Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sara_1987

Getting off my second course today

I just too my last pills.

I took a first course (went up to 60mg a day) for my mild to moderate acne (it wasn't too bad, but just very persistent). I cleared up in the 3rd month (patience everyone!) and I was clear completely after that and for about 7 to 8 month after quitting. Then the pimples started coming back (very mild, but after having been acne and thus worry-free for so long, it makes you feel even worse. It sucked)).

Any way, after another round of antibiotics without result my derm agreed to a 2nd course of accutane even though my acne was very mild. I never had problems the first time around though, not even badly dry skin or lips (a little though, but I just had flakiness, I never peeled or anything).

ANY WAY, I just took my last pills. I was on it for 5 months. I started out with 20mg and then went up to 40mg. So a pretty light dose. I have had hardly any side effects though. My skin isn't dry at all. I mean, for a bit there it was, but not terrible. Just some nice moisturizer and it was fine for the rest of the day. No peeling at all. And the last couple of weeks my skin is just totally soft and doesn't even need to be moisturized (I use a moisturizing cleanser though). My lips are a bit dry, but totally manageable.

For some reason this lack of side effects makes me worried the accutane won't be as efficient?!

The acne I had cleared right up very soon though (around the end of the first month/start of the second). And I have not had any pimples since then, so I'm very lucky.

Now, does anyone have any idea whether all this (the clearing up very fast and staying completely clear) gives me more chance of it never coming back after this second course?

I'm really scared to start getting pimples again in a couple of months. Although I'm hoping I've finally outgrown it as well, since I'm now 22 and I started getting skin problems at age 15.

So that was long so congratulations if you read it all! Any ideas whether I have a better chance of staying clear now?

Hope everything is going well for everyone on accutane. It can be bad, but for me it worked very well. It really changed my life and I had minimal side effects. I've been lucky and have had only very positive experiences with accutane. Good luck to you all and hang in there if your skin isn't clear yet!

i think Im in the same situation as you.. although this is only my first time on it.

Ive only taken it a week...today is sat and i started last saturday...

anyway, I by no means have severe acne on my face. I only get a few papules here and there. Usually like 1-3 at a time.. then by the time they go away i get new set of 1-3. So it looks like I had a bit but I really dont, just red dots and the 1-3 active ones at a time.

Im currently only on 40 mg a day. (2x20mg)

I was just wondering If you can explain more dtail about the acne u had befor eu started both times. Im trying to find someone to compare mine with. A lot of people I have talked to said they didnt clear until about the third month, but mostly all of them had some type of severe acne (cysts)... which I have never got on my face before, chest yes but face no.

I hope it works out for you. I've been hesitating to go back on accutane for the second time because it might just come back again. I truely know how it feels when youre acne comes and goes you really feel worse.

i think Im in the same situation as you.. although this is only my first time on it.

anyway, I by no means have severe acne on my face. I only get a few papules here and there. Usually like 1-3 at a time.. then by the time they go away i get new set of 1-3. So it looks like I had a bit but I really dont, just red dots and the 1-3 active ones at a time.

I was just wondering If you can explain more dtail about the acne u had befor eu started both times. Im trying to find someone to compare mine with. A lot of people I have talked to said they didnt clear until about the third month, but mostly all of them had some type of severe acne (cysts)... which I have never got on my face before, chest yes but face no.

I never had cystic acne either, not even close to that. I only had it on my face (mainly cheeks, sometimes forehead). I never really had like a while load of pimples, just maybe about 12 over my face. They were not huge, but big enough to look horrible. And they would get all inflamed and red (I was a picker). And yes, whenever some of them would heal I'd just get new ones in return.

I'd post pictures if I had them, but I felt so bad about my skin I always avoided the camera. I just looked terrible imo.

SO that was the first time I started and I did have an initial breakout (not TOO bad, but it certainly wasn't nice either). That kind of acne took until the 3rd month on accutane to clear up.

The second time my acne was much milder, I didn't have an IB and I cleared up after just a couple of weeks and haven't had any problems since. My skin now is very soft and smooth. I also have no red marks or anything. No one can tell I ever had a mild acne problem. I'm very fortunate I didn't scar because I did pick at times (not while on accutane though! I mean before throughout all those courses of antibiotics and topicals over the years).

It's just crazy when I see a picture of myself from years ago with acne. I just came across one yesterday and was horrified so I tore it into pieces and threw it in the trash right away. I just can't believe I looked like that and I had to go out like that. Now I'm so used to my clear skin and not having to worry about it in the morning (I used to cry almost every morning because i didn't want to go outside and even skipped school because of it). I just can't imagine having to go back to having embarassing skin problems. If it'll come back I'll be devastated so fingers crossed.

I think I might have a good chance this'll be it though, because my acne was never severe and I have had such good results with accutane.

I never had cystic acne either, not even close to that. I only had it on my face (mainly cheeks, sometimes forehead). I never really had like a while load of pimples, just maybe about 12 over my face. They were not huge, but big enough to look horrible. And they would get all inflamed and red (I was a picker). And yes, whenever some of them would heal I'd just get new ones in return.

I'd post pictures if I had them, but I felt so bad about my skin I always avoided the camera. I just looked terrible imo.

SO that was the first time I started and I did have an initial breakout (not TOO bad, but it certainly wasn't nice either). That kind of acne took until the 3rd month on accutane to clear up.

The second time my acne was much milder, I didn't have an IB and I cleared up after just a couple of weeks and haven't had any problems since. My skin now is very soft and smooth. I also have no red marks or anything. No one can tell I ever had a mild acne problem. I'm very fortunate I didn't scar because I did pick at times (not while on accutane though! I mean before throughout all those courses of antibiotics and topical over the years).

It's just crazy when I see a picture of myself from years ago with acne. I just came across one yesterday and was horrified so I tore it into pieces and threw it in the trash right away. I just can't believe I looked like that and I had to go out like that. Now I'm so used to my clear skin and not having to worry about it in the morning (I used to cry almost every morning because i didn't want to go outside and even skipped school because of it). I just can't imagine having to go back to having embarassing skin problems. If it'll come back I'll be devastated so fingers crossed.

I think I might have a good chance this'll be it though, because my acne was never severe and I have had such good results with accutane.

This could be my story!! I never had "severe" acne, but mine was VERY persistent...I always had several on my face and as soon as one would clear another would pop up. I finished my 1st course of accutane in March of 2007 and have been clear since, until about 6-8 months ago. I started getting a bunch of tiny bumps all around my mouth and chin and started getting blackheads, which I never really had before. Now I have 5-6 actual pimples that won't stop. I will start with 2 and then 2 or 3 will cluster around the others...then it will start on the other side of my chin. Not to mention the oil and generally LARGE pores all over. I kept telling myself that it was hormones or the weather (???) or my make-up brushes, yada, yada, yada....but it isn't any of that. It is just slowly creeping back up n me =(

I am getting married next June and would like to start trying for babies within the first couple years so I want to do another course of tane now....I don't want this putting my life on hold. It is very frustrating when you think you killed it and then it starts coming back!! Grrrr.....

I have an appt with the derm on July 8th, so I hope he is understanding about my frustration.