Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ohhellojanie

"Purging" vs. Breakout? And an AHA+ question

When you try a new product or regimen and you break out, how do you know if the product is clogging or irritating your skin and making you break out, or if it's actually helping and causing your pores to "purge"? My skin doesn't usually break out in papules or pustules, but sometimes when I try a new product I'll break out and don't know whether to stop my new regimen or to wait it out in hopes that it is clearing out my pores. How do you guys tell? Is there any difference in the kinds of pimples you get when you're purging as opposed to bad-reaction-to-a-product breakout?

Also, I'm using (and really loving so far) the baking soda scrub and apple cider vinegar toner regimen. I'm thinking of giving an alpha hydroxy acid product a try, but I'm wondering if the baking soda might interfere with the AHA+, given that baking soda is basic? I know the ACV is supposed to balance the pH of your skin but I don't know if I want to use both acids every day (I'm adding baking soda to my nightly cleanser). I'm really in love with the baking soda scrub and I don't want to give it up, so I was wondering if any of you have used it effectively combined with an AHA+.

Thanks!!

Hi! I've been using AHA for two straight weeks now in the evening before I sleep. At first I like the lway it made my face vibrant and well tone but now since I'm on the BP regimen and AHA, it made my face so dry and flaky. I noticed there are some small papules around my lips and cheeks, it could be the AHA irritating my skin. I'm not using any moisturizer because I'm afraid to put anything on face that's cream based it might cause me to break out. Now my pores are large again and purging. Should I stop using the AHA?

yeah so how do you tell the difference between purging and breaking out lol, i guess they are the same but purging will die down quickly in comparison to breaking out which would only get worse and worse?

I've heard that using AHA+ is best when it's once or twice or a week instead of every day. That way it exfoliates well without overirritating your skin :).

im using mandelic acid, it came with a regime. so im following that. it suggests every other day until after 2 weeks before you can use it daily.

woop

day4

ohhellojanie/bephso-

For me personally I know that I am having a reaction rather than a purge because the skin around my mouth becomes irritated. There usually isn't a visible rash, but that area is itchy and often discolored. I have NO idea why it happens in that area specifically when the product is being applied to my entire face, but that's how my skin reacts. I think want2beme hit the nail on the head though as far as the time difference.

bephso-

I don't understand why a gentle cleanser would cause you to purge though. Even though it's a desirable reaction, a purge is still a reaction and there shouldn't be any ingredients in a baby wash that would trigger this. I think this is most likely a bad reaction caused by your suggestions- the cleanser, the cleanser/proactiv interaction or proactiv/bp withdrawl? Honestly I would recommend making an appt with a derm to help you get started on finding the best regimen for your skin. BP probably isn't going to be effective on your non-inflammed acne and unless it was a cleanser that caused your acne, the wash isn't going to get rid of it either without additional agents. Using a gentle wash just eliminiates your cleanser as a contributor to future breakouts, it doesn't actually fight acne.

squall-

Find a moisturizer that doesn't clog pores. They're definitely out there! Your skin is not able to shed layers and rejuvinate properly without the additional moisture and it will result in more clogged pores and break outs- the exact thing you're trying to avoid!

Edited by MorningGlory

For me, there are two ways I can generally distinguish between an unfavorable reaction to something and a beneficial "purge".

The first involves the condition of the skin on my face that is not breaking out. Generally, regardless of the number of blemishes that have resulted, the clear areas of my skin react favorably, which may mean smaller/more refined pores, an overall "glow", less oiliness throughout the day, less pore buildup, smoother texture, etc. If I'm having an adverse reaction, the unblemished skin on my face will become inflamed, clogged, bumpy, too dry, etc.

The second way I gauge my reaction is by observing the blemishes themselves. If the blemishes are due to a purge, they, well, [as ambiguous as this is] feel different. Sometimes they tingle. Also, the life cycle of these blemishes seems to be significantly faster; going from no indication of a bump to surfacing, to draining, to healing within a day or two [or sometimes even within hours].

The condition of my unblemished skin is generally a more reliable indicator for me than examining the actual breakouts themselves.