levels.

Hey are you sure that all of the dairy you're consuming isn't causing your acne? You might consider switching to rice milk and cutting out the cheese for a couple weeks and see what happens.